The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

History degree???

I am thinking of applying for the History programme at Durham University. I like all of my subjects, but particularly enjoy writing argumentative essays.

My only concern is that because it is an Arts degree, I may end up unemployed after it.

Does the fact that Durham has a reasonable reputation mitigate the inferiority of my choice of degree subject? Will I still be able to get a good job after studying this course?

My other options include Warwick and Leeds, but Durham is my first choice.

Would a History degree from Durham put me in good stead for future employment prospects? Or would I be better off studying something like Maths or Geography at a slightly less pressured institution (eg. Leicester), where I may be able to do more things outside of academia?

Thank you for any advice.

:smile:
Step back for a second and think about the future. What do you want to do with your life? What are your goals? Is your ultimate aim to make loads of money, or to help others, or change the world, or develop new knowledges? Then, how are you going to achieve those goals?

When you think of that, then think of how you're going to get there. You'll get X degree, for instance, so you gain the skills needed for Y type of job, career or industry. Bear in mind, however, that your degree is not the only thing that counts here - you have to get involved in different activities, hold positions of responsibility, volunteer, develop your skills in ways that lie outside academia. Some universities have wider opportunities for this than others; Durham, with its collegiate system and huge number of student societies, has plenty.

Your subject will give you a number of both subject-specific and transferrable skills, but that's not the only way you can demonstrate what employers want, if, indeed, that is what you want to pursue in life.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest