The Student Room Group

What martial art is best for a woman?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maggie_O
Hence me providing my list. You're the one who said you didn't know anything...

And yes people here clearly said a woman could not defend herself against a man, hence my outrage. And are suggesting "easier" martial arts because you're female.

#Weird.

Nobody has said that on here; they, like me, merely acknowledged the fact that generally speaking, women are weaker than men are and therefore the suggestion above have been aimed at me to take up a martial arts that counteracts that weakness.

You can pretend all you like that women and men have equal muscle strength but in the real world it doesn't work that way.
Says the girl asking which defense will be better for a human being based on their sex alone.

Ok I'll be the bigger person and put you on my ignore list. Mkay? Good night :h:
How do you know that?! XD And she can practice it and use it against a female, who are you people.

The answer is within the last post- it's about wrestling on the floor and you need strength. I've practiced it and I have to use my full strength as people will naturally resist your attempts to get them into holds with their full strength. If a man attacked you as a girl, you want to quickly strike and get away, not roll around on the floor vainly attempting to get his twice-as-thick-as-yours arms into certain positions so you can get him in a hold. He'd have pinned you down ages ago.

Who are we? We are people with views different from your own. Shock horror.
Reply 43
If you're patronizing me, no I can't tell you anything. The purpose of giving a list was saying that being a woman, you can practice any type of ****ing martial arts. I was put off by the title. I didn't know martial arts were gender-specific.

The reason people are being rude to you is because you're using this thread to push your little agenda.
Says the girl asking which defense will be better for a human being based on their sex alone.

Ok I'll be the bigger person and put you on my ignore list. Mkay? Good night :h:

You are not providing any advice here from an experienced perspective and you are annoying the other posters on this thread so yeah; if you could, I wouldn't mind if you did.

You tried and I appreciate that but I'm looking for suggestions from a realistic perspective; not a fantasy land perspective.
Night.
Reply 46
Well all of them really. But it honestly depends far more on the club you go to: I've tried different clubs before settling to one, and I found that in general the family friendly kind of clubs are not as physically exhausting as the clubs that competes regularly.

Muay thai, kickboxing were the ones that had most impact on me, mostly because everyone n the club were much older than me, and the coach were really strict when it came to training.

All of our sessions consisted of 20-30mins jogging or skipping, long fast pad works (despite already being fit, we were constantly being challenged and pushed hard by every member), group work and then sparring. We had a weekend session focusing solely on fitness.

You could try to do two different ones (such as BJJ and boxing).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dreamlover
The answer is within the last post- it's about wrestling on the floor and you need strength. I've practiced it and I have to use my full strength as people will naturally resist your attempts to get them into holds with their full strength. If a man attacked you as a girl, you want to quickly strike and get away, not roll around on the floor vainly attempting to get his twice-as-thick-as-yours arms into certain positions so you can get him in a hold. He'd have pinned you down ages ago.

Who are we? We are people with views different from your own. Shock horror.

Thank you, this is what I thought; no point trying to take down and subdue someone stronger than you, is there?

So what would be a good example of a striking art?
Again, assuming your main goal is to be able to kick ass, muay thai is supposed to be one of the most effective striking arts. But the good thing about martial arts is it's no bad thing to start with one and move to another- it won't be a waste. If I were you I'd go to all the local clubs and watch a session of each- you might find that the club matters more than the art you do as different clubs train in very different ways.
Original post by kkboyk
Well all of them really. But it honestly depends far more on the club you go to: I've tried different clubs before settling to one, and I found that in general the family friendly kind of clubs are not as physically exhausting as the clubs that competes regularly.

Muay thai, kickboxing were the ones that had most impact on me, mostly because everyone n the club were much older than me, and the coach were really strict when it came to training.

All of our sessions consisted of 20-30mins jogging or skipping, long fast pad works (despite already being fit, we were constantly being challenged and pushed hard by every member), group work and then sparring. We had a weekend session focusing solely on fitness.

You could try to do two different ones (such as BJJ and boxing).

Thank you again; all good advice from you :smile:

Could you learn two different martial arts concurrently or would you get confused between the two? If so, which would you recommend to compliment a striking art?
Original post by dreamlover
Again, assuming your main goal is to be able to kick ass, muay thai is supposed to be one of the most effective striking arts. But the good thing about martial arts is it's no bad thing to start with one and move to another- it won't be a waste. If I were you I'd go to all the local clubs and watch a session of each- you might find that the club matters more than the art you do as different clubs train in very different ways.

I can't rate you again so PRSOM

Thanks again anyway; I will take all your advice on board :smile:
Reply 51
BJJ
Reply 52
I used to do Ju-Jitsu but I'm really not good at fighting, violence, self defense etc.:laugh:

But it was enjoyable.
Original post by MJ1012
BJJ

How much physical strength do you need for that?
Original post by Goaded
I used to do Ju-Jitsu but I'm really not good at fighting, violence, self defense etc.:laugh:

But it was enjoyable.

I see. What kind of moves did you do?
All! We can do all dammit, let's go!!

Jujitsu!

Taekwondo!

Pencak Silat!

Judo!

Kung-fu!

Wushu!

Shorin Ryu karate!

Wado ryu karate!

****o ryu karate! :erm: censored? Pronounced Sheeto...

Goju ryu karate!

Boxing!

Wrestling!

Fencing!

Streetfighting :erm:

Sumo as well! I've seen female sumo! :eek:

I do not want to learn aikido. Looks like rolling and slapping but I suppose it's better than nothing...

You forgot Wing chun & Muay Thai senpai :tongue:
Since women are generally weaker (sorry but they are) you might want to look at some martial arts that use an opponents strength against them like aikido or jujitsu.

Overall, krav maga is good. It was developed by the Israeli army and it's very brutal. It includes bringing your enemy down fast and effectively rather than using traditional methods that might not work very well. It focuses on hard situations that you would probably find yourself in like if you were about to be stabbed or shot and pretty much allows you to overwhelm your opponent before they overwhelm you.
Original post by mellowman
Since women are generally weaker (sorry but they are) you might want to look at some martial arts that use an opponents strength against them like aikido or jujitsu.

Overall, krav maga is good. It was developed by the Israeli army and it's very brutal. It includes bringing your enemy down fast and effectively rather than using traditional methods that might not work very well. It focuses on hard situations that you would probably find yourself in like if you were about to be stabbed or shot and pretty much allows you to overwhelm your opponent before they overwhelm you.

Does it matter which type of ju-jitsu it is? What's the difference between them anyway if you don't mind me asking
However, krav maga is much more militaristic which is good with fighting but you're much more likely to miss out on the philosophy and spirituality of traditional martial arts like chi and great quotes that you find with traditional sensei's like:

"Water can flow or it can crash"

or

""Use the finger, use the foot, your body is you're weapon, RedHead-san"
Original post by mellowman
However, krav maga is much more militaristic which is good with fighting but you're much more likely to miss out on the philosophy and spirituality of traditional martial arts like chi and great quotes that you find with traditional sensei's like:

"Water can flow or it can crash"

or

""Use the finger, use the foot, your body is you're weapon, RedHead-san"

I'm not really interested in the philosophy or spirituality side of things if I'm honest; my primary concern is, if I'm ever in a situation where I need to physically defend myself; would I be able to hurt someone enough to survive?

Quick Reply

Latest