The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Outside Options

The undergraduate course I will be studying for from this October requires that I study for, and take exams in, four “outside options”, two of which I must take in my first year.

Question how does this process work? When is the deadline for selecting our outside options? And how can we make an informed decision are there ‘tasters’ for the options?

Personally I’m thinking of taking Political Theory for one of them.

Any thoughts?
It's way too early for me to make any serious predictions, but after a brief few looks throught the prospectus I like the sound of:

Economics A or Economics B (if I'm brave)
--- Economics Dept.

The internationalisation of economic growth
--- International Relations Dept. (I think)

I will hopefully be studying BSc Government.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
tomhitchings
It's way too early for me to make any serious predictions, but after a brief few looks throught the prospectus I like the sound of:

--- Economics Dept.

I was thinking of French, German or Introduction to Law
Reply 3
I've thought about my choices for outside options a bit but I haven't made up my mind definitely just yet. I'll be able to take three courses all in all, I think I'll choose three from French, Intro to Philosophy, Economics A, Intro to Political Theory and some History course. But as I said, I'm not sure about these yet and there may be recommendations that I'm not aware of.
tomhitchings

--- Economics Dept.

I just finished my first year in BSc Government, Econ B is like voluntary torture, it has a 25% failure rate and will almost certainly pull down your 1st year grade. I wouldn't advise doing it unless you are very, very good at maths and economics. Introductory psychology/ sociology/ history subjects are well worth a look.
Reply 5
Greyhound01
I just finished my first year in BSc Government, Econ B is like voluntary torture, it has a 25% failure rate and will almost certainly pull down your 1st year grade. I wouldn't advise doing it unless you are very, very good at maths and economics. Introductory psychology/ sociology/ history subjects are well worth a look.

Yes, I am tempted to study for Economics B for the mere arrogance of saying "I studied Economics at the LSE" but it does seem very scarey stuff - perhaps I should leave it for the second year, or perhaps not at all? :smile:

So, how does the "outside options" system work? When does one have to make a decision, and how can one make an informed decision?
Reply 6
tomhitchings

--- Economics Dept.

I'll be studying Philosophy but politics\government does command my interest - the latter outside option you referred to does sound stimulating.
Biggles
I'll be studying Philosophy but politics\government does command my interest - the latter outside option you referred to does sound stimulating.

Yes, well I admit that I have been making my assessments soley on the basis of the name of the course! Certainly 'The Internationalisation of Economic Growth' is about as good a name as there can be, although I imagine that I would find its content (whatever that might be!) to be just as exciting as its name.

Latest

Trending

Trending