The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Chemistry 2017 Applicants Thread!!!!!!

Hello everyone,
i haven't seen a thread like this posted before therefore i shall create one. I was wondering who is applying to imperial college for chemistry starting in 2017.
If you could post the required info below for other TSR Users

-GCSE Grades,
-AS Grades,
-A Level Predictions,
-Extra-curricular Activities,

Thanks You All and Good Luck!

Mine are

- 4 A, 3 B, 4 c
- ABB
-A*AA
- DofE, voluteering, auction and debating clubs to name a few

(btw, i got accepted for an interview a few days ago)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! An international student from Singapore here. I got an interview invitation approximately a few days or maybe a week after i submitted my UCAS application -- it was for Oxford's early application.

And I just completed my interview! It wasn't that hard at the beginning (it was simple A level chem, stuff we ought to know). He started off the interview with the usual "why imperial why not Harvard or MIT", then jumped straight right into ideal gases. But I feel the prof wanted to challenge me so he made me derive the van der waals equation for gases. I stumbled ALOT there. Oh dear.

The interview was super short? Around 12 mins. Idk what this means....

I'm not sure about the grades though, because it's obviously different from the exams you guys sit for.

Just wondering what's the probability of imperial accepting you if you got an interview haha...
(edited 7 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Had my interview today as well found mine pretty hard, talked mainly about things extending from my personal statement !
Reply 3
Original post by V2323
Had my interview today as well found mine pretty hard, talked mainly about things extending from my personal statement !

Mine barely talked about my personal statement :frown:

The prof was giving me a super difficult time LOL.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
To people who have offers- mine came through today and they've asked for A*A*A (!!) Just wondering if any other applicants got this too? (Hoping it doesn't mean they didn't actually like me that much ha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by amyl.11
To people who have offers- mine came through today and they've asked for A*A*A (!!) Just wondering if any other applicants got this too? (Hoping it doesn't mean they didn't actually like me that much ha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm predicted AAA and they''ve offered me A*A*A as well - awesome but UNACHIEVABLE ahahahahah
Reply 6
Original post by V2323
Hey! I'm predicted AAA and they''ve offered me A*A*A as well - awesome but UNACHIEVABLE ahahahahah

Damn that's so mean of them!! Did they specify which subjects they wanted the grades in too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by amyl.11
Damn that's so mean of them!! Did they specify which subjects they wanted the grades in too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, CHEM + MATHS
Reply 8
Original post by V2323
Yep, CHEM + MATHS

Aw man, for me they want an a* in chem and then the other a* in maths or physics...
Do you know if they've asked for higher grades for most applicants? I always found it a bit strange on their website that they said they asked for a*aa for a levels but then 776 higher level IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I've just been asked to an interview at Imperial, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as t what its going to be like?

My predictions are AAA, Maths, Chemistry and Economics
Reply 10
Original post by Buzzyebeena
Hi,
I've just been asked to an interview at Imperial, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as t what its going to be like?

My predictions are AAA, Maths, Chemistry and Economics

My interviewers were really friendly, but the questions definitely are very testing. It lasted like 25 minutes and everyone had two academics interviewing them:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amyl.11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey congrats- did u have an interview tho or was it straight offer without interview?
Reply 12
Original post by TaraStilton
Hey congrats- did u have an interview tho or was it straight offer without interview?

thanks haha, and it was with interview
Reply 13
I'm starting to get worried, I've applied for biochem, my AS results are AAA and my predicted grades are AAA, I haven't heard anything back from them.
Anyone know whether it is completely random with what interviewer you have or is it tailored to what you've mentioned on your ps?
Reply 15
I've received the same offer ahhaha so hard!I think it is because they have lots of good applicants (I hope 🙈)What subjects did they ask you?
Original post by amyl.11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by amyl.11

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Elly1998
I've received the same offer ahhaha so hard!I think it is because they have lots of good applicants (I hope 🙈)What subjects did they ask you?

Aahaha ikr! A* chemistry and the A*A in maths/physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
-GCSE Grades: 9A* 2A
-AS Grades: 4A
-A Level Predictions: 3A*

My interview is next wednesday, and I'm really really scared because I've heard from a friend who got interviewed that they were rejected because they weren't 'competitive enough'. I prefer interviews that don't really rely on personal statement, but I have a hard time thinking outside of the box when it comes to questions I have no idea about!

Last year's offers also mainly consisted of A*A*A which sounds terrifying, but I assume it's because Imperial don't want to be used as insurance choices. People with offers, how long after the interview did you receive your offers?
Reply 18
Original post by haes

My interview is next wednesday, and I'm really really scared because I've heard from a friend who got interviewed that they were rejected because they weren't 'competitive enough'. I prefer interviews that don't really rely on personal statement, but I have a hard time thinking outside of the box when it comes to questions I have no idea about!

Last year's offers also mainly consisted of A*A*A which sounds terrifying, but I assume it's because Imperial don't want to be used as insurance choices. People with offers, how long after the interview did you receive your offers?

I got an email from imperial saying they intended to give me an offer the tuesday after my interview and then two days later i received the official ucas offer. Don't be too nervous for the interview! at least for me the two academics were really friendly and they won't just let you stand there in silence if you're stuck- they'll give you hints if you need them:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by haes

I have the exact same GCSE results, AS results and A level predictions as you. Had my interview last Wednesday. It wasn't too bad, they treated it like a tutorial and just taught me some things I didn't know to do with drugs and receptors. Got an email yesterday to say they will be giving me an offer. Any questions then feel free to ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending