The Student Room Group

Best colleges for sport?

Hi
I'm very passionate about sport, esp. hockey and squash. Which are the best colleges for sport at Oxford, i.e. best facilities, best sporty atmosphere etc.?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I have been told St Peter's are sporty. But I'm guessing all colleges will have SOME sports facilities anyway...
Teddy Hall is probably the sportiest college in Oxford. I'm not particularly proud of the fact, not being remotely sporty myself. We don't have much in the way of facilities (although we share some of Queens') but our various teams certainly make up for it in enthusiasm.
We're very good at women's rugby, and rowing. I'm not so sure about the sports you mentioned, like squash - but I think Georgecrabbe prob has it about right, in that some colleges are just more inclined towards sport, despite what their facilities are like.
If you've got any colleges in mind, check out their alternative prospectus', these might give you a good idea of how enthusiastic the students are, and whether their facilities are actually any good. If the college has one, you can usually find it by googling the college name + alternative prospectus.
I think Keble is very sporty - though I got the impression they're very much a RUGBY college. They do have a very good gym though, so I hear.

And the bar... oh, the bar...
Reply 5
Catz has a gym on site with two squash courts. I think there's a hockey pitch on the same site as the football pitches. We always seem to come second in everything which i guess shows that we're consistently good. You can do whatever sport you want here as there's always someone else who wants to do it.
Reply 6
Any idea which ones have a strong interest in football?
Reply 7
Flying-Wombat
Hi
I'm very passionate about sport, esp. hockey and squash. Which are the best colleges for sport at Oxford, i.e. best facilities, best sporty atmosphere etc.?

Thanks

If you're passionate enough about hockey for this to make a difference, then Jesus has the only grass hockey pitch (I think in the entire uni, since Iffley has astro) - although we also rent it to Lincoln.

As people have said Teddy Hall has a very sporty atmosphere - if you want to row, then I'd recommend Pembroke. As far as squash, that's likely to be university based - although some colleges may specifically hire courts (e.g. Jesus hires a couple of badminton courts on a Monday)
BornUnderPunches
I think Keble is very sporty - though I got the impression they're very much a RUGBY college. They do have a very good gym though, so I hear.

And the bar... oh, the bar...

yeah it's really only rugby to be honest, the gyms not bad, but then I havent seen other colleges to compare it to. Facilities are ok, couple of courts etc, but if you're talking high level uni level stuff it's all done outside of college anyway.
Wadham has a squash court in college, and the mixed hockey team won cuppers this year...
Reply 10
Isn't Oriel very good at rowing?
Reply 11
Echolife
Any idea which ones have a strong interest in football?

check out the college's section of the university football club website:

www.ouafc.com

each college has a brief history there and there's a roll of honour going back 30 years or so...
for football, worcester are probably best.

for rugby, theres a few. the best teams last year were keble and hughs, but obviously teddy hall are traditionally strong.

oriel are THE rowing college.

but i wouldnt overthink it. most colleges have plenty of sporting opportunities, though if you want to play football or rugby and are quite serious about it, definitely go to one of the larger/more traditionally sporty colleges, because some teams (eg merton/mansfield football) are complete and utter jokers who it would suck to play for.
Reply 13
heliotrope
oriel are THE rowing college.

If you're a man.... Teddy Hall definitely have the women's rowing covered :wink:
Reply 14
davey_boy
check out the college's section of the university football club website:

www.ouafc.com

each college has a brief history there and there's a roll of honour going back 30 years or so...

That web site link is excellent, thanks :biggrin:
Brasenose is supposedly one of the (if not THE) sportiest colleges. it has 3 football teams and 2 cricket teams and apparently the oldest boat club in oxford
chocolatebear
Brasenose .... apparently the oldest boat club in oxford

Yup, you should see the Zimmer frames piled up outside the boathouse.

DtS
As far as Squash goes, take a look at OUSRC for info. Most colleges seem to have 2/3 men's teams, and from the looks of it, St Johns is the top. Not so many teams for women, but if you take a look at the leagues you can see which colleges do have them. You also obviously have the Blues teams and Squirrels/Ferrets on a uni level. As for courts, most seem to have them, with some on site. Magdalen's courts are so nice I'm tempted to apply there just for them :p:
chocolatebear
Brasenose is supposedly one of the (if not THE) sportiest colleges. it has 3 football teams and 2 cricket teams and apparently the oldest boat club in oxford

having three football teams isnt unusual. most decent sized colleges do.
You also obviously have the Blues teams and Squirrels/Ferrets on a uni level.

Is the Squirrel/Ferret thing one of your strange traditions? Are we talking about racing these agile little creatures? If so, I may consider applying. Who has the best squirrels and ferrets?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending