Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by undergradstudent
OK, I think I get what you mean.
A couple of my friends shared rooms, and usually if you have your boy/girlfriend coming to visit you can ask your roommate to sleep on a friend's floor for a couple of days.

If it's other friends or family, then the rooms in most colleges (and in halls at other unis) aren't big enough for lots of people to stay in but you can usually fit a couple on the floor. So you could ask your roommate if they wouldn't mind a couple of your friends staying with you for a couple of days, or again you could ask your roommate if they could stay in a friend's room. Some colleges provide camp beds for this purpose apparently! You probably wouldn't be in your room that much anyway as you'd be showing your friends the city during the day, maybe going out at night, etc so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also you can usually time your friends visiting with when your roommate visits their own friends at other unis or goes home for the weekend. :smile:

Lol spot on ! I was talking about my gf visiting etc.. yea well asking someone to leave their room sounds already like a hassle hehe :smile: What college are u in??

I just checked the map and St Cuthberts is more distanced from the psychology dep than Jo Butler is! My dream of rolling out of bed straight to lectures or whatever just fell into pieces haha :smile:)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3801
Hi,
I have a place at Hatfield to do CompScience. I just realized that the department is small walk away by some of the other colleges. Will there be other people at my college doing the same subject or engineering, or is it normally more science people at the colleges closer to the department. It would kind of suck to walk alone everyday :smile:

Also, how much is the workload (i know this depends on the subject), but how much time will I have for sports and social stuff? What's like a normal day?

thank you, i am international so it's more difficult to know what it is like because university is a little different in the uk compared to my country :smile:
Reply 3802
Aaaah I'll try to answer all the new questions.

Original post by Hackett
Hi all, I hold an offer for Business Finance...I was just wondering, if any could shed any light on the internantional study, like what are the partern universities, i.e in Hong Kong etc..

Ask your department, it differs massively per course which countries you can go to, or whether you can go abroad at all.
E.g. for my course I was only allowed to go to Canada which imo is a silly choice when you study Classical Archaeology. Other people in my department on different courses have been to study in e.g. Bologna, Italy, though, which makes much more sense.
Generally for subjects like economics and finance there are a lot of good options. Ask them!

Original post by law-bug
Kinda random but how is the 3G Iphone internet connection in Durham?

No idea; probably fine.

Original post by maxcartwright
Can anyone tell me anything about st aidens?

First thing that comes to mind: it's up on a hill. The awesome view makes up for that though. It is a very large, and quite modern College. It is close to the Science Site, about 20 mins from town center, and it is basically next to the Oriental Museum. They have a toastie bar : )

Original post by vgj
Hi,
I have a place at Hatfield to do CompScience. I just realized that the department is small walk away by some of the other colleges. Will there be other people at my college doing the same subject or engineering, or is it normally more science people at the colleges closer to the department. It would kind of suck to walk alone everyday :smile:

Also, how much is the workload (i know this depends on the subject), but how much time will I have for sports and social stuff? What's like a normal day?

thank you, i am international so it's more difficult to know what it is like because university is a little different in the uk compared to my country :smile:

There are usually other people who do your course in your College. My course is very small so there was only 1 student doing the same, but then there were a couple of other students from different courses with the same modules. Anyway there is always someone to walk with, as a whole bunch of people will be heading up to the Science Site regardless of course every morning! And even if not: it's a 15 minute walk, you'll live haha.

Generally you make the workload as much as you want; work hard, do well. For sciences I'd say students automatically have a more heavy work load due to the larger amount of lectures and set homework. Expect to really think about studying for at least 8 hours a day - and then go out in the evening : ) Everyone I know does at least 1 sport on top of that, and 1 or 2 societies. In my opinion that's plenty of free time - and it's also why it's better than Oxbridge =P

I am not a science student, but my week looks like this (so just insert more lectures for scientists):
Monday:
8 AM: try to get up and do my reading
11-12: lecture
12-4 PM: work on homework // deal with any society or student rep etc. e-mails
4-6 PM: lecture
Evening: either work on essay or pass out

Tuesday:
8 AM: try to get up to work on that essay
---> continue to do this till midnight, as I have no lectures on Tuesdays

Wednesday:
7 AM: try to get up for my 9 AM lecture // cry over being an arts students with a 9 AM lecture
9-10AM: lecture
10-11 AM: help out at the Classics library in my free hour
11-12: lecture
In the afternoon I will either go home and attempt some reading / essay writing, or usually this is when staff meetings and sports etc. take place
Evening: might actually go find some friends and be social, e.g. society barcrawl

Thursday:
7 AM: oh no not another 9 AM lecture...
9-11 AM: lecture
11-4 PM: bloody 5 hour gap - go do homework at a friends' place, go to the library...
4-6PM: lecture
8-10PM: Hapkido training // or pass out at home

Friday:
Another day off!
8 AM: try to get up to work on dissertation
[note current time: 9:50 AM...]
1 PM: have a massive cup of coffee and do some work (paid work, that is)
4 PM: Martial Arts training
Evening: time to go out : )

Weekend:
Stop trying to get up at 8 AM.
Do some (paid) work.
Work on assignments
Saturday 1 PM: meet friends to play football
Evening: potentially go out some more : )
Reply 3803
What's the workload/difficulty of a Geography degree? Bsc
Original post by Zenobia

First thing that comes to mind: it's up on a hill. The awesome view makes up for that though. It is a very large, and quite modern College. It is close to the Science Site, about 20 mins from town center, and it is basically next to the Oriental Museum. They have a toastie bar : )

gaaaaah kind of the opposite of what I wanted:frown: anyway thanks for the help
Reply 3805
Original post by Zenobia

[QUOTE="Zenobia;35954394"]Aaaah I'll try to answer all the new questions.

thanks this was helpful :smile:
Reply 3806
gaaaaah kind of the opposite of what I wanted:frown: anyway thanks for the help

That's what I thought when I got reallocated to Aidan's but I love it here now. :smile:
Are there any specific things worrying you about it?
Reply 3807
Hiya, I'm an international student and I've read a lot about Durham having an abundance of public school kids who sometimes look down on state school kids. Is it really that big of a deal? Will that mean as a middle-class international student, I'll have trouble fitting in?

I actually find it kind of amusing that there's been so much discussion about this, haha. In my group of friends, there's a girl who drives a Porche that her parents bought her and another one who drives a 1970's beater that she worked hard to pay for herself. Even though there's obvious differences in wealth, and based on income one would be upper-class and the other lower-class, neither of them act or are treated differently.
Original post by JPDub
Hiya, I'm an international student and I've read a lot about Durham having an abundance of public school kids who sometimes look down on state school kids. Is it really that big of a deal? Will that mean as a middle-class international student, I'll have trouble fitting in?

Nope. There are a lot of private school students, but not many of them look down on others (although you'll always get a few!). You won't have a problem fitting in :smile:
Original post by sanksta
That's what I thought when I got reallocated to Aidan's but I love it here now. :smile:
Are there any specific things worrying you about it?

Not reall y worrying, just liked the traditional atmosphere of univ. Ive heard it quite far from the campus? Although im glad I got catered, and there are some formal dinners?
Not reall y worrying, just liked the traditional atmosphere of univ. Ive heard it quite far from the campus? Although im glad I got catered, and there are some formal dinners?

'Quite far' in Durham terms is about twenty minutes' walk - this place really warps your sense of distance. Also, there isn't really a campus - there's the science site, which is on the Hill (ten minutes from the city centre, about five from most of the Hill colleges), and there are other colleges and departments in the centre. All the colleges have formal dinners, but I don't know how often Aidan's does or how formal they are.
Hi, is anyone here doing IR in Birmingham, Exeter or Loughborough unis? I would love to know how do you find your courses. Anyone? Thanks in advance!
Original post by FrozenFlower
Hi, is anyone here doing IR in Birmingham, Exeter or Loughborough unis? I would love to know how do you find your courses. Anyone? Thanks in advance!

This is the Durham forum - try asking in the relevant university or subject forums :smile:
Reply 3813
Original post by JPDub

I actually find it kind of amusing that there's been so much discussion about this, haha. In my group of friends, there's a girl who drives a Porche that her parents bought her and another one who drives a 1970's beater that she worked hard to pay for herself. Even though there's obvious differences in wealth, and based on income one would be upper-class and the other lower-class, neither of them act or are treated differently.

I find the class difference here astonishing (as an international student) and I do find it true that there's a lot of posh kids walking around here. However, there's plenty of 'normal' students and so many absolutely awesome people - Durham is great; I never had any trouble fitting and I would definitely choose it again. There are so many different kinds of people, especially the international atmosphere is really great. And I find that everyone is very tolerant: rich or poor, gay or straight, it is much much nicer than my high school at least!
Reply 3814
I thought they got rid if that portal thing? Thanks for the reply :smile:

I have just checked, you are right, they've got rid of it. Sorry for the redundant comment. I was just guessing they would do it the same as last year. In that case, you will just have to wait for a letter. I think I got mine in January sometime last year, if I remember correctly. But I'm not too sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3815
To anyone studying Biology at Durham. How much flexibility of choosing modules in the first year or is it pretty rigid? Do you get the chance to do some Maths is you want to?
Original post by smcc
To anyone studying Biology at Durham. How much flexibility of choosing modules in the first year or is it pretty rigid? Do you get the chance to do some Maths is you want to?

You can see the module choices on the Biology department website, just go to the university website and use the course search to find the Biology website address.

If you have A2 Chemistry, you'll have space to take 2 maths modules (or one double module) in your first year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by smcc

They're changing the structure for next year but you have 4 compulsary biology modules and there's another that's compulsary if you don't have A-Level chem. This means you'll have 1 or 2 free modules in which you may be able to do some maths depending on clashes; I remember in my first year maths clashed with one of the modules (which annoyed me as I wanted to do a bit) but in the year above it didn't. Basically, don't expect to be able to do maths if you come here...
Reply 3818
Ohh right thanks for that :smile:

I have A Level chem though, so hopefully I'll be able to. I take it there are some mathematical modelling type modules in years 3 (maybe 2)?
Original post by smcc
Ohh right thanks for that :smile:

I have A Level chem though, so hopefully I'll be able to. I take it there are some mathematical modelling type modules in years 3 (maybe 2)?

Do you mean maths department modules or biology department modules? There's a "Mathematical biology" 3rd year module which is a maths department module, but if you want to take level 3 (3rd year) maths modules, you'll usually need to have taken specific 2nd year modules, and if not at least specific 1st year modules.

Quick Reply

Latest