The Student Room Group

Applications for PG courses

When did you all start applying for your PG courses? Was it as soon as you were back at uni to start your 3rd year, or did you wait a while?

Seem to be getting mixed messages from tutors about when to apply. Some say get all your forms ready to go so that when we're back in September, references can be written & forms sent off sooner rather than later. Others say wait until after Christmas

I'm planning to get all my forms etc ready so that they can be sent off early October time (we're back early September) - is this too early?
Reply 1
It all depends on the university and course. If you are applying for a PGCE then you really need to get your form in sooner rather than later, if you are chasing scholarships, then you often need to get the forms in sooner rather than later (early in the second term for the esrc). Other courses may accept applicants at the last minute.

Have you checked with the university/course you are applying to? You should just incase they have funding opportunities (which are competitive and very rare in some fields but worth a shot nonetheless).

Can I ask where you are applying to and for what course?
Reply 2
Have heard that the PGCE is ridiculously early.

Regarding the funding/scholarships - that's exactly what I thought. They may be few and far between but there's no harm in applying is there (obviously if you're averaging 43 then maybe not, but then again you probably wouldn't be going onto do a MA though)

Most of the courses I've looked at have said March roughly if you're applying for AHRC funding I think ~need to double check~

First course choice is the MA in Modern History at RHUL or possibly the MA in Victorian Media and Culture (am fascinated by the 19th century). Quite like the look of the KCL MA in Modern History as well but really need to have a more indepth look at it. Other possible choice is the History of Medicine MA at UCL

But RHUL is firm first choice for either of the MAs - courses look fantastic
Reply 3
anyone else offer any insights and tips for PG applications?
I applied in December/January of my final year. But my 1st choice course at LSE was already full by then. I'm actually happy though because I prefer the course I'm on now!
I applied in Feb?march of final year for my Masters. This way I was in time for funding (didnt get that tho). But I know folk who applied the week before and got on. If you have the cash, have the grades. Most unis will take your application anytime. Its just competative courses taht have strict deadlines.

Best thing i found with all the masters courses i applied to was contacting admission tutor adn getting my name known. most places wont have that many applications, and if they know you are keen before they see an application form, they will know that you are genuine adn not just applying on a whim.
Reply 6
^^^ best advice really. Cash and grades tend to be enough to get on most courses - nobody will turn down a student cluching a wad of cash if there is room and they looks as though they will pass.
is that cynical, yeah. But its true
Reply 8
thanks guys - a friend said that money & showing interest from the start really helps.

Oh decisions decisions - getting quite enthused by it though!
Reply 9
Depends - I know some people who are still in the process of applying for Masters courses in Business, and one girl I know who's on her Geography Masters right now didn't apply until May last year.

Applying to Oxford and/or Cambridge can put paid to that though - the deadline for my course at Oxford was January 12, and I didn't want to be caught up in the Christmas post, so I sent my application off before Christmas (might even have been at the end of November). Seeing as I was doing that for them, I thought I may as well just prepare all the material for my other applications as well and send them off at the same time. It's a lot of faff (particularly with getting references together) but it can be done nice and early.
Reply 10
I applied for mine in Feb/March I think, to start this September
Reply 11
thanks for all your info

Latest

Trending

Trending