The Student Room Group

Quick help - where can I go.

I have just started lower 6th and have wednesday afternoon to do work experience. So far I have done
1 week small animal vets
1 week dairy
1 week sheep farm
2 weeks farm vets (leahurst)
1 week summer sheep farm
4 years saturday morning and holiday on private stable yard
starting one evening a week at small animal practice for 6 months
I also have booked:
1 week lambing
1 week kennels/cattery
1 week equine vets
Any one see where I need to get more experience or suggest any places that would look good. I really want to go to Liverpool uni. Anyone know any good placements on wirral to go to.
Reply 1
i think youve probably got enough work experience there, and should probably dedicate your free time to concentrate on your studying or take up a sport or hobbie (which are equally as important, if not more so that work experience)

but if your looking for something different and are desperate to fill your wednessday afternoons, why not try something with exotics or zoo animals, or lab animals.
that is more then enough work experience and the variety willl work in your favour when applying. ensure you also have extra curricular activities and hobbies as they are looking for a well round person with heaps of personnality. well done on obtaining such a substantial amout of varying work experience. :smile:
Reply 3
wow you have masses!
i wish i was in the same position as you.
all i have is:
2 weeks sa vets
1 week dog grooming
6months city farm
2/3 residential lambing course
2 year stables
1 week diff stables.

i know what i have to get now, the only trouble is fitting it all in!
Reply 4
Yea just stick to those saturday mornings and weekday evening, you have more than enough. Just make sure you have some hobbies and out of school achievments, its incredibly important that you let the know you will be able to let your hair down and enjoy yourself too. Bristol were very keen to make sure that I knew how to let my hair down, and liverpool did ask about work/downtime management. It also reflects well on your academic achievments, I would go as far as to suggest someone with ABB who has a list of sporting achievments and DofE would be equal or better chances than someone with AAA, perhaps even ABB.
Reply 5
cos that shows that they didnt just spend all their time studying to get those grades, and theyll bring more to the uni
Reply 6
You've got PLENTY.
Remember, the unis will be looking for a "well rounded" student, maybe take up a sport or do some extra curricular music or something.
What I did for a bit of different "work exp" of sorts was to help in some of my free time with yr8 and yr10 Physics at school. So I went round the class, answered questions, helped set up practicals etc.
Reply 7
That's loads already, but you could go to an abbatoir for a couple of days, I found that useful.
Reply 8
yeh doing peer spport is great. i taught physics and chemistry classes in my free periods and they mentioned it in my interview. . .other school clubs are also good i.e. helping with charity days (or setting up charity days), DoE, helping run a youthclub, rainbows/brownies leader, redcross membership, do a triathalon/marathon for charity etc.
Reply 9
Yeah, ditto. I helped run a science club for the lower years, + I do heaps of extra curricular music, helped to try to get our school rugby club off the ground etc, helping at a local primary school with a science fair etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending