The Student Room Group

What do you think about long distance relationships?

Hi fellow students!

I am 18 and have been with someone living in another country for 3 years now. When I first told people about my boyfriend I felt very judged because I met him online (TWITTER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD). But I wonder if it really is such a bad thing to do in our globalized world.

What do you qualify as a long distance relationship?
Maybe you're in one yourself and don't know how to tell your parents or friends...

I will be happy to give advice to anyone who needs it!
Original post by Alisaur
Hi fellow students!

I am 18 and have been with someone living in another country for 3 years now. When I first told people about my boyfriend I felt very judged because I met him online (TWITTER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD). But I wonder if it really is such a bad thing to do in our globalized world.

Maybe you're in one yourself and don't know how to tell your parents or friends...

I think ldrs and meeting people online is very normal nowadays. In fact I met my previous and current boyfriend over Xbox live as did my two best friends!
Reply 2
Sometimes they work sometimes they don't, i've never been in one so i cant really say
Reply 3
I would rather meet them in person to see whether we are compatible incase you get all butterflies online but in real life you realise you don't have chemistry.
Have you Skyped him?
Reply 4
they only work out on the basis of trust tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally wouldn't want a long distance relationship, I'd much rather have them there so you can talk to them in person and what not. The only time i'd consider a long distance relationship if for example: If we both live in London and one of us has to move out of London to like Bristol etc.
This is just what I feel :smile:
Been in one three years ago and it didn't work
Reply 7
Most of long distance relationships are not working but there are few whom I know worked. It usually depends on you and your partner if you really want to make it through. If the willingness and love are there.
In my experience, they're a waste of time.

Space is a good thing in relationships, but too much space, which is the case in LDR, causes friction and, well, distance.
Reply 9
Original post by chikane
I would rather meet them in person to see whether we are compatible incase you get all butterflies online but in real life you realise you don't have chemistry.
Have you Skyped him?

Aw very often, a few times a week. We do see each other every school half term (luckily). and I always seem to get butterflies at the airport!
Mine isn't quite in another country but we met online and live about 2 and a half hours away when at Uni (aka most of the time). The importance to long distance relationships is communication. We find time to talk to each other every day and meet-up whenever we get the chance. I trust him immensely so this arrangement is fine until we eventually live together. It's quite exciting as it makes the time you do get to spend together really special. Stick at it if you really love them!
Long distance relationships can work if you are both willing to put the effort in, we also have a dedicated long distance society here as well http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2404204
Reply 12
I met my partner online, that's normal in this day and age but I'm not sure I could cope with different countries... Plus, I met up with him before we became official
I think they can work, but they are rare. If the couple were orginally not long distance but then have to be for some reason, i think these can work as you truely know what the person is like.
I think if you have always been in an ldr with someone amd have never spent more than a few weeks in a row with them... You dont really know what they are like. It's so easy to hide the bits of you that you dont like when you only see someone every now and again.

I'm not saying that they wont work if you are very very lucky... But i know quite a few people who were in LDRs for a long time and then when they actually got to be together it didnt work out and they wished they hadnt wasted the time and had been in a proper relationship...

Anddd i only think they work when you have an end point in the future when you will defintely be together. If your end point is just 'some point in the future' then i dont see it working.

Sorry about being synical...
For me, long distance relationship is extremely tough. Any amount of separation from my girlfriend is very tough for me, I just can't do it without her. She's the only thing that makes me happy. If I don't see her for two days, I'll struggle. We've done really well so far, we got through 14 months of long distance and living over a hundred miles apart, only being able to see each other 2 to 4 times a month on average. Which wasn't enough for either of us, but we made the most out of it, we did the best we could and finally, after over a year of waiting and being patient, we were able to be together properly and live just a few miles apart! That was the best thing. I look back on our first year, in a way it was good for us because it showed us the value and importance of what we have. And it shows us that life isn't always easy, sometimes we have to go through difficult periods but it gets better in the end. I like to look forward and think about the future, I like to imagine that we'll eventually be together properly one day. Even if it takes ten years for that to happen, I'm very excited about our future. We'll try to make it work and do the best that we can. Even if we have to be in a long distance relationship again, I think we'll be able to get through it. We know that we'll always be together, the difficult part is coping with being separated from each other. We'll always find our way back to each other. It feels so amazing to finally be able to live in the same city as her and practically be living together! We're prepared for whatever challenges life throws at us, we'll see what the future holds for us. We'll fight for what we have because it's extremely precious and valuable. Sometimes I have to remind myself of just how lucky I am to have found her, and I remind myself of how difficult it was in the beginning when we were long distance. That's why it feels even more special, having gone through over a year of long distance definitely makes you see things differently. Two complete polar opposites. One day living over a hundred miles apart then one day finding ourselves living together and being happier than we've ever been. It's the most amazing thing. I never want to lose her.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I don't think I have an average view of relationships. It is my desire to have a partner who is like a best friend, someone you really want to share your life with, of course there is space (as there is in any friendship) but if you don't want to spend a lot of time around your significant other I don't think you like them as much as you think you do.

I don't get people who only see there partner like every two weeks, do you even like them lol?
A long distance relationship was the best thing to happen to me because I'm with my soul mate. We see each other every 2 weeks and Skype pretty much all the time when we're apart. There must be trust and a plan for the relationship to work. No trust makes a pretty crappy relationship and no plan of where things are going to go (e.g. one of you/both moving to be together) could be really demotivating and tough seeing as it would feel like you would be long distance forever. It's so so hard but worth every mile for the person. My boyfriend and I have been together two years now and we're still going strong!
Original post by Alisaur
Hi fellow students!

Long distance does and can work fine.

But have you ever met your boyfriend in person?
I think LDR are stupid

Quick Reply

Latest