The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Accommodation

Hi,
I am currently looking into accommodation for Sept 2016 at the University of Leeds.

I would like accommodation that is lively, preferably with an en-suit and a fairly 'decent' room, although i would be willing to sacrifice an en-suit for a better social atmosphere.

I am open to suggestion on price and would just like some ideas on where the best accommodation is for my criteria.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0161qwer
Hi,
I am currently looking into accommodation for Sept 2016 at the University of Leeds.

I would like accommodation that is lively, preferably with an en-suit and a fairly 'decent' room, although i would be willing to sacrifice an en-suit for a better social atmosphere.

I am open to suggestion on price and would just like some ideas on where the best accommodation is for my criteria.

Thanks.

Are you looking for catered or self-catered residences? Central Village is a great example of a self-catered accommodation with nice en-suite rooms. I should know since I live here. Or if you're looking for catered accommodations, Charles Morris fits the bill because it also offers en-suite rooms. Both of these are on-campus as well (technically CV isn't, but it may as well be), which is another criteria you should specify: on or off-campus? Price is also dependent upon these factors; last time I checked catered was more expensive than self-catered, but it might depend. In terms of social atmosphere, I think that most accoms will offer this, but the ones I hear mentioned a lot are CV, Charles Morris, Henry Price (no en-suite rooms, I think), and perhaps a few of the off-campus residences. :smile: xx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by BookBird
Are you looking for catered or self-catered residences? Central Village is a great example of a self-catered accommodation with nice en-suite rooms. I should know since I live here. Or if you're looking for catered accommodations, Charles Morris fits the bill because it also offers en-suite rooms. Both of these are on-campus as well (technically CV isn't, but it may as well be), which is another criteria you should specify: on or off-campus? Price is also dependent upon these factors; last time I checked catered was more expensive than self-catered, but it might depend. In terms of social atmosphere, I think that most accoms will offer this, but the ones I hear mentioned a lot are CV, Charles Morris, Henry Price (no en-suite rooms, I think), and perhaps a few of the off-campus residences. :smile: xx

Hey, I'm considering applying for central village, would it be possible to ask you a few questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.xlx
Hey, I'm considering applying for central village, would it be possible to ask you a few questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure!! :smile: xx
Reply 4
Sure!! :smile: xx

Okay, so first off, how muvh does the rent cost p/week? Do the rooms have a lot of room or are they small and cramped? What are the kitchens like?

Thats all I can think of for now :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.xlx
Okay, so first off, how muvh does the rent cost p/week? Do the rooms have a lot of room or are they small and cramped? What are the kitchens like?

Thats all I can think of for now :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so rent can cost between £130-137 p/week for en-suite rooms, £159 p/week for a studio room and £182 p/week for a shared studio flat. All this information can be found on the CV facts page. Currently, I pay around £130 p/week, and it's a 43 week contract, roughly. The rooms are quite spacious in my opinion, I do not think that you will be disappointed with that. Bathrooms are also quite nice! The kitchens are fabulous, although their quality will quickly deteriorate if your flatmates aren't clean :tongue: You may already know this but you'll usually have 4-5 flatmates, and each flat is separated from the others by a door that you need a key to open. This might be one of the few disadvantages of CV, that it's not as easy to get to know people in other flats, but that's only if you're lazy and can't be bothered to leave your own flat ^^ If you come up with more questions, let me know! x
Reply 6
Okay so rent can cost between £130-137 p/week for en-suite rooms, £159 p/week for a studio room and £182 p/week for a shared studio flat. All this information can be found on the CV facts page. Currently, I pay around £130 p/week, and it's a 43 week contract, roughly. The rooms are quite spacious in my opinion, I do not think that you will be disappointed with that. Bathrooms are also quite nice! The kitchens are fabulous, although their quality will quickly deteriorate if your flatmates aren't clean :tongue: You may already know this but you'll usually have 4-5 flatmates, and each flat is separated from the others by a door that you need a key to open. This might be one of the few disadvantages of CV, that it's not as easy to get to know people in other flats, but that's only if you're lazy and can't be bothered to leave your own flat ^^ If you come up with more questions, let me know! x

Hey, so is CV a sociable place? Like I want to be able to talk to other people and make friends. what were your flatmates like if you don't mind me asking? 130£ seems pretty steep. Is CV exclusively for first years or is it completely mixed? Are your flatmates all studying similar courses or is it all mixed also?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.xlx
Hey, so is CV a sociable place? Like I want to be able to talk to other people and make friends. what were your flatmates like if you don't mind me asking? 130£ seems pretty steep. Is CV exclusively for first years or is it completely mixed? Are your flatmates all studying similar courses or is it all mixed also?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, despite what I said earlier, it is quite sociable. You will definitely make friends, probably with your flatmates first. The accom team (forgot their official name) also organises events a couple of times during the year, so you'll have an opportunity to meet other people living in CV then. My flatmates are nice but we didn't click so I'm living with friends from my course in 2nd year, which can happen, but it's not a big deal. £130 p/week is steep, and most uni accommodations are in this range, although off-campus might be cheaper. It helps to check out the facts page for each accommodation so that you can see the price ranges. CV is for all years, because I know a couple of 2nd years and exchange students living here. It is hard to get into though, so I hope you've already sent in your accommodation application ^^ None of my flatmates are on my course, although one is in the same school of thought as me, and this will probably be the case. You might also have flatmates from different parts of the world. :smile: Hope this all helps, and please let me know if you have any more questions! x
Reply 8
Yes, despite what I said earlier, it is quite sociable. You will definitely make friends, probably with your flatmates first. The accom team (forgot their official name) also organises events a couple of times during the year, so you'll have an opportunity to meet other people living in CV then. My flatmates are nice but we didn't click so I'm living with friends from my course in 2nd year, which can happen, but it's not a big deal. £130 p/week is steep, and most uni accommodations are in this range, although off-campus might be cheaper. It helps to check out the facts page for each accommodation so that you can see the price ranges. CV is for all years, because I know a couple of 2nd years and exchange students living here. It is hard to get into though, so I hope you've already sent in your accommodation application ^^ None of my flatmates are on my course, although one is in the same school of thought as me, and this will probably be the case. You might also have flatmates from different parts of the world. :smile: Hope this all helps, and please let me know if you have any more questions! x

is accommodation based on first come first serve? I haven't had all my options reply and I understand you can only apply for accommodation once you've firmed Leeds?
Original post by h.xlx
is accommodation based on first come first serve? I haven't had all my options reply and I understand you can only apply for accommodation once you've firmed Leeds?

Oh yes, forgot about. I took a gap year and so could apply much earlier. I'm not sure if it's first come first serve for 1st years (it is for returning students). I do not think so, because they haven't explicitly mentioned that anywhere, so I suppose if you really want CV, you need to make sure that that's obvious in your application.
Reply 10
Oh yes, forgot about. I took a gap year and so could apply much earlier. I'm not sure if it's first come first serve for 1st years (it is for returning students). I do not think so, because they haven't explicitly mentioned that anywhere, so I suppose if you really want CV, you need to make sure that that's obvious in your application.

Okay, well that's all I can think of, I'm sure there's much more. You've been an absolute star! Thanks so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
On the accommodation website it says that there are ongoing building works nearby so if you want quiet halls this might not be for you - have they finished now ? and if not is it really noisy?

thanks
Original post by h.xlx
Okay, well that's all I can think of, I'm sure there's much more. You've been an absolute star! Thanks so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applications:
You fill in an online survey type thing ranking how important things are to you. Then you get to choose one 'first choice' accommodation. It is not first come first served, they wait until everyone has applied before allocating places.
CV was massively oversubscribed this year and I know lots of people who were placed elsewhere. If you apply for cv you sort of have to accept you could be offered somewhere else. Many who didn't get in actually chose private accommodation instead.
That being said I'm in Sentinel towers and love it. But it's not really the party scene!
Reply 13
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Applications:
You fill in an online survey type thing ranking how important things are to you. Then you get to choose one 'first choice' accommodation. It is not first come first served, they wait until everyone has applied before allocating places.
CV was massively oversubscribed this year and I know lots of people who were placed elsewhere. If you apply for cv you sort of have to accept you could be offered somewhere else. Many who didn't get in actually chose private accommodation instead.
That being said I'm in Sentinel towers and love it. But it's not really the party scene!

Is it shared bathroom? Because that would be the biggest no no. Also, whats the rooms like in sentinel towers compared to cv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.xlx
Is it shared bathroom? Because that would be the biggest no no. Also, whats the rooms like in sentinel towers compared to cv?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most accommodations are en-suite to be honest. And yeah sentinel is :smile:
I can't really say as I've never been in CV myself just walked past it. Wouldn't trust the images on the website though because they haven't been updated in ages. All the furniture in the bedrooms is pretty much brand new. My rooms cluttered but I can try and hide worst of the mess to take an image :tongue:
Like, I can't recommend Sentinel Towers if you want a social life. It's close to the city centre, and there is a common room, but I deliberately chose it, because even here there will be nights you can't sleep because people want to have a party when you have a 9am lecture the next morning. I like sleep wayyy too much
Attachment not found
- 'main bedroom area' pointing towards the window :tongue:
Attachment not found
- my desk + chair (neatish for once)
Attachment not found
- facing down towards the door and en suite, and too many cuddly toys
ucles sending.jpg- 'the shelf of shame' basically this is the lil space that connects my en suite to my room and yeah. It's full of junk food.
ucles sending.jpg (pls ignore me) the en suite

Kitchen- admittedly this area is pretty small
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t34.0-12/12660250_1329451927082058_1305865747_n.jpg?oh=d131900b9fa7c359bcac1d5127163633&oe=56B50B30

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t34.0-12/12659635_1329452060415378_61093089_n.jpg?oh=6e150a25a761aacba41163054c47757f&oe=56B51258

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t34.0-12/12659712_1329452540415330_1729586338_n.jpg?oh=e75b595ebe2842cb31aba511cf974082&oe=56B52615

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/12650246_1329456567081594_1294263270_n.jpg?oh=fb91c957866ce51fec070f6b06b790a5&oe=56B42F8A

all the other images of the outside of the building and stuff are up to date :tongue:
Reply 16
Like, I can't recommend Sentinel Towers if you want a social life. It's close to the city centre, and there is a common room, but I deliberately chose it, because even here there will be nights you can't sleep because people want to have a party when you have a 9am lecture the next morning. I like sleep wayyy too much
Attachment not found
- 'main bedroom area' pointing towards the window :tongue:
Attachment not found
- my desk + chair (neatish for once)
Attachment not found
- facing down towards the door and en suite, and too many cuddly toys
ucles sending.jpg- 'the shelf of shame' basically this is the lil space that connects my en suite to my room and yeah. It's full of junk food.
ucles sending.jpg (pls ignore me) the en suite

Kitchen- admittedly this area is pretty small
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t34.0-12/12660250_1329451927082058_1305865747_n.jpg?oh=d131900b9fa7c359bcac1d5127163633&oe=56B50B30

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t34.0-12/12659635_1329452060415378_61093089_n.jpg?oh=6e150a25a761aacba41163054c47757f&oe=56B51258

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t34.0-12/12659712_1329452540415330_1729586338_n.jpg?oh=e75b595ebe2842cb31aba511cf974082&oe=56B52615

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/12650246_1329456567081594_1294263270_n.jpg?oh=fb91c957866ce51fec070f6b06b790a5&oe=56B42F8A

all the other images of the outside of the building and stuff are up to date :tongue:

thanks for the pictures, you're awesome! The room looks pretty nice tbh. I'm glad you said about not relying on the pictures on the website :lol: How much is your rent if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by h.xlx
thanks for the pictures, you're awesome! The room looks pretty nice tbh. I'm glad you said about not relying on the pictures on the website :lol: How much is your rent if you dont mind me asking?

I actually said to the people who run to the website to update those images with the icky curtains and ancient furniture!
Oh gosh it's either £119 a week or £121. I'll double check for you :tongue:
Original post by h.xlx

£5,055.11 for the 42 weeks
which works out about
£120.36 a week :tongue:
Reply 19
£5,055.11 for the 42 weeks
which works out about
£120.36 a week :tongue:

Dayuuum, bit steep no?

Quick Reply

Latest