The Student Room Group

Wont be 18.....

im really looking forward to going to uni and meeting all the new people. but theres one problem. ill still be 17 in september (18 in january!). freshers week is all about havin a good time but im 5'1 and get ID'd evywhere. i never get into any clubs etc because i look so young. is this a problem in freshers week (or during the term)? is there anywhere thats lenient on the age restrictions. im goin 2 glasgow uni by the way. im just wondering if anyone else has this problem. HELP!
Reply 1
Are Scottish "cut off dates" for school years different then? Sorry for being an ignoramous lol, have no idea how things work in Scotland!
Reply 2
Don't worry, three of my friends (one from ireland, two from hong kong) were 17 when they came to uni and I can't remember them having much difficulty enjoying themselves during freshers week or after that! I haven't been IDed all that much in Liverpool either so I don't think it's a huge thing however, I'm not sure about how it'd be in Scotland!
Ah don't worry about it, they'll be lots of people at Glasgow uni in the same situation. There were quite a few 17yr olds in my year when I started, they didn't have a problem at the student unions because they know some of the freshers will be 17 and turn a blind eye to it but it may be a little trickier going out in town. To be honest we spent most of the time in the unions in freshers week anyway so it wasn't a problem for the young'uns!
Reply 4
or you can always try making fake id like we did in first year for my friend!one word of advice ...if it involves old phone top up cards, an iron, the microwave, plastic off an old birthday card and a scanned, altered driving licence copy...it wont work it just gasses out the kitchen as we found out!:biggrin:
Reply 5
yes in scotland the cut off for different years is in early febuary, so some people start school when they are 5 and others when they are 4. im wanting to go to glasgow this year aswell and im only going to be 17.
Reply 6
ill just hope to meet some others on ma course who are the same age (and height!) as me!
Reply 7
Well what you could try would be scanning your passport & then copy & paste the 8 onto the 9 i guess or is it a 0. So that it says your born in 1988 and then print our colour copy & tell the bouncers that you did this because you where afraid of losing your passport & you don't have any other ID. My friends did this & it worked for quite a while until they got suspisious of why she was using it so much but by then they had got to know her & just let her in anyway after laughing about it. Althou i duno how well that would work in a city place, they might be stricter.

Or if your born in 1989 it's extrememly easy to change the 9 to an 8 on your license because most places are quite dark & they never look that closely.
Reply 8
Don't worry, age doesn't really matter when you go to uni (apart from the getting IDed thing). I'm older than a lot of my English friends because our cut off date is July in Northern Ireland. In fact, I'm living with an Irish girl who is almost two years younger than me next year. It doesn't make all that much difference.
Often wearing a low cut top helps ;-). Not that i promote that sort of thing lol
Reply 10
tried the passport thing and they said it was a fake. the guy was actually quite rude and said that 1 couldnt be more than 14 at my height!!! i mean im 5'1/2 and i know a lot of people who are 18 and are that height! im so depressed. im gonna hav to spend my tym in the student union constantly and im sure no one else gonna wanna do that constantly if they hav the choice.
House parties are much more fun anyway! And cheaper too :wink:
Dont worry so much i went out near my home to celebrate my birthday my exams and just life in general with a few from work i was 16/17 as it was my 17th b'day it was a one off thing and it took some persuading with my parents but i got picked up at 2.30am and i started out at 8.00 i only id'd in one place but that was whetherspoons they get full enough to just turn anybody they want away. I felt stupid and it worried me when getting into the next pub an in true style everybody wanted to go to the 2nd busiest place there was a quewe so the bouncers were id'ing everyone on the way in like a turn style one in one out!!! i was last in and when i said i had no id he was just like bring it next time so yay!! Just smile and send your older mates with id in first but definatly dont stand at the very back.
Reply 13
ive actually made a fake id from an old young scots card now. im surprised that the bouncers dont look to closely at the card. i guess they think u woulnt hand them an id if u werent old enough to get in lol
Reply 14
ill be 17 when i start uni but its fine ive been going out in glasgow since i was 15 lol where theres a will theres a way folks!
mayflower.x
Reply 15
do u look older than u are though?
Reply 16
bouncers are generally thick! my friends have used ID that says they are 17 in the past and have been let in!!!! ALso if uve past ur test they dont seem 2 luk at a red drivin lisence so much so ud b more likely 2 get away with it! Just act confident when u walk in2 clubs or w.e n if u get id'd n nocked back then so wot.....friends will always be willin 2 try n get in sumwer else 4 ya!

Latest

Trending

Trending