The Student Room Group

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
So I need some advice. I'm getting a new phone but I can't decide between the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 or the Galaxy S2. I'm on PAYG with o2, and not looking to change, so the Ace2 is £180, and the S2 is £300. As far as I can see, the Ace2 does pretty much what I want it to, EXCEPT the OS and the camera aren't as good as I want them to be. Ace 2 is on 2.3 Gingerbread, S2 is 4.0 Ice cream sandwich. The Ace 2's camera is 5 megapixels and 720p at 30 fps, S2's one is 8mp and records at full HD (I assume that means 1020p at 30fps? I can't seem to find out) There's a few other niggly little things like memory (S2 has 16gb vs 4gb for Ace2) and how long the battery lasts, but I'm more concerned with OS and camera. I kinda want this phone to last me a good few years (3, maybe 4) so would it be better to go with the S2 as it has a newer OS? And is it worth £100 more?
Original post by rugbyladosc
Where is giffgaff?

Joining giffgaff - best decision I've ever made
Reply 382
Original post by DaveDavids
Galaxy S3 = god of phones
I had intended to wait for the IPhone5 and compare and contrast it against the Galaxy S3 and then get which one I favoured however I realised 10 days ago that I find Apple products irritating to use mainly because of some of the software and espeically because of itunes.
I figured that even if it was better than the Galaxy S3 in general terms I'd get sick of the interface.
So 9 days ago I got the Galaxy S3 and I do not regret it.
I am 200% confident that I wont even feel slightly gutted if it turns out the IPhone5 IMO is better as I am very happy with the Galaxy S3.

Galaxy S3 Offers:
http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=63794010 if that link does not work try this http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/deals/samsung_galaxy_s3/
Galaxy S3 free and a contract with T-mobile for £26 over 24 months (with 3 months free thus effectively £22.75 a month), 300 mins, unlimited texts, 750mb data.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=63649957
Galaxy S3 free and a contract with T-mobile for £26 over 24 months (with 3 months free thus effectively £22.75 a month), 100 mins, unlimited texts, 1500mb(1.5gb) data.

Indeed you will be paying £26 over 24 months = £624 however there is 3 months free via redemption.
You claim the redemption on the 6th bill and get a refund of £39 and the 12th bill and get a refund of £39 thus a saving of £78.
Thus claiming the redemption means you will only pay an overall of £546 over 24 months as you are effectively paying £22.75 a month.

Lack of Data why not have 2 Sims if it is more cost effective:
If having more mobile data is such an issue then you can always get a Giff Gaff sim and pay £10 for 1 month and change the Sim over when required.
The phone costs £500 thus purchasing it outright and signing upto Giff Gaff is not cost effective as long term over 24 month you would pay £740. The above T-mobile contracts total is £546 (with 3 months free) over 24 months thats £194 cheaper thus if you wish you could pay for 19 months with Giff Gaff alongside the T-mobile contact and have £4 spare.
I think most people will agree these two T-mobile offers on the S3 are very good and any issue of lack of data can be sorted by having a Giff Gaff sim only on standby.

I'd recommend people consider these offers for the Galaxy S3 and if it is not for you then do use these Galaxy S3 offers to justify in your head if any other phone offers are actually a deal or a rip off!

Data tip:
You may require and use a lot of data but that does not mean you need a mobile tariff with a lot of mobile data.
You need to establish how often you are going to be conntected to a wi-fi at home, on the move, shop/cafe, at uni, at work etc.
Do not just assume because you use a lot of data that you require mobile data, there are a lot of people who are heavy data users and go on to not utilising their monthly mobile data usage due to the amount of times they contect to wi-fi.

Usage - In general What people should be doing is assessing their:
(1) call use,
(2) text use,

Alongside point 1 and 2 they need to know how often are they are around the main people they contact via call or text and asses their landline usage.

(3) data use [both (3.A) wi-fi data and (3.B) mobile data].
Alongside point 3 they need to assess their access to wi-fi zones that they already pay for seprately and free wi-fi zones.

Once you have consider these aspects:
do the maths on each contract offer to work out effectively what is the best offer for you.

WATCH YOUR BACKS WITH THIS ONE FOLKS!

Just rang T-Mobile to discuss this offer and they DON'T do this. You would be buying this THIRD PARTY which means you aren't covered with any warranty and if you have any faults with the phone you're knackered. T-Mobile can only cover network issues - anything else and because you haven't dealt directly with them you're in a bit of Barney Rubble!

The best offer T-Mobile can offer is £31 p/m with a £49 up front cost for the handset and with that you get 2000 any network minutes, unlimited T-Mobile calls, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

The best offer for the Samsung Galaxy S3 is with Three. They offer it at £31 p/m with just a £29 upfront cost (not £49 like with T-Mobile) and with that you get the same tariff so 2000 any network minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 Three to Three minutes and unlimited internet AND you can use it for tethering.
Original post by tomtom415
Joining giffgaff - best decision I've ever made

I agree its great. 250 minutes unlimited text and web (no fair use policy)... great on smart phones... Come on OP edit it so others can enjoy the great offer with opportunity to contribute of the forum and potentially make money & credit...!
Bundled Offer looks Fine!.
I and my partner will be moving over to the UK in about a month's time. We are still trying to figure out what to do about phone service. Does anyone know what a good plan individual/family would be for unlimited talk and text and supports international calls/texts (we still want to keep in touch with family here in the US)?
Reply 386
I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if this has been discussed before. does anyone have the galaxy note and have any opinions on it?
I was originally going to buy myself a small cheapish (<150) tablet with the main purpose of reading and working from lecture slides in the library when I have time in-between classes. And I was going to get a iphone 4S for Christmas. But the galaxy note seems to be a comparable phone to the iphone if not better aswell as being cheaper. I was also thinking that since its quite large, somewhere in between the size of a normal phone and a tablet, it would be large enough to read and work from. Therefore saving me money on buying the tablet and also on my phone (my parents are paying the upfront cost as my christmas present but I will still be paying the monthly ones)

however I have a few concerns related to the size. will it actually be big enough to read lecture slides on easily without getting frustrating? also does it being so large make it awkward to use as a phone?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 387
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I and my partner will be moving over to the UK in about a month's time. We are still trying to figure out what to do about phone service. Does anyone know what a good plan individual/family would be for unlimited talk and text and supports international calls/texts (we still want to keep in touch with family here in the US)?

what plans would be good depend on things like would you be buying a phone with the plan or do you already have a phone and want a sim only one? if you want a phone which phone do you want? do you need data? if so how much?

I think but am not sure that quite a few providers offer a bolt on to make it cheaper to phone certain countries, this is an extra cost to the basic contract but will work out a lot cheaper than not having it and just phoning abroad and being charged to do so.

sorry to ask lots of questions but the more specific you are the more helpful people can be.
Need some help with regards to T-mobile's BBM booster thing; if I top up £20 for the 6 month free BBM, do I get to keep the credit too? Or, do I just sound like an appaling optimist? :colondollar:
Original post by Gerivta
Hello! I'm sure this must have been discussed somewhere in the thread, but i cannot find it..

I'm an EU citizen who's going to study in Scotland from September and I'm currently wondering about signing a contract (pay monthly) so that i could get a nice smartphone for free. I think i can give up to 30 pounds per month so i find this kind of deals suitable for me. The problem is that I haven't lived here for three years or something like that so i cannot sign a contract. I'm not sure whether i understand everything completely... maybe i don't... Maybe i should buy a nice phone from here (Bulgaria) and then use 'pay as you go'.. Any advice (networks too) is welcome :smile:

Geri

If you go to a shop and find a salesperson who really wants to make the sale, they might just look the other way with regards to living in the UK for three years and then you'll be able to get the contract. The key is being able to prove that you have the money in your bank account when you sign up. So take some paperwork with you proving this. You could also just buy the phone from Bulgaria and then sign up to one of the PAYG deals discussed on this thread. Also, the question is how long will you stay in Scotland? Very few 12 month contracts are available, if any.
Okay can someone help me. I was looking to get the iPhone 5 but i'm a bit disappointed.
I'm now looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3 but i'm no phone buff and i'm getting a bit confused with the terms.
What exactly is LTE?
What is EE?
What is 4g?

What would be the best option?
Thanks
Original post by DaveDavids
Galaxy S3 = god of phones
I had intended to wait for the IPhone5 and compare and contrast it against the Galaxy S3 and then get which one I favoured however I realised 10 days ago that I find Apple products irritating to use mainly because of some of the software and espeically because of itunes.
I figured that even if it was better than the Galaxy S3 in general terms I'd get sick of the interface.
So 9 days ago I got the Galaxy S3 and I do not regret it.
I am 200% confident that I wont even feel slightly gutted if it turns out the IPhone5 IMO is better as I am very happy with the Galaxy S3.

Galaxy S3 Offers:
http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=63794010 if that link does not work try this http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/deals/samsung_galaxy_s3/
Galaxy S3 free and a contract with T-mobile for £26 over 24 months (with 3 months free thus effectively £22.75 a month), 300 mins, unlimited texts, 750mb data.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=63649957
Galaxy S3 free and a contract with T-mobile for £26 over 24 months (with 3 months free thus effectively £22.75 a month), 100 mins, unlimited texts, 1500mb(1.5gb) data.

Indeed you will be paying £26 over 24 months = £624 however there is 3 months free via redemption.
You claim the redemption on the 6th bill and get a refund of £39 and the 12th bill and get a refund of £39 thus a saving of £78.
Thus claiming the redemption means you will only pay an overall of £546 over 24 months as you are effectively paying £22.75 a month.

Lack of Data why not have 2 Sims if it is more cost effective:
If having more mobile data is such an issue then you can always get a Giff Gaff sim and pay £10 for 1 month and change the Sim over when required.
The phone costs £500 thus purchasing it outright and signing upto Giff Gaff is not cost effective as long term over 24 month you would pay £740. The above T-mobile contracts total is £546 (with 3 months free) over 24 months thats £194 cheaper thus if you wish you could pay for 19 months with Giff Gaff alongside the T-mobile contact and have £4 spare.
I think most people will agree these two T-mobile offers on the S3 are very good and any issue of lack of data can be sorted by having a Giff Gaff sim only on standby.

I'd recommend people consider these offers for the Galaxy S3 and if it is not for you then do use these Galaxy S3 offers to justify in your head if any other phone offers are actually a deal or a rip off!

Data tip:
You may require and use a lot of data but that does not mean you need a mobile tariff with a lot of mobile data.
You need to establish how often you are going to be conntected to a wi-fi at home, on the move, shop/cafe, at uni, at work etc.
Do not just assume because you use a lot of data that you require mobile data, there are a lot of people who are heavy data users and go on to not utilising their monthly mobile data usage due to the amount of times they contect to wi-fi.

Usage - In general What people should be doing is assessing their:
(1) call use,
(2) text use,

Alongside point 1 and 2 they need to know how often are they are around the main people they contact via call or text and asses their landline usage.

(3) data use [both (3.A) wi-fi data and (3.B) mobile data].
Alongside point 3 they need to assess their access to wi-fi zones that they already pay for seprately and free wi-fi zones.

Once you have consider these aspects:
do the maths on each contract offer to work out effectively what is the best offer for you.

Extending from this I've come across a similar deal for Orange:
http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/basketnew.aspx?addoc=24ORGS3L02&qty=1&ins=1
750MB, Unlimited texts, 200 Minutes, 3 months free at £26 a month.

Can anyone advise me on this - is it 'safe'?

Also, as Orange and T-Mobile are now EE, would it be plausible for me to upgrade from Orange to T-Mobile?
I'd also like to know someone's opinion on the above deal and if dialaphone is any good or if there are hidden charges/things to look out for from them (ie, whats the difference between buying from them compared to straight from orange?) cheers
Original post by Benniboi1
I'd also like to know someone's opinion on the above deal and if dialaphone is any good or if there are hidden charges/things to look out for from them (ie, whats the difference between buying from them compared to straight from orange?) cheers

I think it's something to do with the warranty but don't take my word for it!

I know Dialaphone from their days of sponsoring Middlesbrough Football Club, so they're definitely real :tongue:
Reply 394
Original post by Truby_Liz
... Ace 2 is on 2.3 Gingerbread, S2 is 4.0 Ice cream sandwich...

Apparently Samsung will be offering Jelly Bean (4.1) for Ace 2.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2_and_s_advance_to_skip_ics_get_jb-news-4786.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
I have no idea what to get, I send a lot of emails and texts, don't call a lot and don't even care what the phone actually is, since I'd only use it for those two things, what contract and phone should I look for?
Any opinions on the Galaxy S2?

I'm looking for a new contract phone but I'm kind of trying to keep the costs down. I could probably go up to £30/month max but prefer to keep it more around the £25 mark or under even.
Don't care much for which provider as long as it's not Orange cause they always seem to have really bad reception in my area for some reason (Hertfordshire area).

min of around 300 minutes, 500+ texts and as much data as possible (500MB +).

Any ideas? :smile:
Reply 397
why is giffgaff.com not up there?
Reply 398
Original post by Aisha M
why is giffgaff.com not up there?

I agree, their hockey cokey tariff is really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking for a new phone tariff. Currently receive something like 300 minutes, 3k texts and 750mb internet for £15.50 per month.

Don't need a new phone. Only need something like 100 minutes, 100 texts and 250-500mb internet per month.

Currently with Vodafone; so am going to see if they can match deals offered by other companies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending