The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
peta2couk
What area do you live in? If around London msg me because I can suggest some places

Can u suggest me some?...im in east london, want to be a doctor...
Reply 781
I started at a community farm when I was 13 :yep:
Reply 782
What part of Herts? I know of a rabbit rescue in Royston that always seem to be in need of volunteers and age probably wouldn't matter too much. They only have rabbits, though...
I'm from Herts (though currently at uni in Nottingham) so I know of a few places but I don't know about age restrictions or anything on most of them because I only started properly getting work exp at about 16.
when i was 14 i volunteered at a city farm and spent 2 weeks at a vets. and i volunteered at stables when i was 10. there are places that'll take you, you just need to look hard enough.
You mention about other extra curricular/non animal stuff...

Basically vet schools want well rounded people, so good academic record, good work exp and other stuff as well. Make sure you put enough effort into school/college that you will tick the boxes on that front. With regards to other things, there is no point *just* doing something for your uni applicaton, but do things that you would enjoy anyway. Duke of Edinburgh award is always a good one (and can be started at 14), scouts/guides/cadets, non animal voluntary work, music/instruments/acting, playing sport for teams etc etc. All stuff which may seem very non-vetty, but develops important skills - teamwork, leadership, confidence, organisation etc.
I'm lambing for the first time tomorrow :smile: Excited/nervous!
Would the following be sensible to wear?
Legging, trackies, vest top, t shirt, thin fleece, hoodie, full waterproofs, socks, wellies? I'm not sure if its indoor or outdoor lambing - the farmer is a man of few words on the phone :p: - so I really don't want to be cold.
Any last minute tips for me?
:smile:
Reply 786
ClaireW2708
Legging, trackies, vest top, t shirt, thin fleece, hoodie, full waterproofs, socks, wellies? I'm not sure if its indoor or outdoor lambing - the farmer is a man of few words on the phone :p: - so I really don't want to be cold.

I've been told that some form of waterproof is essential!!! Even if it gets hot keep them on as it is apparently a very wet job:rolleyes:
ClaireW2708

Some people wear overalls/boiler suits for farm work - personally I prefer waterproofs for lambing.

Wear layers rather than one or two thick things. I've been lambing for the last 5 weeks and have reduced my number of layers now from what I was wearing beginning of Feb! Wearing thickish trousers and waterproof trousers over the top. Long sleeve t shirt, fleece gilet and fleece top. Then waterproof coat if I need it. Try and avoid wearing too many long sleeve tops, they can get in the way when lambing!

Wellies or boots are fine - whatever you prefer :smile:
ok so i have a choice then - i'm going lambing in a couple of weeks, and was intending to wear my overalls that i've always worn on farms...

i do however have a pair of waterproof trousers... so would i be better off wearing them, and then fleece/coat, or overalls?
ILurfSmurf
ok so i have a choice then - i'm going lambing in a couple of weeks, and was intending to wear my overalls that i've always worn on farms...

i do however have a pair of waterproof trousers... so would i be better off wearing them, and then fleece/coat, or overalls?

Its up to you really :smile: Some people do wear overalls for lambing, personally though I prefer waterproof trousers. Just cos when you are kneeling down lambing a ewe there tends to be a lot of liquid/gunge/slime whatever you want to call it! So even with overalls on it will tend to soak through. But like I say some people do wear them, so it can't be that bad :confused: dunno, I just prefer waterproof trousers.
Reply 790
I have already got tons of work experience set up for the very near future. Have looked through the entire yellow pages but before I can drive I cant do anything till next year really except what I have already.
The only other thing I want for the very near future is working on a farm but i cant find many animal farms in the area, as they are all just crops. I am willing to travel, however, will need somewhere to stay.
Reply 791
Sorry I live near Bucks and would love some vetty work experience doing any thing..
Reply 792
laul
I have already got tons of work experience set up for the very near future. Have looked through the entire yellow pages but before I can drive I cant do anything till next year really except what I have already.
The only other thing I want for the very near future is working on a farm but i cant find many animal farms in the area, as they are all just crops. I am willing to travel, however, will need somewhere to stay.

Hiya, what work experience are you doing? The entire yellow pages!? that sounds like a bit of a mission!
Can you book a hotel, or set up a tent in the farmers field lol
Wheres bucks!? lol sorry I am useless at geography lol, I understand the need to drive, but I would really consider getting it started and doing some bus/train journeys. If you have to pay £20 a day or pay £100's to stay in a hotel near work exp for a week include all of this in your personal statement as it just shows how dedicated you really are! :smile: :smile::smile:
Reply 793
during the summer holidays have so far got 4 out of 6 of them doing work experience in small or mixed animal vets but that is all i can seem to find. Nothing with large animals I am waiting to here back from zoo's about work experience over the next couple of years and all of the farms in the area are either just crops or uninterested but i am trying to set some up in the easter holidays wor somewhere and have but adverts in the farm shop saying that i will help out weekends and things with the lambing but have hurd no reply. I would be willing to travel to work on a farm i am acctually really up for it however my mother really isn't. But i can probobaly get round that if i was to get something set up.

Bucks is buckinghamshire
Reply 794
laul
during the summer holidays have so far got 4 out of 6 of them doing work experience in small or mixed animal vets but that is all i can seem to find. Nothing with large animals I am waiting to here back from zoo's about work experience over the next couple of years and all of the farms in the area are either just crops or uninterested but i am trying to set some up in the easter holidays wor somewhere and have but adverts in the farm shop saying that i will help out weekends and things with the lambing but have hurd no reply. I would be willing to travel to work on a farm i am acctually really up for it however my mother really isn't. But i can probobaly get round that if i was to get something set up.

Bucks is buckinghamshire

Well it definatly sounds like your going the right way, just keep perservering and you will definatly find somewhere, if you manage to find a large animal vet practice they could give you some advice, or even all of the crop farmers could advice you on someone who would take you, word of mouth is really useful so just keep searching and listening, I know people down here that I could gie you details for but I am in somerset so not much use to you really lol sorry. x
laul

Bucks is buckinghamshire

A really good way to get farm work experience is to go to a large animal vet. It is amazing how many farms there are in the area that you never even noticed before! A good way of finding vets is to go on the rvcs website and go on find a vet. If you type in your postcode it will come up with a list of vets in your area and it tells what sort of animals they treat! This is how I found my farm vet! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 796
Tori687
Well it definatly sounds like your going the right way, just keep perservering and you will definatly find somewhere, if you manage to find a large animal vet practice they could give you some advice, or even all of the crop farmers could advice you on someone who would take you, word of mouth is really useful so just keep searching and listening, I know people down here that I could gie you details for but I am in somerset so not much use to you really lol sorry. x

Thanks..
I would be interested in work experience in somerset if there would be some kind of accomadation avalible or even somewhere to stay nere by. Things like farming because i am finding that hard..

But i went to the vets today with my little dog and was talking to my vet who is going to ask her friends husband who owns like 2000 ewes if i can help with lambing..
Reply 797
laul
Thanks..
I would be interested in work experience in somerset if there would be some kind of accomadation avalible or even somewhere to stay nere by. Things like farming because i am finding that hard..

But i went to the vets today with my little dog and was talking to my vet who is going to ask her friends husband who owns like 2000 ewes if i can help with lambing..

Ah well that would be awesome if she can sort that for you! is your dog okay?
Yeah well thats awesome i will have a think about which farms would have accomodation and get back to you, and get you there addresses or something :smile: xx
Reply 798
Tori687
Ah well that would be awesome if she can sort that for you! is your dog okay?
Yeah well thats awesome i will have a think about which farms would have accomodation and get back to you, and get you there addresses or something :smile: xx

That would be absolutly great and my dog, Buddy, is fine just boosters and a check up..
Anybody been to the VLA and can tell me what sort of things to expect? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending