The Student Room Group

Holidays parents don't want to go

I made a thread here about a holiday a few weeks ago. I still have my budget of £2,500. I have asked my parents to go on a holiday again this year and they were clearly reluctant.

Tonight I got into a row with them and they told me not to ask them again, but said they may go this summer, they don't know. They can definitely afford it.

It is annoying for me personally as I really enjoy going on holidays. I am tired of asking them, my father never wants to go and just goes to please us. I always envy the people with parents who go on big long holidays to tropical places - not for that the fact that we can't afford it, more the fact that my parents never want to go anywhere.

As I said, I feel incredibly guilty asking them and I am not prepared to do this anymore. I wish I had someone to go away somewhere with but I don't. I don't want to stay here all summer.

I am 20 years of age, I thought by this age that I could go on holidays by myself at this age but I still look about 16 and don't think i'd have a second idea what to do if something happened while away. It just wouldn't work well.

It really get's on my grind that I can't get out of here even when I offer to pay a substantial amount. I don't understand why they won't just go, 2/3 weeks out of the year wouldn't bloody kill them. My father keeps giving off to me about how I'm spending my money on holidays but it is what I want to DO, I never buy myself anything or go out drinking so why not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Just go away by yourself or find someone to go away with.
Original post by Frostyjoe

I am 20 years of age, I thought by this age that I could go on holidays by myself at this age but I still look about 16 and don't think i'd have a second idea what to do if something happened while away. It just wouldn't work well.

The **** kind of excuse is that?

If you're serious about wanting to go away just do it.
I've got little sympathy I'm afraid. Did it ever occur to you that now you're 20, your parents might want a holiday to themselves next time they go away? Or that you should probably learn to grow up a little?

When things go wrong and you're on your own, that's the best way to learn how to adapt. I've got a friend who's been babied by his parents his whole life and had never spent more than a day away from them. It was crap - on the plane, he wouldn't sit in the aisle "just in case", wouldn't sit in the middle "just in case", wouldn't spend any time at the restaurant in departures lounge "just in case", and once we were there, we only left the hotel once - he wouldn't go to the beach "just in case", he wouldn't go out on the strip "just in case"..... anyway you get my point. I'm not surprised actually - he hasn't been allowed to ride a bicycle ever since he grazed his knee when he was 12. He's 21 now, not much has changed.

What I'm saying is that if you're that scared to go away without your parents, you should take the plunge, and try to make the most of it - take life as it comes and roll with it. If things go pear shaped, just deal with it and adapt. Whatever you do, don't just curl up into a ball and wait it out, because you'll be wasting your time and money. And if that means if you go with a friend and they end up having to look after you, it'll be wasting their time and money too.

Why not try a solo's holiday? Going away without your parents doesn't mean you have to go and stay in solitude in a deserted shepherd's hut in the hills waiting to get bummed.
Go. Alone. I went around South America solo when I was 19, (without a phone), and came back feeling as though I could handle anything that the world threw at me.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know about anyone else; but at 20, I'd rather not go on holiday with my parents.
Reply 6
Me and mother will go to New York for 8 days. That's all I can afford this year.

I will be saving for a year abroad next year onwards.
I don't understand why you don't just go somewhere by yourself?

The only way to develop confidence as a traveller is to jump in at the deep end and go. I did it when I was 17, despite looking very young and being very timid, and haven't looked back. I still look much younger than my age- this has advantages and disadvantages. You only know how to deal with challenging situations when you are faced with them and have to deal with them by yourself. Go somewhere safe and easy, or on a solo group holiday first if you have anxieties about how you might cope.
Reply 8
Can't you ask people on those travel sites if they would go with you?
I went abroad for the first time last year as an adult. I went camping with a friend and a group of his friends. With the expection of one, I'd never met, or spoken to any of his friends at all. I enjoyed myself.

I then went away to Dublin for 5 days alone (I was meant to be meeting friends there which didn't happen) and it didn't work out. But until I tried, I didn't know that.

You're old enough to go abroad by yourself. It's not as if you're so severely disabled that going abroad alone is impossible either.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I went abroad for the first time last year as an adult. I went camping with a friend and a group of his friends. With the expection of one, I'd never met, or spoken to any of his friends at all. I enjoyed myself.

I then went away to Dublin for 5 days alone (I was meant to be meeting friends there which didn't happen) and it didn't work out. But until I tried, I didn't know that.

You're old enough to go abroad by yourself. It's not as if you're so severely disabled that going abroad alone is impossible either.

Hi,

Could I ask why/how your Dublin trip didn't work out? I hope it hasn't put you off.

I also went to Dublin by myself; I enjoyed it but, with the focus being very much on pubs and going out, I thought it would be a much better place to visit with friends.

I've travelled quite a lot by myself and generally try to avoid places where the emphasis is on going out and focus more on places with lots of sightseeing and outdoors activities to fill my time.
Reply 11
Original post by standreams
I don't understand why you don't just go somewhere by yourself?

The only way to develop confidence as a traveller is to jump in at the deep end and go. I did it when I was 17, despite looking very young and being very timid, and haven't looked back. I still look much younger than my age- this has advantages and disadvantages. You only know how to deal with challenging situations when you are faced with them and have to deal with them by yourself. Go somewhere safe and easy, or on a solo group holiday first if you have anxieties about how you might cope.

It's funny because I commute back and forth from England every few weeks and it doesn't do me any harm.

Just find it hard to go to a foreign country.
Reply 12
Original post by Tiger Rag

I'm not physically disabled. Infact you'd never be able to tell I had anything.
Original post by standreams
Hi,

Could I ask why/how your Dublin trip didn't work out? I hope it hasn't put you off.

I also went to Dublin by myself; I enjoyed it but, with the focus being very much on pubs and going out, I thought it would be a much better place to visit with friends.

I've travelled quite a lot by myself and generally try to avoid places where the emphasis is on going out and focus more on places with lots of sightseeing and outdoors activities to fill my time.

Being disabled, it was a bit difficult to get around safely. Ideally, I need someone to go with me. It wasn't Dublin specifically. I did enjoy the things I did there. It was just being able to get around without problems. That being said, the locals there were wonderful with helping me. :smile: And so were the airport staff.
Don't you have any mates? :K:
Reply 15
Not really and most people my age don't have my budget.
I haven't read your other thread. You're 20 but you come across as rather whiny. How on earth are you going to cope with life if you're too afraid to try new things? Why is it "hard to go to a foreign country"? No wonder your parents don't want to go on holiday with you if you're arguing with them to go.
Reply 17
Booking NYC tomorrow but can't decide if it's worth a second visit. Only been once and it was for less than 4 days.

This trip would be 9 days, we did see alot but not all. What does everyone think? Do you think we would be able to have stuff to do and not get bored? I know people who go there year after year but i'm not sure...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Frostyjoe
Booking NYC tomorrow but can't decide if it's worth a second visit. Only been once and it was for less than 4 days.

This trip would be 9 days, we did see alot but not all. What does everyone think? Do you think we would be able to have stuff to do and not get bored? I know people who go there year after year but i'm not sure...

I'd say 9 days is too long for NYC, especially if you've been before. But that's just me; it all depends how long you need to feel you've 'seen' somewhere, what museums/galleries you want to visit etc.

Personally I'd prefer to go somewhere I hadn't been before- the world is big and life is short. There are very few places I have happily returned to or would go back to at the expense of visiting somewhere new.

Maybe go to NYC and take the train up/down to Boston or Philadelphia for a few days to see a different city?

Are you going by yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest