The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*****i mean September not december lol
Reply 2
Go to salford if u want to go somewhere that isnt that well regarded. Go to Reading or Nottingham trent or Sheffield Hallam or Loughborough and a few others if you want to go somewhere that is quite well regarded. IMO

There will always be oversea opportunities somewhere in the world!
Reply 3
icklebrov
Go to salford if u want to go somewhere that isnt that well regarded. Go to Reading or Nottingham trent or Sheffield Hallam or Loughborough and a few others if you want to go somewhere that is quite well regarded. IMO

There will always be oversea opportunities somewhere in the world!

It really doesn't matter - they are all accredited by the RICS which is really the hallmark of how they are regarded. And frankly, there are fewer QS graduates than there are QS jobs anyway so having a "cutting edge" QS degree (if such a thing exists) isn't the be all and end all.
Reply 4
Howard
It really doesn't matter - they are all accredited by the RICS which is really the hallmark of how they are regarded. And frankly, there are fewer QS graduates than there are QS jobs anyway so having a "cutting edge" QS degree (if such a thing exists) isn't the be all and end all.

I strongly disagree. Different departments have different reputations for teaching quality and a whole host of other things. Companies WILL have preconceptions about where you take your degree, otherwise there would be no point in these unis having different grade offers or striving to get ahead of other unis in their field through research and other means.

Yes there is a surplus of jobs, but some jobs are better than others! don't you want to be in the top portion of graduates getting the better jobs?

Go to the best uni you can, it makes sense to! Though of course practical experience is also highly relevant.
Reply 5
icklebrov
I strongly disagree. Different departments have different reputations for teaching quality and a whole host of other things. Companies WILL have preconceptions about where you take your degree, otherwise there would be no point in these unis having different grade offers or striving to get ahead of other unis in their field through research and other means.

Yes there is a surplus of jobs, but some jobs are better than others! don't you want to be in the top portion of graduates getting the better jobs?

Go to the best uni you can, it makes sense to! Though of course practical experience is also highly relevant.

Personally, from a CQS perspective, I'd be far more concerned over how they perform at interview. I would not hesitate to employ a 2:1 (or even a 2:2) from Salford over a 1st from Loughborough if I got the impression that the 2:1was commercially more savvy. Which of the two can negotiate the best deal? Which of the two is less lightly to get eaten alive by a subcontractor's pet shark? QS'ing isn't all about pinstripe suits arguing with the Architect over the cost of Italian tiling - from a CQS perspective it's all about doing deals, keeping a lid on costs, quick reaction, and generally being a ruthless s.o.b
Reply 6
Howard
Personally, from a CQS perspective, I'd be far more concerned over how they perform at interview. I would not hesitate to employ a 2:1 (or even a 2:2) from Salford over a 1st from Loughborough if I got the impression that the 2:1was commercially more savvy. Which of the two can negotiate the best deal? Which of the two is less lightly to get eaten alive by a subcontractor's pet shark? QS'ing isn't all about pinstripe suits arguing with the Architect over the cost of Italian tiling - from a CQS perspective it's all about doing deals, keeping a lid on costs, quick reaction, and generally being a ruthless s.o.b

I know nothing about QS, but you're missing the point. Icklebrov is trying to say that why wouldn't you take into consideration the strength of the department at their respective universities? Of course, I agree with you that a 2:1 from Salford might be more commercially savvy than the guy who got a first from Loughborough, but in this example, you are just assuming the guy at Salford is more commercially aware and competent. However, what if both the guys both are 'equally' strong in the strengths that are required in the job? Then would you still pick the 2:1 from Salford over the 1st from Loughborough?
Reply 7
Singh_87
I know nothing about QS, but you're missing the point. Icklebrov is trying to say that why wouldn't you take into consideration the strength of the department at their respective universities? Of course, I agree with you that a 2:1 from Salford might be more commercially savvy than the guy who got a first from Loughborough, but in this example, you are just assuming the guy at Salford is more commercially aware and competent. However, what if both the guys both are 'equally' strong in the strengths that are required in the job? Then would you still pick the 2:1 from Salford over the 1st from Loughborough?

I know lots about QS'ing (easily enough to lecture on the subject at Loughborough (or Salford!) but it's you who is missing the point as you seem to imply that I would always pick Salford - which is not what I said at all.

To clarify, I'm saying that if (Salford) came accross as being more savvy I'd employ him over the guy with the first from Loghborough. Clearly if they both appeared "equally strong" I'd pick the one from Loughborough.
Reply 8
Howard
I know lots about QS'ing (easily enough to lecture on the subject at Loughborough (or Salford!) but it's you who is missing the point as you seem to imply that I would always pick Salford - which is not what I said at all.

To clarify, I'm saying that if (Salford) came accross as being more savvy I'd employ him over the guy with the first from Loghborough. Clearly if they both appeared "equally strong" I'd pick the one from Loughborough.

Sorry, but you said:

That post clearly says it doesn't really matter where you have studied since they are all RICS accredited, but in your later posts you seem to imply that you would take into consideration the institution by saying:

I'd pick the one from Loughborough

Now, I'm no quantity surveyor, but I sure can see who is missing the point here :wink:
Reply 9
So you would employ someone with a 2.2 from Salford over a person with a 1.1 from Loughborough based purely on the impression you got in ONE interview?

then is there any point in anyone doing a degree in surveying?, as according to you it seems it is pretty much worthless in relation to commercial savvyness....?

We might aswell just apply for jobs so long as we are commercially savvy, forget the whole studying thing, who needs that?

What about someones commercial savvyness developing on the job with experience and responsibility?

Just interested to see what your view on this is Howard...
Reply 10
fd
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
icklebrov
So you would employ someone with a 2.2 from Salford over a person with a 1.1 from Loughborough based purely on the impression you got in ONE interview?

then is there any point in anyone doing a degree in surveying?, as according to you it seems it is pretty much worthless in relation to commercial savvyness....?

We might aswell just apply for jobs so long as we are commercially savvy, forget the whole studying thing, who needs that?

What about someones commercial savvyness developing on the job with experience and responsibility?

Just interested to see what your view on this is Howard...

So you would employ someone purely on the basis of academic record?

A first class degree does not, IMV, necessarily make you the person I'd want to employ. One may have a first class from Loughborough but do they have the strength of personality, commercial nonce etc to defeat a hungry subcontractor's QS or are they going to lose their (and consequently my)shirts? Or do they have the ability to acquire these skills? Maybe they do - maybe they don't.

You see it really all depends on what side of the fence you are on. PQS's often make bloody appalling CQS's and visa versa (this explains why relatively few CQS's cross the fence to become PQS's and visa versa) - so I'd be looking at different qualities if I were recruiting a graduate for a major construction company than if I were recruiting for a well known Cost Consultancy. In short, the sort of person that might be a great match for Davis Langdon might be an awful match for Kier or Taywood. I'd be looking for different qualities again if I were recruiting a graduate who was interested in claims work.

IMO personality goes a long way - QS'ing for a contractor is EXTREMELY adversarial and having a first class degree does not necessarily equip you for that type of environment. You could be a QS'ing genius with a first and make a brilliant cost consultant or be a complete whizz kid at the pre-contact stage - but a bloody disaster in other areas.

Of course, all of this is just how I see things and how I might go about recruiting a QS graduate. Your ideas may be different but then again I'm a bit more likely than you to be doing the interviewing.:biggrin:
Reply 12
To the OP, Go to the best uni you can get to. You might as well.

I take on board all the points here. And i conclude with the fact that personality is obviously massively important, but so is having a good degree from a good place these days.
Reply 13
simpleton7890
Hi all,
i am interested in a career in Quantity Surveying. I know the jobs interests me and i have the required skills/ mindset for the job. However, one of my attractions to the job is the overseas work ability.

My question is to those in the know,,,,can you see the oppurtunity for overseas work declining within the next 10 years?? Particularly in the Middle East as it is becoming over-developed. Within the next 10 years will the demand for construction jobs also decline???

I am currently going into Upper Sixth in december and applying for uni soon. I was thinking Salford- pros/cons?. also which other good Unis??

Sory for the long thread. Any input to ANY of my questions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Thanks guys
regards

Well i'm starting this degree in September 07 at Leeds Met university. Let me start by saying construction will always be needed. Currently there is a massive shortage of Quantity Surveyors in the U.K and even around the world, i.e if you look for a Quantity surveying job on the internet you will get a looooooong list!!!!
I also went to Dubai 5 months ago, they pay double salary (around £60,000 a year) in Quantity surveying. Most of the building going up in Dubai have also been designed by British Architects e.g the Burj Dubai (7 star hotel). I can tell you for sure that the British education standards are accepted worldwide but i can't be sure of the future and how many jobs will be left or if Quantity surveyors as some of the tasks even today can be done by computers
Reply 14
thanks. is Leeds regarded well for QSing?
Reply 15
simpleton7890
Hi all,
i am interested in a career in Quantity Surveying. I know the jobs interests me and i have the required skills/ mindset for the job. However, one of my attractions to the job is the overseas work ability.

My question is to those in the know,,,,can you see the oppurtunity for overseas work declining within the next 10 years?? Particularly in the Middle East as it is becoming over-developed. Within the next 10 years will the demand for construction jobs also decline???

I am currently going into Upper Sixth in december and applying for uni soon. I was thinking Salford- pros/cons?. also which other good Unis??

Sory for the long thread. Any input to ANY of my questions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Thanks guys
regards

True that construction opportunities will decline in the middel east. Especially in Dubai. Because of the Fast boom of Construction in This Country, there is one third of the world's High Rise cranes in Dubai. So that just gives you a idea of how much construction is going on, but i don't think it will decline rapidly in the next 10 years. Think it will take a little longer.

For QS's there is always job's. Maybe not in the Middle east, but believe me they are needed in all countries. Like in South Africa, 2 years ago a QS who's got experience and over 30 got +- 20 000 rand. now he will get more than 30 000. Believe me that is a huge amount of increase. So That Career choice is always good!!
Reply 16
Iraq has more potential than dubai, but its a very big IF on weather it settles down or not.
Reply 17
hell, there's enough demand in the UK.
Reply 18
.AJ.
Iraq has more potential than dubai, but its a very big IF on weather it settles down or not.

Iraq is an utter **** place to work. I know a few people who worked out there - stuck on a man camp under 24hr guard for a year - and frankly the money isn't measurably better than you can get in Dubai anyway. I was recently offered 5k a month tax free to work in Iraq. "**** off!" came my earnest reply.

Iraq does not have more potential than Dubai either. One third of all the tower cranes in the world blot the skyline of Dubai and that's a fact. It's a mecca for construction folk.
Reply 19
Are we forgetting what Dubai looked like around 10-15 years ago? If someone said it had potential back then, i guarantee the reply you have given would have been the same.

I did mention the big IF!

Latest

Trending

Trending