The Student Room Group

Foundation Diploma at the Royal Drawing School

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by _Basquiat
Can anyone give me some information on the application process for the Royal drawing school. Pictures of the style and standard of work expected in the portfolios would be very helpful.

Before I applied to most of my foundations I read up on what they wanted and a lot of places asked for quite a bit of life drawing. So I decided to go on a life drawing course to both improve on my life drawing and have more drawings from life as I did not do much in art A-Level.

I feel this is an important element to any portfolio as, in my opinion, drawing is one of the most important skills within art. I am a painter now but I would not have learnt how to paint without drawing!

I would recommend printing good quality images of any large scale paintings or sculptures that you cannot bring to the interview. Do not put your work in plastic wallets/ folders as most places don’t like this.

I think just show a collection of your works- ones that you feel have been most successful, ones that you are working on at the moment- try to show your range. They do like to see things that you wouldn’t necessarily find in every over portfolio so try to put in some stuff that you think is interesting/may spark conversation. I remember one of the tutors pointing out a gouache painting in my sketchbook that I wasn’t very keen on because it wasn’t very ‘neat’ looking, but they seemed to really like it.

Essentially they want to see that you want to explore more and that you have the potential and motivation to do so.
Thank you so much for the reply. There is no information here about the course. Is there anyway i could send u my portfolio for u to rate it? It's my first choice course so I am kind of freaking out
Reply 42
Thank you so much for the reply. There is no information here about the course. Is there anyway i could send u my portfolio for u to rate it? It's my first choice course so I am kind of freaking out

No problem! I'm happy to answer an questions you have. Why don't you tell me what you have and I can give you some advice/feedback?
Original post by oonaghq
No problem! I'm happy to answer an questions you have. Why don't you tell me what you have and I can give you some advice/feedback?

Thanks! this is the link to my drop box, you don't need to have an account to view it. Just copy and paste the link... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rffv2ndl7tqxn6m/AABqLv_zR2RJYAO2t7RtTVnSa?dl=0
Reply 44
Thanks! this is the link to my drop box, you don't need to have an account to view it. Just copy and paste the link... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rffv2ndl7tqxn6m/AABqLv_zR2RJYAO2t7RtTVnSa?dl=0

I think this is strong portfolio but I think you should put a little more life drawing in (if you have it) and maybe some other types of your art- maybe some painting or experimental stuff ?

But obviously do what you think is right- I loved painting so I had a range of paintings and drawings, so just put in works that reflect your interests and talent!
Original post by oonaghq
I think this is strong portfolio but I think you should put a little more life drawing in (if you have it) and maybe some other types of your art- maybe some painting or experimental stuff ?

But obviously do what you think is right- I loved painting so I had a range of paintings and drawings, so just put in works that reflect your interests and talent!

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I am crap at painting, I tried to find some decent work to put in but gave up. I have done no life drawing in my life except for that one piece. but I will binge life draw this week before the deadline. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Latest