The Student Room Group

Is 22 too young to be thinking about settling down?

I'm 22 and I've been single for 3 years now, in that time all my friends moved away to university and got girlfriends and are now in committed relationships whereas I stayed at home and got a well paid job and now I'm a manager within the company I work for. A few of my friends are starting to move in with their girlfriends and now people are asking me when am I going to think about settling down.

Being completely honest I like being single as I can do what I want, when I want and talk to who I want. However, I am starting to feel like people are putting pressure on me to meet someone, should I try to meet someone or should I just concentrate on enjoying myself?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm 22 and I've been single for 3 years now, in that time all my friends moved away to university and got girlfriends and are now in committed relationships whereas I stayed at home and got a well paid job and now I'm a manager within the company I work for. A few of my friends are starting to move in with their girlfriends and now people are asking me when am I going to think about settling down.

Being completely honest I like being single as I can do what I want, when I want and talk to who I want. However, I am starting to feel like people are putting pressure on me to meet someone, should I try to meet someone or should I just concentrate on enjoying myself?

I wouldnt consider 22 too young myself (i m younger and would say i've settled down really), however you should settle down when you are ready not when other people say you should be.
Reply 2
Some people are ready at 22
just do what you want 22 is still really young
Don't put pressure on yourself to settle down 22 is really young, it will happen at the right time.
young, in some countries ppl start uni at 21

Don't feel obliged to give in to social pressures. You have every right to focus on yourself and what you want right now, not what others may expect of you. It wouldn't be fair to try and settle down with someone now any way, because you'd be doing it for the wrong reasons.

You enjoy being single and that's okay- stick with that :smile: .
Reply 7
I think 22 is a fine age to settle down - a couple of my friends are now married (aged 22-23), albeit they are Christians. I'm 23 and I'm starting to move into that general territory and I also feel my family are putting some pressure on me to find a girlfriend - though I do actually want to find one too.

So my plans are really to find a girlfriend, and if she, whoever she is, is the right one then I'll want to settle down with her. A group of my friends don't want to settle down until they're in their 30's - I say you settle down when you find someone you want to spend your life with! Monogamy isn't for everyone but it is for me.
It's entirely an individual thimg. I used to feel a little pressured to find a relationship but now (I'm in my mid 20s) I find it laughable that there are people I know well that are like "Ahhh, you've gotta be in a relationship!", but I look at them and their lives as an example of why I choose to stay single. They just seem to have no purpose in life other than to bumble from relationship to relationship trying to find "the one", getting really down when it doesn't work, feeling like their life is incomplete when they're single, having kids that will inevitably have to deal with seperated parents, they can't just come and go as they please like I can... So no thanks :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's entirely up to you, but don't feel pressured into doing. :smile:
id settled down at 21 with my own family
settled down long before that in terms of own house, living alone, bills, independance, acting like an adult, not going out drinking bla bla bla

I wouldn't consider 22 young (my mum got married in her very early twenties hehe). Moreover, don't put pressure on yourself just because all of your friends have girlfriends - being in a relationship with the right person may take time to come about, so certainly don't rush into finding a girlfriend. In my opinion, I think you should just concentrate on enjoying yourself, and when the time is right (or when you're 100% sure that you're ready for commitment) you'll get a girlfriend (hopefully)! As of now, just enjoy being single and young!
Its completely up to you. At 22 my Mum was married and had her first child, My Dad at 22 was enjoying being a student and planning never to leave university. In their day 22 was relatively normal age to settle down, marry and start a family, despite meeting my fiance at 18 we didn't move in together until I was 23 and he was 28, I'm now 29 and we are not even married yet. These days people do things later in life, if you're happy single, stay single, have fun, go out, do things, when you meet someone it will be the right time. You don't have to settle down right now if you don't want to.
22? I think 35 is far too young to be settling down. And 44, 57....

I would just keep enjoying being single, and never worry about what anyone else is saying or thinks. It's an old fashioned view that belongs pre-1980s, that everyone should be looking for someone. Anyone who has that view in 2016 is so out of touch, as more and more people are choosing to stay single. It's every bit as valid a life choice as being in a relationship.
You're old enough to settle down when you feel you're ready to settle down. There's no objective too young/old for this (aside from under 16 year olds because that's dodgystuff™). Do what you want, other people don't matter.
I think your 20's are a time for self-discovery.:woo:
Settle down when you're ready. Not when you're being pressured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's entirely an individual thimg. I used to feel a little pressured to find a relationship but now (I'm in my mid 20s) I find it laughable that there are people I know well that are like "Ahhh, you've gotta be in a relationship!", but I look at them and their lives as an example of why I choose to stay single. They just seem to have no purpose in life other than to bumble from relationship to relationship trying to find "the one", getting really down when it doesn't work, feeling like their life is incomplete when they're single, having kids that will inevitably have to deal with seperated parents, they can't just come and go as they please like I can... So no thanks :lol:

Everything you just mentioned right there I can relate, although I'm only 20 I know the feels. :jumphug:
You should chase after what you're passionate about in life and not settle down for anybody unless they are on the similar mindset as you. Its sad to see that majority of the people who settle down in their early 20s are mentally r..... :shot: because people grow and change so much in their early 20s that they aren't the same person they used to be couple years back. Hence, why couples who settle down early tend to grow apart in majority of the cases.

Also, Its like they are deep down mirin' you of the possibilities that you can achieve in life whereas they are stuck separated in a relationship and paying countless child support left, right and center :laugh: :rip:
#JeremyKyleShow
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Everything you just mentioned right there I can relate, although I'm only 20 I know the feels.

Yeah I've not really been ina serious relationship since I was about 20. In fact I still remember clearly that a near-relationship sort of being the last straw for me in terms of saying "Right, I'm sick of getting messed around by girls, no more relationships for me for some time" :lol: I was seeing my mate's GF at the time's sister as she'd recently split from he BF, and we'd been speaking on the phone and admitted we both really liked each other, planned further dates and so on, and it transpired that she got back with her BF the very next day and didn't tell me about it. Her sister reckons it was because she really liked me and didn't want to say anything too soon because she felt like she might be making a mistake but I didn't care, I'm not one to settle for being a back-up.

So yeah, since then, I've been "involved" with several girls but I have 0 interest in becoming romantically linked, unless a girl comes along who I could genuinely see myself spending the rest of my life with. Certainly doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon haha, but I'm totally fine with that.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Yeah I've not really been ina serious relationship since I was about 20. In fact I still remember clearly that a near-relationship sort of being the last straw for me in terms of saying "Right, I'm sick of getting messed around by girls, no more relationships for me for some time" :lol: I was seeing my mate's GF at the time's sister as she'd recently split from he BF, and we'd been speaking on the phone and admitted we both really liked each other, planned further dates and so on, and it transpired that she got back with her BF the very next day and didn't tell me about it. Her sister reckons it was because she really liked me and didn't want to say anything too soon because she felt like she might be making a mistake but I didn't care, I'm not one to settle for being a back-up.

So yeah, since then, I've been "involved" with several girls but I have 0 interest in becoming romantically linked, unless a girl comes along who I could genuinely see myself spending the rest of my life with. Certainly doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon haha, but I'm totally fine with that.

Sorry to hear broski :jumphug:

Never settle for being a side guy to a girl... you're a sick c*nt not a sad c*nt :laugh: Exactly, don't settle down unless you find that everything clicks with a person and they are on the same page in life as you. In the mean time, enjoy being young! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending