The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Ornela,

The MSc is mostly for quantitative folks in S&T. These quants form strategy and develop financial products for the traders to trade. Usually the quants form strategies in Credit and Equity derivatives and arbs. The MBA is more of a generalist work and deals with leadership and valuations etc.
IB is not risky. It just kills you lol. Say hello to 100-120 hour workweeks working on 10 hours of sleep a week and getting shouted at by everyone above of you. After three years you take a break from this and go to business school where you begin thinking "hmmmm if i go back ill be senior and i wont be treated like this". You return and you find the Vice presidents and managing directors still shouting at you. For 7 years your live pretty much is hell.
Sorry if this isnt optimistic but this is reality.

Credit derivatives deal with credit based financial products. Equity derivatives are based on the equity base of a publicly traded institution.

Hope this helps :smile:.

Btw if you guys want book recommendations for Ibanking and S&T just post here or send a PM.
Reply 181
Are there jobs in Investment Banking i.e. not 'Investment Banking', that are not as stressful?
Reply 182
Heh nope. You want to make money you gotta deal with stress. They just dont give out multi million dollar packages without any work. :wink:
Reply 183
Sorry to be so demanding but could you just give the following a rating out of 10 in terms of interest of the work:

Investment management
Investment Banking
Equities Trading
Credit/Macro product Trading
Reply 184
Depends on the person. Let me clear this: Many people actually LIKE ibanking. I just think its hell. :wink:.

I like making decisions and making cash while also having some time for social activities.
So my ratings would be as follows:

Equity trading: 8/10
Investment Management: 10/10
Credit/ Macro Product Trading: 10/10
Investment Banking: 5/10

These are all great jobs that pay a lot of cash. Good Luck!
Reply 185
I have been rejected at LSE and Oxford, but hold an offer from University College London (UCL). Can I still be an analyst after graduating, then follow the typical route? Keeping in mind UCL is a really good uni for Economics.
Reply 186
mahras
Depends on the person. Let me clear this: Many people actually LIKE ibanking. I just think its hell. :wink:.

I like making decisions and making cash while also having some time for social activities.
So my ratings would be as follows:

Equity trading: 8/10
Investment Management: 10/10
Credit/ Macro Product Trading: 10/10
Investment Banking: 5/10

These are all great jobs that pay a lot of cash. Good Luck!

Funnily enough, the two you gave 10 are the two I seem most interested by...what actually does an investment banker do? Are investment bankers the best paid out of those four jobs? I would like to strike a happy balance between reward, interest and hours
Reply 187
ornela
I have been rejected at LSE and Oxford, but hold an offer from University College London (UCL). Can I still be an analyst after graduating, then follow the typical route? Keeping in mind UCL is a really good uni for Economics.

Of course you can! I think that the elitist streak in IBs of hiring Oxbridge candidates is massively depreciating
Reply 188
jamierwilliams
Of course you can! I think that the elitist streak in IBs of hiring Oxbridge candidates is massively depreciating

I heard differently.
Reply 189
TheWolf
I heard differently.

Maybe your right...I was only going on the fact that I know lots of people from Oxbridge getting 1sts in Economics being rejected by big IBs, but being 'ditched' for people at Unis like UCL, LSE, Manchester, Reading etc
Reply 190
Ornela,

UCL is great.

No. Ibankers are paid. But traders and investment management professonals are paid a lot more. Let me put it this way, the most paid guys at an ibank will be the fixed income division head and the top fixed income traders. Investment Management professionals like hedge fund managers and traders make the MOST in the street. Soros made 750 million the past year. In the 1-25 top list in hedge fund, number 25 made 65 million. So no ibankers dont make the most.
Reply 191
OKay to help you guys out here is Lehman Brothers search engine for schools. It lists the school they recruit from. Just plug in your schools name:

http://www.lehman.com/careers/calendar/index_eu.html

UCL is one of them. Many of the others also recruit there.
Reply 192
And this is Lazard- possibly the best boutique investment bank and the most paid ibankers are here:

http://www.lazard.com/career_opportunities/campus_recruitment/index.html
Reply 193
mahras
Ornela,

UCL is great.

No. Ibankers are paid. But traders and investment management professonals are paid a lot more. Let me put it this way, the most paid guys at an ibank will be the fixed income division head and the top fixed income traders. Investment Management professionals like hedge fund managers and traders make the MOST in the street. Soros made 750 million the past year. In the 1-25 top list in hedge fund, number 25 made 65 million. So no ibankers dont make the most.

Ohh, Investment Management and Trading looks like the way to go :biggrin: and they seems more interesting than being an ibanker
Reply 194
Remember trading is riskier than ibanking. If you dont make cash you are out. In ibanking you just have to act pretty much like a peon and they will love you.
Reply 195
Process of elimination, investment management it is....are the top manager at the bulge investment banks?
Reply 196
no. Investment Management emcompasses: hedge funds (VERY RISKY), mutual funds, pension funds, private wealth management guys at ibanks, asset management guys at ibanks.

As you can imagine the guys that made the top 1-25 list are all hedge fund managers. Hedge funds are like trading operations at ibanks except a LOT more riskier.
Reply 197
mahras
no. Investment Management emcompasses: hedge funds (VERY RISKY), mutual funds, pension funds, private wealth management guys at ibanks, asset management guys at ibanks.

As you can imagine the guys that made the top 1-25 list are all hedge fund managers. Hedge funds are like trading operations at ibanks except a LOT more riskier.

Oooo, I like this terminology, what's a hedge fund?
Reply 198
Heh I have a feeling we are gonna get kicked off for obsessive posting.

Hedge funds: Investment vehicles that have little or no regulation and one that only rich folks can join. Thats the dictionary definition.

Hedge funds can do almost whatever they please (unless its insider trading, which many have done nonetheless). They can go long, they can go short, they take advantage of market inefficiencies, they take positions where they screw up the regular investors and they have potential to collapse ENTIRE economic systems. Google "Long Term Capital Management". This was a hedge fund with celebrities like nobel prize winning black and scholes and meriwether from salomon. They leveraged (got loans) of almost ONE TRILLION (1000 BILLION) dollars. They placed ridiculous trades. In late 90s (98 i think) they placed a REALLY bad arb trade which caused so much panic that federal boards had to come in to help them out. If they didnt the global economy could have collapsed. Thats hedge funds for you. You all have of course heard of George Soros, he is a hedge fund manager. These are very profitable, very risky, dangerous to say the least. Wreckless fools like me love them. :smile:
Reply 199
do these jobs in IB allow you to travel a lot, or would a graduate be expected to stay in london all year long, travelling being possible after your MBA when you are more important :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending