The Student Room Group

Picking the right A levels

I have chosen chemistry biology English literature and business for a levels
but recently I have started thinking about doing law in the future, so I have been wondering if it would be possible to get onto a law course at university with these a level choices.
They are absolutely fine. law as an A level is a bit frowned upon anyway.
Reply 2
Why's that?

And are you sure cause while reading up it seems the only one of my choices related to law is english lit
Reply 3
Original post by jerseyGCSE
I have chosen chemistry biology English literature and business for a levels
but recently I have started thinking about doing law in the future, so I have been wondering if it would be possible to get onto a law course at university with these a level choices.

Hi. I currently do Law A Level.
I'm not looking to go into law, but I think it gives you a real insight into what you're going into. You don't necessarily need it to go into the university course, and I'm not 100% that it is frowned upon, but you definitely get an insight.
You cover the English Legal System
* Police Powers
* Judges
* Legal Profession (which is what it is to become a solicitor/barrister - which is helpful I think because you'll see it's not as easy as it may seem! But it's defiantly do-able)
And a lot more!

What I can say about A Levels is PICK SUBJECTS YOU ENJOY! I can't stress enough! Because the workload is a lot. So if you're doing something you despise you'll end up getting less motivated.
Remember you can drop and change subjects around the start of the year.
Also look at universities, see what kind of subjects they like for law.
And if some catch your eye.
Also look into the course outline on your sixth form or college website, see if it appeals to you.

Hope this helps a little!
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shouldn't be a problem as English Literature is obviously essay-based and that's what they are looking for! Personally I would have switched Business for something like History, Maths, or a more 'traditional' subject, so if you're thinking about what to drop after AS level I would recommend dropping that one. Chemistry and Biology show you're not just one-sided so that will work in your favour.

Also personally, I would not have gone for Law A-level, I don't know anyone in my university who has done it and it isn't regarded that favourably (I'm a current law student in London). I would agree though that it's more important to pick subjects you enjoy and do well in - an A in Law is probably more preferable than a B in another subject, as your offer will be conditional on your grades. Your chances of getting an offer will depend on your subjects as a factor, so the only one I would hesitate with would be Business. As I said however, you've combined it with solid traditional subjects, so if you think you will enjoy it then go for it :smile:
Reply 5
3 of your A levels are in traditional subjects so get good grades and you will be fine. I did English Literature, History and Law at A level and got onto a Law degree at a Russell Group uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending