The Student Room Group

Messed up my Masters dissertation

I have messed up my formatting in my masters dissertation(Newcastle,engineering) and there are some mistakes as well. my conclusion is also not strong. would I be able to clear the dissertation and what are my options or outcomes?
Original post by Azamali
I have messed up my formatting in my masters dissertation(Newcastle,engineering) and there are some mistakes as well. my conclusion is also not strong. would I be able to clear the dissertation and what are my options or outcomes?

What do you mean 'clear the dissertation'? Check your specific course details. You probably need to pass the dissertation. Newcastle engineering, I don't suppose they have generous re-submit options (RG universities rarely do). So you have to wait and see what your grade is and whether you have passed, and make your decisions from there when you have the facts.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
What do you mean 'clear the dissertation'? Check your specific course details. You probably need to pass the dissertation. Newcastle engineering, I don't suppose they have generous re-submit options (RG universities rarely do). So you have to wait and see what your grade is and whether you have passed, and make your decisions from there when you have the facts.

By clear I meant pass. Does my document formatting mistakes significantly affect my dissertation numbers ?
Original post by Azamali

What kind of mistakes and what did you do wrong with the formatting?

Conclusion is a separate issue by itself. *
I imagine they would be very lenient on formatting, if the content is appropriate. Conclusion is just one of a few components, so no issue there.
If it looks like you put in some good time and effort, I'm sure they will want to pass you. But don't know anything of it from what you mentioned there.
Original post by Azamali
By clear I meant pass. Does my document formatting mistakes significantly affect my dissertation numbers ?

You'd have to look up the marking scheme for your course. It's a course decision, not one randomers on the internet can help with.
Reply 6
Original post by infairverona
What kind of mistakes and what did you do wrong with the formatting?

Conclusion is a separate issue by itself. *

some blank space between sections. usage of different fonts in some areas.some appendix missing.
Original post by Azamali
some blank space between sections. usage of different fonts in some areas.some appendix missing.

I think it will depend on your marking criteria, my undergrad uni gave us a specific mark for formatting but my postgrad uni doesn't care at all I don't think. They don't even tell us what font to use. Have you got a marking criteria?

You will probably lose marks for an incomplete appendix and poor conclusion but that will have been factored into your overall mark*
Reply 8
Original post by Azamali

Every uni/course can set its own regs, so you need to find yours.

Have you handed in yet? Unless you have proof of Extenuating Circumstances - illness, bereavement etc - you don't really have options. You need to hand it in before the deadline or risk failing the Masters entirely. Nobody will be sympathetic if you've just messed up the diss without any serious reason.

Speak to your course leader and/or diss supervisor, urgently.*
As a masters student surely you'd think to look at the mark scheme and answer your own question from there? Is that not blindingly obvious?
Reply 10
To add to my post above...

At my current uni, failure to follow formatting instructions (which are specified to font, font size and line spacing detail) is penalised under the marking scheme. Submitting a paper according to a specification is seen as an appropriate and desirable academic skill which students should have developed by this stage of their career, along with things like referencing. My Masters uni had no specification for diss formatting, other than adhering to any of your supervisor's requirements and formatting the document neatly and consistently throughout. You could be marked down for poor formatting, but the guidelines were looser.

As has been said above, every uni sets its own marking criteria. Your uni may or may not view the issues in your diss as significant. We have no way of knowing whether you will pass or not. If you have already handed in, there's no point mithering about it any more. If you have not yet handed in, stop asking the internet for excuses, get off TSR and sort it out.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending