The Student Room Group

Under investigation from TV licencing despite already having a licence

I did not bring a TV with me to Uni, but now that the law has changed about using iPlayer without a license, and owing to the need to desperately catch up on "Bake Off" and "The Apprentice," I had a license bought for me by my parents for the year. The other week, I received a letter from TV Licensing saying that I was "under formal investigation" for using iPlayer "without a licence. Judging it carries a maximum fine of £1000, this is quite a serious matter. The letter stated that I could "pay for a licence" or "tell us you don't need a licence," but mentioned nothing about what to do if you already have one, other than "ignore this and our systems will be updated soon." The closest explanation I can give to receiving this letter is that I hadn't registered my license online, but even that was such an arbitrary and non-permanent process that just looked like I was signing back in. I have no idea if I have "stopped the investigation," and until I do, which may be never, I am petrified to go anywhere near on-demand TV, which could make me miss entire series despite being able to watch them entirely legally. Have I "stopped the investigation"?
Original post by RealSirB
I did not bring a TV with me to Uni, but now that the law has changed about using iPlayer without a license, and owing to the need to desperately catch up on "Bake Off" and "The Apprentice," I had a license bought for me by my parents for the year. The other week, I received a letter from TV Licensing saying that I was "under formal investigation" for using iPlayer "without a licence. Judging it carries a maximum fine of £1000, this is quite a serious matter. The letter stated that I could "pay for a licence" or "tell us you don't need a licence," but mentioned nothing about what to do if you already have one, other than "ignore this and our systems will be updated soon." The closest explanation I can give to receiving this letter is that I hadn't registered my license online, but even that was such an arbitrary and non-permanent process that just looked like I was signing back in. I have no idea if I have "stopped the investigation," and until I do, which may be never, I am petrified to go anywhere near on-demand TV, which could make me miss entire series despite being able to watch them entirely legally. Have I "stopped the investigation"?

A TV licence 'investigation' literally means TV licensing may attempt to enter your property to make sure you are not watching TV. However they have no actual legal power to enter the property, so just don't let them in if they turn up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending