Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happens if I dont give my textbook back to sixth form?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by Emilycunningham)
    I have quite a few textbooks to give back to my sixth form, but I literally cannot be bothered to go in and give them back. What can they actually do if I dont give them back, they said Ill be fined, but they cant exactly enforce that fine if Im not going there anymore right?
    Just return them. They are not yours to keep. Doesn't matter if you've finished college, theft is theft.

Each place has their own rules but I got this email about unreturned library books:

Please note that students who remain debtors to the College at the time of the requisite examination board in June 2016 will not have their results considered through the formal examination boards. This would result in no transcript being generated; and indeed no formal certificate being conferred through the Pearson awarding body. The Academic Advice and Guidance handbook states this.

The point is I want to know what would happen if I dont return my textbooks, not anyones opinion on whether I should or shouldnt- I dont need a moral highground lecture
    Do a small experiment, borrow books from your local library and don't return them, the two actions are roughly equivalent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well technically they cannot make me pay so
    You asked what would happen, we told you if you don't want to listen to us then fine, it's your own consequences and problems.

Considering you don't want to go because you can't be bothered then that's not a fair excuse, I have mobility issues and health problems and I still managed to do it after I finished my exams..

Just do it..it's not rocket science... some people need them books and you're just keeping them because you can't be bothered... honestly. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Not really.
    Explain then.

Well technically they still cant do anything so
    Why not?

You have their property.
    You have no right to keep it, but by doing so it amounts to theft.

You will have agreed to certain rules when you joined as will your parents.

They cna pursue you for their property or the cost of replacement.

I suggest you take on abstract prsim as your legal counsel and he seems to support your view that they cant do anything to recover their property.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.