The Student Room Group

How to write about 2 courses in 1 personal statement?

So I've been writing my personal statement for uni and I'm applying for 2 courses (Software Engineering and Computer Forensics) but obviously I am only allowed one PS. One of the questions for the statement is why does this course interest you? Obviously I know why I'm interested in these courses but I was wondering if you have any tips on how to answer this question without mentioning the name of the course but also answer why I'm interested in both courses?
While they sound quite similar I don't think they are so you may struggle. I don't think you can write one PS for both but I'm going to quote in a colleague who knows more about this than I do @PQ
Original post by CH558
So I've been writing my personal statement for uni and I'm applying for 2 courses (Software Engineering and Computer Forensics) but obviously I am only allowed one PS. One of the questions for the statement is why does this course interest you? Obviously I know why I'm interested in these courses but I was wondering if you have any tips on how to answer this question without mentioning the name of the course but also answer why I'm interested in both courses?

Computer forensics is quite a rare course - I'd imagine that's the course that makes up the fewest of your choices?

If so I would recommend contacting the universities concerned and asking outright if they would mind you applying to the course with a Software Engineering focused PS. They're likely to say yes, or they might ask for your to submit an additional short PS (1000-2000 characters or so) explaining your interest in forensics. Either way you'll get a nice clear answer on whether you can use a SEng PS (and if so your job writing a good PS will be easier).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending