The Student Room Group

Non-Russell group degree = less likely to get a job?

I was just thinking about this.

I know it depends on the degree classification and subject, but will getting a degree from e.g. Nottingham Trent or Manchester metropolitan or any ex-poly put you at a disadvantage?

So say a 2:1 in History from Manchester metropolitan vs. a 2:1 in History from the University of Manchester. Are they both equal in terms of value and worth?

Scroll to see replies

i'd stick to ranking rather than russel vs non russel. Some great non russel uni's too.
Reply 2
Depends, teaching no, law,yes.
Medicine is an example of a course where it doesn't matter what university you took it at.
Original post by Maker
Depends, teaching no, law,yes.

Ok, what if you just want a 9-5 office job? Will thr university you studied at be taken into account?
Reply 5
I go to a University that is ranked higher than many Russell group unis - I may be biased, but I would have thought rank would be more important than its status as a RG.
I mean a good job, enough for house, mortgage, a car and bills, amongst other things.
Few people outside of TSR and universities know what the Russell Group is.

Much of the recent obsession about the Russell Group on TSR is probably a result of marketing. 5 years ago, people didn't seem to be that bothered about the Russell Group; instead, it was rankings - usually top 10 or top 20. But in the last few years there does seem to be a marked increased in people talking about the Russell Group, and I have also noticed that universities that are a member of it use it as a selling point too.
Original post by Taimmi
I go to a University that is ranked higher than many Russell group unis - I may be biased, but I would have thought rank would be more important than its status as a RG.

So the university you attend wouldn't impact on your chances of being called for a job interview?
Original post by JohnGreek
Look at employer rep from several sources, and graduate prospects.

RG is an arbitrary collection of research-based unis, and some non-RGs have world-leading faculties in certain courses (St. Andrews - English Lit./ Bath -Architecture)

@Pride&Prejudice What career path do you wanna go down?

Well I'm in my first year of Law at Manchester, but I don't want to be solicitor or anything legal related tbh.

I just want an office job, maybe a civil servant - but isn't that competitive? Do I stand a chance?
Original post by Pride&Prejudice
So the university you attend wouldn't impact on your chances of being called for a job interview?

Unlikely I would have thought. On a serious note pick the uni you feel happiest at then you will do well in your studies and get a decent grade.

What were you thinking of studying?
Russell goup doesnt mean anything. Most RG unis are ****
Original post by Bill_Gates
i'd stick to ranking rather than russel vs non russel. Some great non russel uni's too.

Neither is particularly reliable. Some really questionable rankings out there.
Original post by AmyPilot
Unlikely I would have thought. On a serious note pick the uni you feel happiest at then you will do well in your studies and get a decent grade.

What were you thinking of studying?

I'm already at university, I'm in my first year of law, I was just thinking whether my degree is worth studying.
Original post by JohnGreek
Manchester's got a decent rep, I shouldn't worry other than for super-high powered jobs :smile: Perhaps try doing a postgraduate at a higher-ranked uni to capitalise on its name?

I did want to study till masters, but I don't know how the funding for that is like.
Reply 15
Ok, what if you just want a 9-5 office job? Will thr university you studied at be taken into account?

I don't think it makes a lot of difference to most employers where you get your degree from. The FT 100 companies may be more snobbish and only want people from oxbridge or the Russell group.

I have a BSc from a RG uni and a MSc from a 1992 uni and no-one has ever mentioned anything about where I got my degrees from when I applied for jobs and I have worked in the NHS and in private companies.

Actually, I tell a lie, one person did ask me about my BSc but only because he went to the same uni as me.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm already at university, I'm in my first year of law, I was just thinking whether my degree is worth studying.

Yeah just seen the post that you are at Manchester - which is a RG uni and well regarded, assuming that you mean Uni of Manchester - but either way sure you will do fine.

My mum works with people in local government with degrees from all sorts of unis (including ex polys - her immediate boss is a MMU graduate).

I'm in my second year at Man Met but I do a health care related subject so the uni status thing isn't really an issue for me (U of Manchester was my insurance choice).

Sure you will be fine!
Original post by Maker
I don't think it makes a lot of difference to most employers where you get your degree from. The FT 100 companies may be more snobbish and only want people from oxbridge or the Russell group.

I have a BSc from a RG uni and a MSc from a 1992 uni and no-one has ever mentioned anything about where I got my degrees from when I applied for jobs and I have worked in the NHS and in private companies.

Actually, I tell a lie, one person did ask me about my BSc but only because he went to the same uni as me.

Ok thanks, maybe I should stop worrying now. Lol.

Did you get your job straight after your Bsc? Or after you completed your masters?
Original post by AmyPilot
Yeah just seen the post that you are at Manchester - which is a RG uni and well regarded, assuming that you mean Uni of Manchester - but either way sure you will do fine.

My mum works with people in local government with degrees from all sorts of unis (including ex polys - her immediate boss is a MMU graduate).

I'm in my second year at Man Met but I do a health care related subject so the uni status thing isn't really an issue for me (U of Manchester was my insurance choice).

Sure you will be fine!

Ok thank you. your from Manchester too?

What degree do you study?
Original post by Mayhem™
Medicine is an example of a course where it doesn't matter what university you took it at.

Well yeah because only great uni's offer medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending