The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mightyduck999
Hey, the day isn't as bad as it seems, the numeracy can be fairly tricky and the literacy is an essay, if they sent out literacy information such as the question they ask you my advice would be to write down and revise an essay and write that for the test, the multi stage interviews are fine they will just ask you what to do in certain scenarios/ask about work experience/and ask you things from your personal statement, the group interview is easy, aslong as you contribute some good points you will be fine, received an offer about 2 weeks later and now a first year student here,:biggrin: anything you want explained in more detail feel free to PM me

Many thanks for the advice! The uni did send me some sample numeracy questions, and they seemed relatively easy (without a calculator, work out 12% of 50, round 0.654 to two decimal places, write 4% as a fraction in its simplest form… etc). For the literacy test, we have to select one NHS value and write an essay explaining how we would meet this value as a radiographer. That all seems pretty easy. It's the interviews I'm bricking it about! *takes deep breath* :colondollar:

Many thanks again! And congrats on getting a place! How're you finding it so far?
Original post by CobaltRose96
Many thanks for the advice! The uni did send me some sample numeracy questions, and they seemed relatively easy (without a calculator, work out 12% of 50, round 0.654 to two decimal places, write 4% as a fraction in its simplest form… etc). For the literacy test, we have to select one NHS value and write an essay explaining how we would meet this value as a radiographer. That all seems pretty easy. It's the interviews I'm bricking it about! *takes deep breath* :colondollar:

Many thanks again! And congrats on getting a place! How're you finding it so far?

Yeah they gave us the exact same literacy question, numeracy seems along the same lines as well, interviews aren't bad, just got to tell them what they wanna hear and know what you're talking about and you'll be fine, good thing about multiple stage interviews is that if you mess up on one you can make up for it in the others, and I'm loving it so far, just finished our modules for the semester and start placement next week till mid February, physics is quite easy to get your head around and the anatomy is pretty easy
Has anyone been to or going to (30 November) the Sheffield Hallam Selection day? What sort of tasks do I expect? Anything I should read up on before interview? Thanks!
Reply 83
Original post by Rm13
Clinical open days, work experience shadowing a radiographer and then I volunteer at a hospice :-)
I'm hoping that's enough! :-)

Yes it is easily enough. m going to CCU in April with no clinical or healthcare background and also as a mature student. I guess other universities may be different, but they are all looking for a good understanding of the role and its challenges. Its important to demonstrate this and also why you as an individual are suited to DR. They will ask you to provide examples from your work and / or personal life that match core NHS values and will help in situations within clinical practise. With only two days at my local hospital Radiography Dept I had to draw heavily on what I experienced there. Also important are your levels of personal commitment and resilience. Hope that helps.
Original post by Redblue12
All of that sounds very challenging :/
And I'm not sure yet I only want to go BCU but I've been told it's better to apply to several places in case I don't get into BCU

Original post by Redblue12
What kind of structure does your day at uni be like?

It's not too bad if you put in the work required, but I imagine all radiography courses have a similar workload and time spent at uni?

I normally have 2 lectures on a Monday, 2 lectures on a Tuesday, 3 lectures on a Wednesday and a day of practicals on Thursday from 10-4.
The lectures during the week normally change time, so sometimes I start at 9 other times I start at 11 or 12.

Yes it is definitely better to apply to more than one university if you are able to. I'd also recommend going to open days if you haven't already. Sometimes you think a uni looks good on paper/the web but you go and visit it and realise that it isn't for you.
Hi, I'm currently at City University (also applied to Cardiff Exeter St. George's and Canterbury) so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by themoocher
Hi, I'm currently at City University (also applied to Cardiff Exeter St. George's and Canterbury) so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Hi there ive applied to Exeter, city univerity, st george, leeds and hertsfordshire. Was just wandering what A levels you took and what did you achieve. Also how long did it take for the unis to reply
Original post by gman2017
Hi there ive applied to Exeter, city univerity, st george, leeds and hertsfordshire. Was just wandering what A levels you took and what did you achieve. Also how long did it take for the unis to reply

Awesome!
I took Psychology, Chemistry and Classics and I got ABB, however I received an unconditional from city.
I sent off my application mid November, I had my first interview in December and my last in february, by march I had all my offers
Original post by mightyduck999
Work experience would take priority, the work experience will be more relevant and be used to see how well you enjoy the actual field of radiography.

Thanks, I ended up cutting the section about my subjects off completely.
Reply 89
Original post by cmcurrie2
Hi there, is anyone else applying to diagnostic and/or therapeutic radiography at Glasgow caledonian for 2017?

I've applied to diagnostic radiography at Glasgow Caledonian!
Reply 90
Who is going to the selection day at Liverpool on 23/11 and/or at city on 3/12???
Reply 91

Hi, I have my selection day at city on 3rd of December. What is it like? I'm so nervous!!
Original post by mxrgsss
Hi, I have my selection day at city on 3rd of December. What is it like? I'm so nervous!!

Good luck!! It's quite a long day lol
You do some maths and English tests which are really simple, and then you have your interview, it's you and 3/4 staff members and they ask you 3 questions - I believe they're situational
Reply 93
Good luck!! It's quite a long day lol
You do some maths and English tests which are really simple, and then you have your interview, it's you and 3/4 staff members and they ask you 3 questions - I believe they're situational

Ah thank you!
Anyone applying for GCU?
Reply 95
Original post by cmcurrie2
Anyone applying for GCU?

Yeah I have!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an interview for BCU! What are there interviews like?
Original post by Radiographer1895
Got an interview for BCU! What are there interviews like?

When is your interview for? I had one last year so I can give you a few pointers, feel free to message me :smile:

Also good luck!!
Anyone applying to QMU, UoCumbria, UoLeeds, UoDerby or Sheffield Hallam??
Havent booked it yet! Thank you would be much appreciated!
Original post by Lostox
When is your interview for? I had one last year so I can give you a few pointers, feel free to message me :smile:

Also good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest