The Student Room Group

Double award science or triple award science?

I am currently doing double award science and my teachers think I am doing superbly and they have asked me to move up and do triple. However I don't think triple will benefit me as it's just a lot more hard and more stressful. I'm really unsure on whether I should move up or not. Do any of you have any advice?
Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Triple will be good if you're looking at doing any of the sciences for A-Level. You'll also have the benefit of having three seperate science grades, meaning if you screw up one of them, it won't effect the others. Sure, that means doing P3/B3/C3, but if you're interested and good at sciences, then it'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 2
That has actually helped me! Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
Triple will be good if you're looking at doing any of the sciences for A-Level. You'll also have the benefit of having three seperate science grades, meaning if you screw up one of them, it won't effect the others. Sure, that means doing P3/B3/C3, but if you're interested and good at sciences, then it'll be absolutely fine.

I don't think I want to do any sciences for A-Level or have a career involving science. My teacher told me that I should think of it like would I rather get 3 C's or get an overall A*. I just think maybe getting an A* would be a lot better. Thank you :smile:
Original post by dp1828
I am currently doing double award science and my teachers think I am doing superbly and they have asked me to move up and do triple. However I don't think triple will benefit me as it's just a lot more hard and more stressful. I'm really unsure on whether I should move up or not. Do any of you have any advice?
Thank you :smile:

I would suggest you move up. People like to say things are hard and stressful, myself included :smile:, but I think they just exaggerate. I'm sure you'll be able to manage and if not, you can always go back to double. :aetsch:
Reply 5
Original post by Ara8311a
I would suggest you move up. People like to say things are hard and stressful, myself included :smile:, but I think they just exaggerate. I'm sure you'll be able to manage and if not, you can always go back to double. :aetsch:

I am really confused haha. I am going into y11 now and the teachers have told me that when you move up now there is no going back unless you do awful and by awful I mean like getting E's and D's. I find science quite hard but not really hard right now but I'm not too sure. I really don't know what to choose :frown:
Reply 6
I stuck with double science as my teacher said it would be better to get two really good grades rather than three maybe not so good ones if I did triple.
Original post by dp1828
I am really confused haha. I am going into y11 now and the teachers have told me that when you move up now there is no going back unless you do awful and by awful I mean like getting E's and D's. I find science quite hard but not really hard right now but I'm not too sure. I really don't know what to choose :frown:

Do you enjoy science? Sorry to be blunt but that's what it comes down to. If you decide to take triple, I can imagine you'll have to do more work and if you hate it, you won't have a fun time...
Personally, I wouldn't make myself miserable just to prove that I can do something hard. If it's not your passion, there's no harm in not doing it. I'm studying two science A-Levels (Biology and Chemistry) but I didn't do triple science.
Reply 9
Do you enjoy science? Sorry to be blunt but that's what it comes down to. If you decide to take triple, I can imagine you'll have to do more work and if you hate it, you won't have a fun time...

I quite like science now because I feel much more comfortable in my class as I'm doing way better than everyone else (I'm not trying to boast). Everyone else is getting C's and D's and I'm getting A*'s right now and I've never hit an A* in science before. I don't enjoy science as a subject as it does confuse me and I do have a science tutor because I still do find some things hard. I think I should just remain doing double science because I feel like it's the best for me. Thank you so much!
Reply 10
Original post by _4everfaithful__
Personally, I wouldn't make myself miserable just to prove that I can do something hard. If it's not your passion, there's no harm in not doing it. I'm studying two science A-Levels (Biology and Chemistry) but I didn't do triple science.

Yeah, I don't have a passion in science. Honestly, that's amazing how your doing A-Levels in Biology and Chemistry without triple. This has really reassured me. Thank you!!
Lol just because I was in 2nd set, I wasn't allowed to do triple even though I constantly got the highest grade in class for 2 years.
Original post by dp1828
Yeah, I don't have a passion in science. Honestly, that's amazing how your doing A-Levels in Biology and Chemistry without triple. This has really reassured me. Thank you!!

Your welcome :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dp1828
I quite like science now because I feel much more comfortable in my class as I'm doing way better than everyone else (I'm not trying to boast). Everyone else is getting C's and D's and I'm getting A*'s right now and I've never hit an A* in science before. I don't enjoy science as a subject as it does confuse me and I do have a science tutor because I still do find some things hard. I think I should just remain doing double science because I feel like it's the best for me. Thank you so much!

You're welcome. :smile: I was the same in Maths last year, well not the same, but I was doing better than everyone else. Unfortunately because I was in a higher group and people at my school are competitive, it didn't last for long. :smile: Good luck with your exams! (even though you still have a year!)
Reply 14
Original post by _4everfaithful__
Lol just because I was in 2nd set, I wasn't allowed to do triple even though I constantly got the highest grade in class for 2 years.

That's crazy! At least your doing biology and chemistry A-Levels now. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 15
You're welcome. :smile: I was the same in Maths last year, well not the same, but I was doing better than everyone else. Unfortunately because I was in a higher group and people at my school are competitive, it didn't last for long. :smile: Good luck with your exams! (even though you still have a year!)

Thank you!! :smile:
Omg don't make the same mistake as me. I was in the top set and made the mistake of picking double because it was easier but it was actually really boring. I moved back up to triple in 2 weeks. Triple science was amazing and tbh I like the way the exams were set up in comparison. all physics in one exam, all bio in a separate and all chem in a separate exam. I don't like how double mixed parts of all three in one. Although there were 6 exams in comparison to just 4. You'll be fine if you revise everything early and be strict about it. It was actually surprising coz I thought I would do bad due to lack of revision, but ended up smashing it. GO for it and don't look back, you'll be fine! :wink:
If you're not massively bothered, then there's really no point in doing it and causing unnecessary work for yourself. It doesn't really give any major advantage, even for those who want to go into science. I'm going into my third year of Biological Sciences with a First and I only did double (I chose against triple) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Jazzy97
Omg don't make the same mistake as me. I was in the top set and made the mistake of picking double because it was easier but it was actually really boring. I moved back up to triple in 2 weeks. Triple science was amazing and tbh I like the way the exams were set up in comparison. all physics in one exam, all bio in a separate and all chem in a separate exam. I don't like how double mixed parts of all three in one. Although there were 6 exams in comparison to just 4. You'll be fine if you revise everything early and be strict about it. It was actually surprising coz I thought I would do bad due to lack of revision, but ended up smashing it. GO for it and don't look back, you'll be fine! :wink:

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to really think hard about this haha
Reply 19
Original post by Changing Skies
If you're not massively bothered, then there's really no point in doing it and causing unnecessary work for yourself. It doesn't really give any major advantage, even for those who want to go into science. I'm going into my third year of Biological Sciences with a First and I only did double (I chose against triple) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose it's only really one more unit and it's not a huge difference..

Quick Reply

Latest