The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 1
USC as in University of Southern California or South Carolina? Two different schools.

I think in terns of prestige, Imperial will win hands down. But in terms of technology, equipment, and campus life, U.S. California will be better.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I mean University of Southern California~

Then how about research quality?
Reply 3
glass
I mean University of Southern California~

Then how about research quality?

Imperial has the best research facilities and gained 5* in 2001 research assesment by the british education department (dont know their exact name) this year it is at 3 overall and number 1 point down oxford (at no. 2) in the league table

dont know much about USC but i tell u that the 'style' of education in US and UK is completely different (where u from?)
Reply 4
I am from Hong Kong~
Can you explain more about on the differences?
Reply 5
glass
I am from Hong Kong~

i have a friend from Hong Kong...if ur from hong kong then i will certainly advise u to come to UK (the hong style of study is quite similar to here) so it will better suit u..and u cant a better social/night life than london!! imperial is in th eheart of london im just 10 mins away from imperial right now!!

Imperial will win against USC in terms of social/night life (benefits of living in london) and it has best tutors and turotial teaching system which allows u to have one-to-one session with ur tutor on ur subject about anything u want... simply it is the best uni in UK for computing and it widely recognised all over the world (as i myself have never heard of USC but i did hear of Imperial when i was back in my country) and imperial degree is very employable u dont just learn the core subject skills but also other transeferable skills which can be applied in business, employment, and most importantly research inur chosen subject...

one down point is money ad living in london is expensive on top of the fee (about £9000) u will be paying to imperial (if it doesnt matter to u then definitely come to imperial) hope this helps
Reply 6
glass
I am from Hong Kong~

which one is it?

California Institute Technology?
University of Calfornia - Berkley?
University of Calfornia - San Francisco?
University of Calfornia - San Diego?
University of Calfornia - Los Angeles?
University of Calfornia - Santa Barbara?
University of Calfornia - Davis?
University of Calfornia - Irvine?
University of Calfornia - Riverside?
University of Calfornia - Santa Cruz?
Reply 7
USC is University of Southern California, which is not in UC system.
It is a private university in Los Angeles.
Reply 8
glass
USC is University of Southern California, which is not in UC system.
It is a private university in Los Angeles.

bruv im telling u come to imperial because u will be taught by the best tutors in there field and u will love the atmosphere of london and on top imperial is a Prestigious uni...
Reply 9
As a person who applied to both UK and US and currently still hold an offer to a uni in both, I can tell you that I am somewhat biased towards the US.

I think that in general, the top 20 US universities do better in research than the top 20 universities in the UK. This is mostly due to the fact that there is much more funding for research in the US than the UK, and the US is able to attract a higher calibre of graduate students because they are able to give more financial aid to students than the UK.

However, comparing USC to Imperial is quite hard. In this situation, I would say that an Imperial degree is much more prestigious than a USC degree, but in terms of teaching/learning it is quite hard to say which is better.

In terms of social life, Imperial has all the city life you want. USC, on the other hand, boasts a big beautiful campus which Imperial will never be able to offer. You could also go to the beach while at USC, for example whereas that would be hard to do in London. Also, LA is a pretty nice city on its own, and will probably provide you with all the stuff you need for 4 years.

The US and the UK are in different worlds. You yourself need to decide what you want academically, socially, and what is best for your future.

Latest

Trending

Trending