The Student Room Group

Should i get my gcse maths remarked?

I got an A in maths and was 7 marks of an A*. Im able to do the courses i wanted to do but at the end of the day an a* is an a*:smile:... will it make a difference in my future? Will i regret not doing it if i don't? Can my grade drop to a B? The grade boundaries were 140 for A and 170 for A*. I got 163. Also i dont want to spend alot of money with a risk of nt getting it back if my grade doesnt change. Will my money be given back if the mark goes up and down or is it only up?

I guess money isnt so much an issue as i want to get the grade i deserve...
Original post by Kit987
I got an A in maths and was 7 marks of an A*. Im able to do the courses i wanted to do but at the end of the day an a* is an a*:smile:... will it make a difference in my future? Will i regret not doing it if i don't? Can my grade drop to a B? The grade boundaries were 140 for A and 170 for A*. I got 163. Also i dont want to spend alot of money with a risk of nt getting it back if my grade doesnt change. Will my money be given back if the mark goes up and down or is it only up?

I don't think you should remark as unlike English, Maths is not as subjective and opinion based. If you do maths in a unique but correct way, then it makes sense to get a remark as some examiners give marks for those but others don't. 7 marks is quite a lot and you would be probably relying on gaining more from method marks as an answer is either right or wrong.

If the grade goes up you will be refunded and it is highly unlikely it will drop to a B as you are so far into the A band.

Good luck anyway!
Reply 2
Original post by Kit987

Get a remark IF AND ONLY IF you think you DEFINITELY got a mark over 170/200. If you didn't, then there's no use. Hope this helps!
Original post by Kit987

On a practical basis, there's almost nil chance you'll get an A* on remark. Maths is the worst subject to get a remark in as the answers are definitive and non-subjective. I doubt an A grade will hold you back - it's still better than 85-93% of students(depending on how high the A is).

Quick Reply

Latest