The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Oxley Residences

I'm going to firm Leeds and I'm thinking of applying to Oxley Residences. I am aware of its distance from the uni but the bus journey doesn't really bother me. Aside from that Oxley looks really good! Is anyone there at the moment who can tell me what it's like, or anyone who is also considering applying there? :smile:
Original post by cherrycola98
I'm going to firm Leeds and I'm thinking of applying to Oxley Residences. I am aware of its distance from the uni but the bus journey doesn't really bother me. Aside from that Oxley looks really good! Is anyone there at the moment who can tell me what it's like, or anyone who is also considering applying there? :smile:

I was talking to a girl on my course who lives there and she hates it.
Getting in for 9am's is hard enough and I live a 15 minute walk away, if you have a 5 hour gap between lessons (it can happen) you either have to do the two bus journeys, or stay in uni all day.

But her biggest bug bears are:
Apparently there are no local shops, so if you forget something at the supermarket it's a bit tough :tongue:
And apparently they are REALLY fussy on noise. Apparently people have been fined there, and the subwarden told some people to turn their tv down because they were watching a disney film 'too loud'.
She also feels that she doesn't get the true 'university experience' as she is so far from campus and as she said 'I literally live in a forest'
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I lived at Oxley for two years. I chose not to apply again so I'm somewhere else this year, but if you can handle certain things, it's a nice residence. It's very pretty and the rooms are good.

It takes a five-ten minute walk to get to the bus station, then you have to wait for the bus, then, if it's rush hour (which, if you're trying to get in for a 9AM, it is), the bus takes about half an hour.

Silverfish infestation, both years! It was pretty bad both years, they were there the moment I moved in, and it was disgusting.

You can't just say yes to a last minute night out, it's "sure, after I've got the bus", which can impact your social life a bit.

Also, I felt they weren't that fussy about the noise when I was there (maybe it's changed this year) - it was more along the lines of I couldn't sleep because people above me continually played loud music, and despite calling the subwarden, they didn't stop, so I'd constantly turn up for 9ams having had very little sleep.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest