The Student Room Group

I absolutely hate my job but I've got no motivation to look for another...

Scroll to see replies

You aren't alone dear, im suffring from same situation, everyday i say tomorrow will be better than today but i find myself in same place.
Reply 21
Original post by royal1990
Basically, I dread going to work everyday. It's gotten to the point I even contemplate calling in sick (even though I feel slightly bad for doing so!). I've often tried to think of excuses to mention when calling up.

I realise this probably paints me out to be a non-team player and horrible worker with a shoddy ethic, but that couldn't be farther from truth.

The environment I work is fast paced, stressful, demanding and managers are constantly screaming at us.

There is a clear hierarchy within the company, as its corporate, however, socially there is a 'pecking order'. Managers are biased toward those in their group, and its very cliquey.

The store manager has a group of maybe 5-6 lower managers that gossip about the work ethics of those lower down. They are incredibly two-faced, and often intermingle with some lower down too, so its 'every man for themselves' on some days. They're all local too, so if your not from the area your an outsider.

Some of the more direct issues I've faced is; gossiping about me, even when I'm in the room. Mostly related to how 'slow I am', and condescending me and making snide remarks and jokes about not wanting to be on shift with me, feeling sorry for xyz colleague because they are working with me.

You know the sort of belligerent and belittling attitude.

Thing is, I only took up the job to pay bills- while i look for something more suitable. I'm a graduate with a degree, and many here don't like/have that. I'm not trying to sound like an ass here- it's just they moan and berate my performance, however, they are not all that bright in thinking I'm oblivious to their bullying.

I may not be the fastest worker, but I have a good level of intelligence to know that they are gossiping and I ain't an idiot.

I could and have thought about following the appropriate channels within the organisation, by going to the People Manager (HR), however, from what I've heard of others before me that did the same- it only backfires- resulting in people getting more unbearable poor treatment and going.

Everyone is mates from the top-down. :/ For what its worth, I'd rather walk away and join the dole queue- or so i feel that way. I've always told myself any job is better than none- but I dunno.

Secondly, I am looking for work and applying but somedays I'm so unmotivated and basically depressed. I wouldn't say its chronic yet. I have a history of issues, but the job is slowly grinding me down. I need to work to pay bills but can no longer stand it.

I've registered with the local doctors surgery, but I'm awaiting a new patients assessment which they've yet to confirm the date.

Short of going to the doctors and getting medication, I am unsure as to what to do. Trying to get a new job is easier said than done- I'm already doing so- what more can be done?

I should mention that to some degree I feel I'm selling myself short by been in this job. I am capable of so much more, but the problem is as much economic as it is personal struggle. I think this contributes to my own lack of self esteem and depression.

Forget all this crap about "team player"?? When your health is concerned beinga "team player" should be the last thing on your list. They dont really care whether you come to work or not. You must sit down and deice what is right for you > YOU!!! Not anyone else. You can be assured that the "team" of individuals, will be doing whatever they want and will never have you in mind.
Try to stop justifying yourself dependant on how others perceive you. They do not feature in how you want to live.
Here is a rule I live by..... if you sit on the fence you are neither in one garden or the other. You are in this grey mushy land of nothing instead of deciding black or white. When you make a decision, even the wrong decision, you can and will adapt on the basis of where you find yourself. You can not decide how you move forward when you are hovering in nowhere land.
Example; People end relationships and meet a new partner a million times better than the one they were with. But if you sit on the fence you can not decide and you will not meet anyone else. Its the same with everything you do.
Making hard decisions is how you move on and how you become a better you and your health will immediately improve. Stress is a killer and belive me stress can totally flatten a person and destroy their will to be positive.
If you got a phone call today saying: You have been left £200,000. you would instantly feel good. why??? Afterall nothing has changed about you, physically. So this is evidence of how your mindset impacts how you are and how you behave.
Sit back and watch Ernest Shackleton's amazing journey, on Youtube. I guarantee your thinking will change.
I am unemployed and dread the daily job search grind so sometimes (quite often) I don’t do it and end up kicking myself at the end of one of those lazy days. You’ve got a job and money coming in so keep that and get looking. The quicker you start the sooner you’ll get something. I’m ready this am for my search, join me!
Hey man,

Really sorry to hear of this. With some work places, there's a chance things can better (as they should) if you take it up higher within the company. If you're acknowledging it's rigged from the top, then my suggestion would be to just find another place to work. I've been at work places where they are such bullies and the culture there is so strong and rotten, it was better off for me to leave. Also, when lots of people enter their work place and then leave, it gives the company an incentive to investigate and solve its internal problems such as misconduct, verbal abuse, bullying. None of those which you deserve, at all :smile: . You leaving may do good for you and them. Also, I know money is a big incentive to stay but i would ask you, would you rather live with higher self esteem and not depressed on the doll or work around those people who cause you harm to your mental health and get paid? My personal inclination is the first, but I really hoped this helped. You deserve compassion and respect from others, as every human does. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending