The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Japanese

Hello,

I'm going to be studying Japanese at University in September and am wondering which University I should attend. I have little previous knowledge of Japanese so I would like, if at all possible; a comparison between them. Does anyone know what its like to study at these institutions... what are the drop out rates for 1st years on the course, for example I've heard SOAS and Sheffield have a high amount of drop outs which partly influenced me in not applying as I want the course to be of a realistic level to ensure I pass. As I have not studied it in an academic setting before I have no clue what to expect so I could find myself finding it great at places or very difficult; so some insight from people who have studied there for example; would help me a lot! I guess my main question is, how many people pass the course who started, how difficult/realistic is the course and whats the dropout rate!

Any information regarding how the courses progress throughout the degree and success rates, dropout rates etc. would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Thank you! :
Original post by Fukuoka
Hello,

I'm going to be studying Japanese at University in September and am wondering which University I should attend. I have little previous knowledge of Japanese so I would like, if at all possible; a comparison between them. Does anyone know what its like to study at these institutions... what are the drop out rates for 1st years on the course, for example I've heard SOAS and Sheffield have a high amount of drop outs which partly influenced me in not applying as I want the course to be of a realistic level to ensure I pass. As I have not studied it in an academic setting before I have no clue what to expect so I could find myself finding it great at places or very difficult; so some insight from people who have studied there for example; would help me a lot! I guess my main question is, how many people pass the course who started, how difficult/realistic is the course and whats the dropout rate!

Any information regarding how the courses progress throughout the degree and success rates, dropout rates etc. would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Thank you! :

Japanese at Leeds-
So basically I have two friends studying the course, and one who has 'discovery' modules in it. One friend is beginner, one is intermediate.

NOTE: This will be an expensive course to pursue. You spend a compulsory year in Japan in your second year. This is at all levels of study. My friend's have had to prove to the authorities in Japan that they have access to £7000 in funds.
You only pay a reduced rate of tuition fees in this year though, can't remember if it is around £3000.
You do get so much subsidy to help you fund your flights and accommodation and stuff, but you do have to find a considerable amount of your own money.
Whilst you do get to choose which uni you'd LIKE to go to in Japan, there are limited spaces.
One friend got Tokyo, and a very prestigious university
Another got Akita which is deemed 'the worst'

In my flat there is also a Japanese exchange student, and her and her friends have put on many events, and there is a very active Japanese society, so it is a very social course.
All of them enjoy the course, but they do find it very difficult.

So I guess I'm saying yes Leeds is fantastic if you are 100% aware of what second year entails!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest