The Student Room Group

So my little brother wants to study Computer Science

My brother has two more years of school left before going to university, and he is thinking of studying Computer Science with the hope of becoming a Game Developer (he likes playing computer games all day) or creating programs.

I wanted for people who studied disciplines related to Computer Science, and graduated, to write their opinions in a short survey I created so that my little brother could make an informed decision before applying to university.

I don't know what the discipline is all about, and I don't want him to go into something that may not be what he expected. Or the other way around, it might actually be what he is expecting, and the answers of others might actually motivate him more. That is the purpose of this survey.

I would be grateful if you could fill the survey so that I can share your opinions with him.

I am looking for people who have a degree in a discipline related to Computer Science.

Thank you very much in advance!

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NCDVLDP
Reply 1
Up.
Reply 2
Up.
Down
Reply 4
This is quite a limited demographic for a student forum, I wouldn't expect much of a response...
Reply 5
Yeah, noticed that, got only 2 answers. Will have to check some professional forums.
Original post by Greu
My brother has two more years of school left before going to university, and he is thinking of studying Computer Science with the hope of becoming a Game Developer (he likes playing computer games all day) or creating programs.

I wanted for people who studied disciplines related to Computer Science, and graduated, to write their opinions in a short survey I created so that my little brother could make an informed decision before applying to university.

I don't know what the discipline is all about, and I don't want him to go into something that may not be what he expected. Or the other way around, it might actually be what he is expecting, and the answers of others might actually motivate him more. That is the purpose of this survey.

I would be grateful if you could fill the survey so that I can share your opinions with him.

I am looking for people who have a degree in a discipline related to Computer Science.

Thank you very much in advance!

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NCDVLDP

Choosing to become a game developer because I enjoy playing games is like choosing to become a chef because you like eating good food. Game developers develop games rather than play them, chefs produce good meals rather than eat it. Game development is not the same as game playing. Plus, the game industry has a reputation for long working hours, stress and low pay.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
Choosing to become a game developer because I enjoy playing games is like choosing to become a chef because you like eating good food. Game developers develop games rather than play them, chefs produce good meals rather than eat it. Game development is not the same as game playing. Plus, the game industry has a reputation for long working hours, stress and low pay.

Never said I don't agree with your statement. That's the reason I wanted to have people answer the survey so he can the answers to hear what at least computer science is actually about, not just working in the gaming industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending