Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Are colleges legally required to ask for ID?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I was told to show my passport at one of the colleges I applied to during my interview earlier this year. Now, I know that businesses are supposed to ask for a new employee, as are landlords to tenants, however are colleges now also required to? And the college made it clear that it had to be a passport (it didn't state it could be anything else). So in technical sense, are 16 year olds now unofficially required to have a passport? How easy would it be to get through life without either a passport or driving licence? I suspect not very, given that you will need one of these in most cases for a new job, to rent a property, or to buy alcohol in many places (although you can get a PASS card for the latter).

    Well obviously they need to have some sort of ID from you to confirm that you are who you say you are. Did you ask if it has to be a passport? Just because it may not say alternatives on some form doesn't mean there aren't any.

    When you first start school it's your parents responsibility to confirm your identity but when you apply for college you are considered responsible for yourself. So they have full rights to ask you for one and do commonly ask for some sort of ID before they will register you on the course.
    • Thread Starter

    I'm sure that there would be alternatives to a passport. I have one, so it isn't a major issue, but I was wondering if it's just a policy at many colleges to ask, or a recently introduced requirement set by the government in order to prevent illegal students? I'm interested since a lot of places like colleges used to ask for a birth certificate, but now ask for photographic ID instead.

    Well they are legally required to get ID to ensure your identity. Passport is their choice.
    But birth certificates are all good but there's no way to prove it's yours. Photo ID makes it easier to confirm it. This is also why when you apply for your provisional and don't have a passport you need to have someone confirm that you are who you claim you are in the picture.
    It also helps with people born outside of UK. They may not have English birth certificates but can have a UK passport or at least a passport with English translation.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.