The Student Room Group

difference between being an A grade student and A*

what is the difference between being an A grade student and an A* star student in terms of knowledge? for science gcse?
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends on subject. History it is how much you read, with maths it can be merely pure luck.
They "know" more?
The A* student is cockier
A* go the extra mile.
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The A* student is cockier
hahaha!! love it I my friend who only revised 2 months before the exam got an A* while myself I worked 2 years prior really a geek and only achieved an A in science so upset! tho predicted an A* and I no she will rub it in my face
Reply 6
In general they will understand everything on the specification to a reasonable level, and also have better exam technique.
Original post by chris2791
what is the difference between being an A grade student and an A* star student in terms of knowledge?

In terms of knowledge, there sometimes isn't. Often, it's more to do with exam technique; this is especially true with GCSE Biology
They'll know the mark schemes inside out and know how the examiners want the questions answered.
they got slightly more marks than an a grade student. it just depends on the exam, you can know everything on the specification and just have a bad day
Reply 10
The A* student covers the entire curriculum, every page of the core text book and more. Any question thrown to them they can answer, because they've learnt the whole curriculum, some gaps will get you an A. Although this is more true for A-level than GCSE. At GCSE level there probably isn't a lot between an A and A* student.
Math isn't luck. An A* student in maths is honestly just a smarter person than an A grade maths student. It's not hard to get an A* for GCSE maths if you're smart enough. For sciences in my exam board (edexcel IGCSE) it's not hard to get an A* if you just learn the content. The revision guide is your best friend, for biology I was predicted a B in year 9 and for Chemistry a B in year 10, I got 7 A*s in GCSE and got an A* in both. Don't be put down by your teacher's predictions, IMO for GCSE it's a lot less about how smart you are and more about how much work you put in. That's why I know people with high levels of intelligence and poor grades yet a friend of mine who is smart but not that smart got 10 A*s and an A.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bad day though @Ravenous food just as @lostintrnslation

A-Level is the real deal..GCSE is just memorisation. Very little ability tested. Kind of as @The Grand Design

@chris2791 - same thing happened with me. Forget it..don't worry. You worked hard yourself...you just need to remember and know that. This is life...even if you work hard, you don't get the top things. Luck plays a major factor.
Reply 13
Original post by sulaimanali
Bad day though @Ravenous food just as @lostintrnslation

A-Level is the real deal..GCSE is just memorisation. Very little ability tested. Kind of as @The Grand Design

@chris2791 - same thing happened with me. Forget it..don't worry. You worked hard yourself...you just need to remember and know that. This is life...even if you work hard, you don't get the top things. Luck plays a major factor.

Thanks man, you acherly made my me want to cry you are so lovely i hope next yeat i do better

Quick Reply

Latest