The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Question about filling in the accommodation form

Well, I've finally got round to filling in the accommodation form AF1, and I have a few problems. I am not sure what to put as an answer to question B2, that is where it says "Accommodation required in session 2004/5: From DD/MM/YY To DD/MM/YY". What dates do I need to put in there? Is it just the dates of the academic year, in which case I don't really see the need for it?

Also, does anyone know how much more ensuite costs? And in B7, will ticking "yes" to mixed sex accommodation when my first choice is Pollock make me less likely to get a Pollock place and more likely to be placed in a flat? And what's the difference between flats and "self-catering residences"? And can anyone recommend which flats complex to put down as my second and third accommodation choices? The accommodation guide doesn't say what the differences are.

Sorry about all the questions, I have probably made myself sound quite helpless, and thanks in advance (and rep) for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
The majority of flats are single sex therefore ticking that box should probably increase your chances of getting into Pollocks as opposed to decreasing it.

For the dates I'm going to put the start of Freahers weeks to the end of the academic year (end of exams etc...). I think that they have to give you the option even though it does seem quite an abnormal question.

Self Catering residences I liked were David Horn House and Kitchener House (both close to KB). If you want a university flat then Darroch Court and Sciennes II both looked nice. :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Leekey
The majority of flats are single sex therefore ticking that box should probably increase your chances of getting into Pollocks as opposed to decreasing it.

For the dates I'm going to put the start of Freahers weeks to the end of the academic year (end of exams etc...). I think that they have to give you the option even though it does seem quite an abnormal question.

Self Catering residences I liked were David Horn House and Kitchener House (both close to KB). If you want a university flat then Darroch Court and Sciennes II both looked nice. :smile:

I am fairly sure that once you arrive here, you are allowed to swap people around between flats and that includes allowing mixed-sex flats. But yes, at first flats are all single sex.
Leekey

NOO dont get flats near KB, u want them near george square, EVEN IF youre mainly at KB, because theres NOTHING up near KB!! ull b bored to death! sciennes is gud, theres a bus which stops there to take u up to KB and its close to george square, but pollocks the best!
GO LEE HOUSE!!
x o x
Reply 4
LittleMissSmile
NOO dont get flats near KB, u want them near george square, EVEN IF youre mainly at KB, because theres NOTHING up near KB!! ull b bored to death! sciennes is gud, theres a bus which stops there to take u up to KB and its close to george square, but pollocks the best!
GO LEE HOUSE!!
x o x

Opinions of Darroch Court?!? I was thinking about putting Frasers Court as one of my choices so I could go s/c but still be in/close to Pollocks. I think I'm going to have to get accomodation near Pollocks because most of the accomodation near KB looks worse than the others. :rolleyes:
Leekey
Opinions of Darroch Court?!? I was thinking about putting Frasers Court as one of my choices so I could go s/c but still be in/close to Pollocks. I think I'm going to have to get accomodation near Pollocks because most of the accomodation near KB looks worse than the others. :rolleyes:

Go to frasers court! seriously, u dont want to be near KB i promise!!!!!!

(what course u doin again?)

frasers court is cool, but pollock is loads better than s/c but if theres no persuadin u what can i do?!

x o x
Reply 6
LittleMissSmile
Go to frasers court! seriously, u dont want to be near KB i promise!!!!!!

(what course u doin again?)

frasers court is cool, but pollock is loads better than s/c but if theres no persuadin u what can i do?!

x o x

Comp Sci sweetie. Yeah I'm dead set on s/c so Pollocks isn't really an option for me!!! :biggrin: I think Darroch, Sciennes and Fraser Court are looking the best to me (all for from KB and fairly close to Pollocks so I should be close to everything!!! :smile:
Leekey
Comp Sci sweetie. Yeah I'm dead set on s/c so Pollocks isn't really an option for me!!! :biggrin: I think Darroch, Sciennes and Fraser Court are looking the best to me (all for from KB and fairly close to Pollocks so I should be close to everything!!! :smile:

did i tell u my m8 (female) did comp sci this year - so if u need help i can drag her to u!!

x o x
Reply 8
LittleMissSmile
did i tell u my m8 (female) did comp sci this year - so if u need help i can drag her to u!!

x o x

I'm sure I'll track her down of my own free will, I mean how many girlie comp sci's can there be?!? Give me a week and I'll have tried it on with at least half of them!!! :wink:
Reply 9
Leekey
I'm sure I'll track her down of my own free will, I mean how many girlie comp sci's can there be?!? Give me a week and I'll have tried it on with at least half of them!!! :wink:

Would you try any of the few female lecturers? :smile:
Leekey

well her bf wnt b too happy so ill warn him!
but yeh shes 2nd yr so donthtink ull really meet her.
u wnt b up at KB very often during first year do u know? your maths n stuff and i think even a lot of comp sci is at george square in appleton tower, so dnt worry about being far away from it - its 2nd year that kicks in. plus theres a regular free bus from gs up to kb

x o x
Squishy

hey dont say that...at uni i got 'most likely to have an affair with a uni lecturer'...
... well...theres nothin wrong with harmless flirting i say...

x o x
Reply 12
Squishy

It depends if ending the affair would result in me failing my course!!! :wink:
Reply 13
LittleMissSmile
well her bf wnt b too happy so ill warn him!
but yeh shes 2nd yr so donthtink ull really meet her.
u wnt b up at KB very often during first year do u know? your maths n stuff and i think even a lot of comp sci is at george square in appleton tower, so dnt worry about being far away from it - its 2nd year that kicks in. plus theres a regular free bus from gs up to kb

x o x

You never know, if I do the 2nd year entry thing I could be in her lectures / tutorials etc... :wink: Think I should avoid ladies with b/f's though.....much safer that way!!! :biggrin:
Leekey
You never know, if I do the 2nd year entry thing I could be in her lectures / tutorials etc... :wink: Think I should avoid ladies with b/f's though.....much safer that way!!! :biggrin:

why would u want to enter into second year? especialy when you wont b in pollock? thats like shootin urself in the foot twice...

x o x
Reply 15
LittleMissSmile
why would u want to enter into second year? especialy when you wont b in pollock? thats like shootin urself in the foot twice...

x o x

Good point, this is why I may stick to doing the full 4 years.....plus the added bopnus of only having to get 40% in the first 2 years!!! How did your results this year go? :confused:
Leekey
Good point, this is why I may stick to doing the full 4 years.....plus the added bopnus of only having to get 40% in the first 2 years!!! How did your results this year go? :confused:

seriously go into 1st year, then u can make mates on ur course easier whereas , like if ppl join my course this year it wud b tricker for them because we all know roughly each other and know who we like etc etc and probs wudnt b so welcomin to new ppl as opposed to in 1st yr where everyone wants to be mates with everyone!
i got 2 A's and 5 B's which is pretty impressive if u saw the lack of work and major late night revisin crammin i did!!

seriously dnt worry about work this year AT ALL, but do try and get exemptions in january

x o x
Reply 17
LittleMissSmile

seriously dnt worry about work this year AT ALL, but do try and get exemptions in january

x o x

This has been everyone's suggestion. I plan to spend 35 weeks drinking, 1 week recovering and 2 weeks in exams....should get me at least a passing grade!!! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending