The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greenka81
I've applied for Hamilton too.. will hopefully meet you both in the future! Thanks for your help :smile:
Kirsty

Hope so 😁
Original post by Greenka81
Congratulations! Yes, I am applying for primary too. Not heard anything from glasgow or strathclyde but at least I have an interview with UWS! Better start preparing 😂

It's really laid back and the staff put you at ease, good luck x
I ended up phoning glasgow today; apparently theres a massive backlog of applications, i got an apology for the fact that i hadnt heard anything for 5 weeks and assurance id hear back the next week. and i hopefully should hear from usw too this next week. Im phoning back on mon to uws and glasgow on Wednesday if i havent heard anything. My college tutor has said that theres no problem with that so thats what im doing. I knew i wasnt keen on waiting before but this has confirmed it lol. Thankfully being on here has meant that i have an idea of whats going on for interviews!
Anyone else got interviews for Aberdeen? I know it ridiculous but I am really fretting over the presentation. Totally ridiculous as I have done so many before and talk in public on a regular basis. It just feels a bit like I MUST get this right or I am screwed attitude.

I can answer the question no problem -

Why do you think that the Scottish Government have identified the curricular areas of Literacy, Numeracy and Health & Wellbeing as the responsibility of all Teachers?

Colin
Just checked my email and I have an interview next Friday. It was from ucas so there is no info regarding what the interview consists of and I won't be able to speak to anyone till Monday now!!! Has anyone had their interview for Glasgow yet who could shed any light on what to expect? Xx
Original post by Kayleigha
I had an interview with Glasgow the day before the uws one and got an offer for that also. The email we received said talk about something you are passionate about I chose to talk about fundraising. The group I was in was very varied with what they spoke about no one spoke about anything subject specific. There was no PowerPoint no but I took some pictures in with me!

Hi Kayleigha, can I ask what you had to do for your interview with Glasgow for the Pgde primary course? Xx
Has anyone heard anything in the last few days? I submitted my application on the 6th of December and have had no updates from Strathclyde nor Glasgow 😞
Original post by Cescaballo
Has anyone heard anything in the last few days? I submitted my application on the 6th of December and have had no updates from Strathclyde nor Glasgow 😞

I submitted to UCAS on Friday 25 Nov and I was offered interviews from Strathclyde, UWS and Dundee (subsequently declined). Nothing from Glasgow as yet. I know the one of its admissions personnel left end Nov so I reckon there will be a backlog (someone, somewhere on here said as much). I hope to hear from Glasgow this week.
Reply 188
Hi everyone! Hope your UCAS applications are going okay.

I've just started mine as I needed to wait back from other people to know if I can start this year. Is it the 15th Jan the deadline?

I've got a 2:1 BA(hons) in Digital Filmmaking, a B in Higher English and a 2 in Standard Grade maths but I'm scared my degree subject will hold me back? Any advice or do I not need to worry?

Original post by Cescaballo

Hi, I received an invitation for interview at Glasgow Uni this evening via UCAS. I applied on Fri 25th Nov. I also have interviews for Strathclyde and UWS.
Original post by Hope2achieve
Just checked my email and I have an interview next Friday. It was from ucas so there is no info regarding what the interview consists of and I won't be able to speak to anyone till Monday now!!! Has anyone had their interview for Glasgow yet who could shed any light on what to expect? Xx

Hi, I received an invitation for Glasgow via UCAS this evening with an interview for next week. I've accepted via UCAS Track and assume that they'll contact me with further details about the format of the day now that I've accepted. Have you heard anything since you posted the above? I realise yours is perhaps tomorrow, 13th so good luck.
Original post by CM05
Hi everyone! Hope your UCAS applications are going okay.

I've just started mine as I needed to wait back from other people to know if I can start this year. Is it the 15th Jan the deadline?

I've got a 2:1 BA(hons) in Digital Filmmaking, a B in Higher English and a 2 in Standard Grade maths but I'm scared my degree subject will hold me back? Any advice or do I not need to worry?

Because the courses are so oversubscribed the interviews start taking place before Christmas. I thought I was an early applicant (end Nov) but some people have everything in place, references etc and apply as soon as it opens in September so despite the deadline being in Jan (15th?) the whole thing starts far earlier, though unis assure applicants that they do not allocate all the places before the cut-off (I guess perhaps 30-50%?).

I think Glasgow for example has approximately 2000 applications for around 110 places. They won't interview everyone, even people who meet the criteria, so I'd say it's about having something the others don't and for teaching (as long as you have your degree etc) that's about classroom experience or alternative experience that you can speak about or put in your personal statement. I'm not in full time employment so having completed my degree last year I felt using this year to volunteer in a school two days a week could only benefit me as well as a bit of further relevant study. It means that I hope I can speak with confidence about children in the primary environment. I could not have done that this time last year.

As far as your subject goes, I think after a point it becomes less relevant as long as you can demonstrate a genuine desire to teach. So, if you've already volunteered/worked with children in a school or somewhere else it's that which will help your confidence and I'd say demonstrating your observations/experience in your personal statement is absolutely essential.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Original post by Boring book
Because the courses are so oversubscribed the interviews start taking place before Christmas. I thought I was an early applicant (end Nov) but some people have everything in place, references etc and apply as soon as it opens in September so despite the deadline being in Jan (15th?) the whole thing starts far earlier, though unis assure applicants that they do not allocate all the places before the cut-off (I guess perhaps 30-50%?).

I think Glasgow for example has approximately 2000 applications for around 110 places. They won't interview everyone, even people who meet the criteria, so I'd say it's about having something the others don't and for teaching (as long as you have your degree etc) that's about classroom experience or alternative experience that you can speak about or put in your personal statement. I'm not in full time employment so having completed my degree last year I felt using this year to volunteer in a school two days a week could only benefit me as well as a bit of further relevant study. It means that I hope I can speak with confidence about children in the primary environment. I could not have done that this time last year.

As far as your subject goes, I think after a point it becomes less relevant as long as you can demonstrate a genuine desire to teach. So, if you've already volunteered/worked with children in a school or somewhere else it's that which will help your confidence and I'd say demonstrating your observations/experience in your personal statement is absolutely essential.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Where do you get the admissions statistics from? Also is that for primary or secondary or combined? I'm really worried I should have applied sooner to have a better chance (applied this week for secondary geography) - any thoughts?
Hi,

Has anyone applied for PGDE physics and heard anything yet?
I heard back from Strathclyde today and have an interview for Feb 2nd. Can anyone who previously had an interview tell me if they were able to use power point for their 5 minute presentation?
Original post by UtopiaShone
Where do you get the admissions statistics from? Also is that for primary or secondary or combined? I'm really worried I should have applied sooner to have a better chance (applied this week for secondary geography) - any thoughts?

Hi, I applied for Secondary Modern Studies last year and decided before I'd heard back (but unfortunately after the UCAS deadline) that I really wanted to teach in primary school.

A subsequent visit to an open day at Glasgow University led to a conversation with one of the academics who told me that there are approx 2,000 applications for approx 110 places for primary. There are a limited number of places per secondary subject (I understand there aren't many Mod Studs places as well as it being very oversubscribed, at least in previous years). We also discussed the number of places available for some secondary subjects and among the ones that had either the fewest places and/or greatest number of applicants were biology but I'm happy to be corrected on this.

I think the only reason the universities start to interview early is simply because there are so many applicants and all successful applicants must be interviewed unlike say applicants for law or physics which can be decided by application alone. You're essentially being interviewed for a job, not simply a course so it simply can't be done by looking at the applications. I also think that to some extent that the universities are pleased to have people apply early to let them get started asap. I was assured last week by Glasgow that primary places are NOT all allocated, only 50% or less I think. The person I spoke to was keen to reassure that interviewing goes on until March but I'd definitely think about phoning tomorrow and they'll give you a sense of where they're at.

Hope that helps but do phone.
Reply 196
Original post by craigh92
Hey all,

I am I'm the same boat as a lot of you. I am currently doing my Maths and English at college and have applied for PGDE Primary at UWS, Strathclyde, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I found out today that I have an interview on the 15th of December at Strathclyde. It comprises of a 4 hr interview including; a presentation, group discussion and a questionnaire on teaching.

Has anybody else received word from Strathclyde and is interviewing that day?

Also has anyone interviewed at Strathclyde before that could shed some light on the process.

Thanks.

Craig

Hi there,

I hope your interviews went well. I have been stalking these forums :wink: trying to find out more about the Strathclyde interview as I have an interview there on 2 Feb.Pretty nervous that there is no 1-1 so any advice/heads up on the multiple choice exercise, presentation topics - did people use PP or cue cards etc? Any info, advice would be greatly appreciated. So nerve-wracking when you cant afford to screw something up! Lol! Many thanks x
Does anyone know how long Aberdeen normally take to make a decision? Had my interview today and feel it went quite well.
Reply 198
Are you on facebook? There's a page on there called PGDE Scotland 2017 Entry where loads of people are sharing news and interview experiences, it's really helpful.
Original post by Sunny22
Hi there,

I hope your interviews went well. I have been stalking these forums :wink: trying to find out more about the Strathclyde interview as I have an interview there on 2 Feb.Pretty nervous that there is no 1-1 so any advice/heads up on the multiple choice exercise, presentation topics - did people use PP or cue cards etc? Any info, advice would be greatly appreciated. So nerve-wracking when you cant afford to screw something up! Lol! Many thanks x
Reply 199
Original post by jllrms
Are you on facebook? There's a page on there called PGDE Scotland 2017 Entry where loads of people are sharing news and interview experiences, it's really helpful.

Thank-you for taking the time to reply, I'll take a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending