The Student Room Group

Teaching without a degree?

I want to go into teaching but I'm having second thoughts.

Even with loans I still find university quite expensive and I feel guilty that my parents are contributing their money for me if I go uni.

I'm about to go into year 13 and I was wondering is there a route into teaching without doing a degree
You'll find it pretty hard to get a teaching job without a degree.

University is almost always worth it (even in America, where the price is much larger). You'll end up in a better position with a good job - as long as you don't waste all your time partying or lazing about (both are fine in moderation though). Make sure to buy your parents some nice presents after uni to make up for the sacrifice they've made though :smile:
Original post by TimGB
You'll find it pretty hard to get a teaching job without a degree.

University is almost always worth it (even in America, where the price is much larger). You'll end up in a better position with a good job - as long as you don't waste all your time partying or lazing about (both are fine in moderation though). Make sure to buy your parents some nice presents after uni to make up for the sacrifice they've made though :smile:

Yeah I suppose so. I've seen several apprenticeships for teaching assistance but it isn't what I want
Reply 3
Open University? Then you could work while getting a degree, which would help offset the cost.
Teaching assistants don't need a degree.

To teach a vocational course at a college you need level 3 qualifications in a vocational subject and a level 5 teaching diploma. But even they can be costly to do.

Don't fear the student loan. You don't pay anything back until you're earning over 21k.*
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Teaching assistants don't need a degree.

To teach a vocational course at a college you need level 3 qualifications in a vocational subject and a level 5 teaching diploma. But even they can be costly to do.

Don't fear the student loan. You don't pay anything back until you're earning over 21k.*

I not interested in being a teaching assistant, I actually want to be a primary school teacher
While you're not interested in being a TA permanently, it's invaluable experience that you'd get paid for.

I second the recommendation of an OU degree, I did mine with them while working part/full time before doing my MA at an 'actual' university. It's hard work, and you have to be self motivating, but doing it that way kept me out of debt (this was before the fee hikes, however).

Working part or full time as a TA and studying part or full time with the OU would give you both the degree and the teaching experience you'd need for a PGCE.

Or, if Primary is what you want, look at the BEd. Still the same length as a degree, but you're a qualified primary teacher at the end of it.
You'll need a degree for primary teaching.

Lots of unis offer degrees as distance learning. Stafford and DMU to name just a few. It's worth shopping around for a course that's right for you. You're not just limited to courses offered by the OU.

However, there are a lot of good life experiences to be had from physically going to university so don't let the debt put you off. It's inevitable for many and just part of the process. I'm not saying it's right but it would be a shame to limit yourself on this basis alone.
Reply 8
That's a pretty expensive experience though. And I don't agree with those who say the debt is OK because you won't pay back until you earn a certain amount/may not end up paying it all back because of this...the economy is eventually going to implode because of all these people who don't repay everything they've been loaned by the government. Just saying.
Reply 9
Original post by Angelil
That's a pretty expensive experience though. And I don't agree with those who say the debt is OK because you won't pay back until you earn a certain amount/may not end up paying it all back because of this...the economy is eventually going to implode because of all these people who don't repay everything they've been loaned by the government. Just saying.

It's a pretty expensive experience but if the OP want's to be a teacher then she'll likely need education at university level.
Original post by 0range
It's a pretty expensive experience but if the OP want's to be a teacher then she'll likely need education at university level.

I'm not disputing that you require a university-level education in order to teach. However, I don't blame people for not wanting to get into £40k+ debt.
That's why I suggested the Open University or similar so that the OP could continue to work while obtaining a degree.
I'd also note that studying abroad is possibly also an option (unsure where Brexit puts things, you may be able to get in just in time or it may now be a total nogo). Sweden and other EU countries offer fee free degrees. You would of course not be able to get loans for expenses though, so would need to work or find other support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending