The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have, to this date, never heard anyone say anything other than you-cat. The other is just so ugly to pronounce!

But sure...all you English people can't pronounce Primark either! :p:
Reply 21
I say you-cat (it sounds better AND it follows the two-syllable trendsetters the BMAT and the GAMSAT...).

And Becca, it's PRY-mark - how do you say it?!
Reply 22
"you-kay-cat" for me.
But I find i slip out "you-cat" if I say it in a rush.
I think this is one of those unresolvable dilemmas which end up consuming your inner soul.
How did you do in your you-kay-cat, Dave? :smile:
xemmajanex
And Becca, it's PRY-mark - how do you say it?!

No, it's bloody well not! :p: It's an Irish company and Irish people pronounce it PREE-mark.
My UCAS tutor and stuff always said you kay cat. I thought that sounded kinda awkward, and always said you cat.

My UCAS teacher said that my way sounds "cooler and sexier" :|
Reply 27
Revd. Mike
My UCAS teacher said that my way sounds "cooler and sexier" :|
Lol! :smile:

miltonkeynes ... think you're right. Though what exactly is an INNER soul?! *waits for jokes about shoes*

Ah, pedantry! Perhaps we should email the UKCAT people and ask them for the official approved pronounciation.
Why do we need an American to solve it?
you-kay-cat all the way!
you-cat or ****ty you-cat now as the dreaded thing gets nearer
Look, because it's the (united kingdom) cat, that's probably the biggest reason for it being the U K CAT. If they wrote UCAT still standing for the same thing, I'd definitely say it the way some of you loonies do.
I HAVE THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.

THE SOURCE:
My trusty macbook with text to speech...

I told it to say "UKCAT".

It replied .... "You-Kay-See-Ay-Tee".

Not much help.

So then I told it to say "Ukcat" as if it was a word and not an acronym.

It said ........ "You-Kay-Kat".

Case closed! :p:
Reply 32
You-kay-cat ;yes;
Oh, and Preemark. Not Prymark.
Reply 33
The Primark one is an oddie...

I used to always say Pree-mark (we've had one where I spent my teenage years for agggeeeees). Now I seem to say pry-mark. I hate myself.
Reply 34
you-kay-cat all the way.
I always said Pry-mark! I'm horrified to find out I've been saying it wrong. :smile:
Is this the moment for a well-timed :hitit:?
Reply 37
YOU KAY CAT! UCAT is not what it is so why say it as you-cat!

"following the rules of words such as 'kick' and 'muck', refer to it as the 'you-cat'"

Those rules are for a 'c' then a 'k' following it - not the other way around so your argument is flawed and you bro wins :wink: have you ever saw a proper work spelled like tukc (for example) ?

PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMARK FTW!!! It bugs me so much hearing people saying Pry-mark! Thanks for that info becca I get to tell that to those silly fools who pronounce it wrong :biggrin:
Reply 38
Fluffy
The Primark one is an oddie...

I used to always say Pree-mark (we've had one where I spent my teenage years for agggeeeees). Now I seem to say pry-mark. I hate myself.

:eek: Tut Fluffy :waggle:

Go back to saying Preemark ;yes; :p:
Blatantly you-kay-cat. If you're gonna pronouce it you-cat, it might as well not have a K in it! And Prymark sounds a lot better than Preemark.

Latest

Trending

Trending