The Student Room Group

As a new driver, do you hate dropping people home?

I only hate it when i dont know the location. I havent got a satnav yet so i depend on my friends direction. If i needed the 3rd exit right on a 3 lane roundabout, they would be like "oh my days just turn that waaaay! No keep going roundd then go thereee" and im striving between lanes like an idiot. its so terrifying when your driving on roads youve never been on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Aye, driving on peoples direction is normally a pain ESPECIALLY when they dont drive themselfs. I normally use my phone for GPS google maps is getting to the point where it is better than any other gps system ive used, integrated or otherwise.

Nowadays I just ask for a post code/street name and plug it in to maps.
Reply 2
completely agree, iv stopped doing lifts for mates now since they are **** with directions,il be doing 40 mph and they suddenly say "take this left" and i have to almost do emergency stops
I used to hate it when I was new, don't give a toss now. I guess as you gain experience, most big roundabouts and junctions are similar to what you've handled before anyway. My best mate has only very recently passed and I was guiding him on a long drive; I guided him through all the lanes on a big, complicated traffic-light roundabout that connects all the motorways and he was just like "Mate, how do you know where you're going?" so I explained how deciding what lane to be in is just a process of elimination, for example we still had an exit to pass and I could see that the two left lanes break off to the next exit up ahead of us, yet we'd be leaving at the exit after that one so we'd be swooping over into the new left lane after the other ones had broken off, if that makes sense. He was confused but when I pointed out a similar scenario on a similar roundabout just around the corner from us he seemed to understand a lot better. It's all drawing back on past experience.

Original post by Jamesd678
completely agree, iv stopped doing lifts for mates now since they are **** with directions,il be doing 40 mph and they suddenly say "take this left" and i have to almost do emergency stops

Yep, some people are awful with directions. I absolutely refuse to let anyone guide me nowadays, I just say nope, I've got my Sat Nav, what's the post code or name of the road? I can then see well in advance what my next maneuver is gonna be and can plan well ahead, plus I get a nice little diagram in the corner when it comes to roundabouts so that rather than exit-counting and all that I can see that I need to exit at, say, 2 o'clock if you're looking at the roundabout like a clock face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending