The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of course. What sort of a ******* hasn't? Atm i'm crunching through the god delusion that i'm half way through since i've been stopped with exams. I bought 2 new ones today to carry me through the summer a bit aswell because hopefully i'll have more time now.
I read quite a bit, but not as much as I would like to.

I heard a few weeks ago that more households in Britain own 2 cars than own 2 novels...that makes me sad :frown:
of course...what kind of question is that?!
I don't think I could ever be properly friends with someone who didn't read.
Reply 23
Long time, because of exams. But I'm sending off an Amazon order today for about 12 books :smile:
Reply 24
Laus
I'm just about to start reading Charlotte Grey. Anyone read it?

Yup, it's not bad. :smile:
Reply 25
Yeah, the last time was last night (or very early this morning, one of the two). I', currently reading Resurrection Men by Ian Rankin. I really love his books :biggrin:
Reply 26
I think its been atleast 10 years for me, and the not so funny part is im dead serious :|
Reply 27
Once again NJA emerges from the woodwork complete with half-baked ideas :rolleyes:

I'm currently reading Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allen and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Our house is full to the brim with books :biggrin:
This thread reminds me of a girl in my A-level English class... she wasn't the brightest of sparks.
One lesson we were asked to read 'Surfacing' by Attwood, and she shouts out from the back of the class 'OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD! WE have to read that!? It must have like a HUNDRED PAGES! I haven't read a book in my LIFE!"

Although my favourite quote of hers was a little gem... 'OH MY GOOOD! I can't DEAL with this!!! It feels like my head is full of CLOUDS!"
I read a novel the other week, called 'daddy's little girl' it was about a pedo father, I enjoyed it.
Reply 30
Another_Girl
of course...what kind of question is that?!
I don't think I could ever be properly friends with someone who didn't read.

Angelil
Once again NJA emerges from the woodwork complete with half-baked ideas :rolleyes: . . .
Our house is full to the brim with books :biggrin:

I'm really glad I started this thread.
I suspect the sample of responders isn't representative, I suspect a strong pro-book bias. I will have to do research.

Reading the responses reminds me of the phrase "intellectual snobbery".
If reading books makes you like this, are you an advert for reading ?

Time to redeem yourselves people . . . please share how reading a book made you a better person.

Personally I like non-fiction - especially science, though I tend to read from the web rather than books.

I find true life more exciting than fiction, though I do enjoy "Tales of the unexpected" on TV, I just wouldn't have the time to read the books.

Please give a short review of your favourite book and I or someone else may well read it !
This morning.
Reply 32
This morning.
Any chance of a more informative response ?
Reply 33
The title of this thread made me laugh. I love books!

I read anything, every single day. My current books on the go are Chekhov's Comic Stories, The Insider by Piers Morgan (:redface:), The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressall, and Bridget Jones's Diary.

Personally I do not find it enough to read only one book at a time, you need to have a range of moods and themes to suit how you are feeling. :smile:
Reply 34
reading one on Stalin's hangmen atm, along with 1905 by Trotsky. the last story book was about 2 weeks ago: some short stories by Tolstoy.

the last really good book i read was the devils by Dostoevsky. i get very annoyed because i read quite slowly though :frown:
NJA
Any chance of a more informative response ?
yeh sorry bout that

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winter-Madrid-C-J-Sansom/dp/1405005467
Reply 36
I'm reading The Talking Ape by Robbins Burling, last read a bit about a day ago.
Reply 37
I'm one of the few people you'll meet who've written more books than they've read.
I have never read a fiction book all the way through (not even for GCSEs).
Tomber
I'm one of the few people you'll meet who've written more books than they've read.

o rly?

Published?

Latest

Trending

Trending