The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Amlea
Where can i go abut researching this for journalism or an arts based subject?

Well, for most arts-based subjects, one of the obvious places to start with would probably be the AHRC, but I'm not entirely sure whether it covers journalism degrees as well. Does 'Visual arts and media' include journalism?:dontknow:
AHRC funding tends to be very competitive, though, so it might be better to check whether the universities you're applying to offer scholarships for postgraduate degrees in journalism as well.
Reply 2
hobnob
Well, for most arts-based subjects, one of the obvious places to start with would probably be the AHRC, but I'm not entirely sure whether it covers journalism degrees as well. Does 'Visual arts and media' include journalism?:dontknow:
AHRC funding tends to be very competitive, though, so it might be better to check whether the universities you're applying to offer scholarships for postgraduate degrees in journalism as well.

Logically, the AHRC must cover journalism.
Reply 3
These are the 8 subject panels (this is taken off the latest edition of the funding guide):

The eight subject panels
Panel 1: Classics, Ancient History and Archaeology
Panel 2: Visual Arts and Media: practice, history, theory
Panel 3: English Language and Literature
Panel 4: Medieval and Modern History
Panel 5: Modern Languages and Linguistics
Panel 6: Librarianship, Information and Museum Studies
Panel 7: Music and Performing Arts
Panel 8: Philosophy, Religious Studies and Law

And in answer to Hobnob's query:

Panel 2: Visual Arts and Media: practice, history, theory
125 This Panel covers studies relating to contemporary practice, history or theory in art, design and media.
126 Art and design may include: painting, public art, social art practice/art in the public realm, sculpture, performance art, installation, time-based art,printmaking, photography, screen productions, virtual reality, multimedia,digital and interactive art and design, fine art digital media, software design for visual artefacts, animation, illustration, graphic and communication design, three-dimensional design, art and design in the landscape, interior and environmental design, theatre design, exhibition and events design,craft, applied arts, fashion, printed textiles, woven textiles, constructed textiles, knit, jewellery and metalwork, ceramics, glass, wood, metal,plastics, technology studies, automotive design, product design, furniture, art and design management, pedagogy in art and design, cultural, theoretical and historical studies (where this is principally contextual to contemporary
practice and culture within art and design).

127 The Council will also support research in architecture that concerns building design (but not structural or civil or other aspects of engineering).

128 Arts management research will be supported where there is a clear focus on the requirements of the visual or media arts. (Support for such research may also be sought from the Arts Councils). Alternatively, where the focus is on arts management within music and the performing arts, applications may be more appropriately directed to Panel 7 (Music and the Performing Arts). You should also bear in mind that ESRC supports work on the socio-economic foundations and impact of the creative and cultural industries.

129 The Council may support courses in Arts therapy where the predominant focus of the study is based in the arts and humanities, rather than in medicine and psychology.

130 History of art, architecture and design may include: history of art,
architecture, and design, in the widest chronological and geographical
framework; theory and aesthetics of the visual arts; museology, museum studies, and conservation; history of film, photography, and visual media; work in cognate fields such as cultural and gender studies, archaeology, and anthropology, where these relate to, or are grouped with, study of the visual arts.

131 In addition, it should be noted that:
applications in Museology, curatorship and conservation should be directed to this Panel only where the focus is on curating visual arts exhibitions (i.e. curatorial practice). Other such applications should normally be directed to Panel 6 (Librarianship, Information and Museum Studies), except where the focus is archaeological, when they may be more appropriate for Panel 1 (Classics, Ancient History and Archaeology)
applications in some aspects of cultural geography may be appropriately directed to this Panel, covering matters such as the iconography and interpretation of the cultural landscape; cultural constructions of nature and environment; creative and imaginative aspects of geographical thought and practice, including the arts of
mapping; relationships between space, place and cultural identity. In
some cases, applications could be directed to Panel 4 (Medieval and Modern History).

132 The Council does not accept applications that are clearly anthropological in nature.

133 Communication, cultural and media studies constitutes an area of study for which the AHRC shares responsibility with ESRC. It includes:
communication studies, including electronic communications; cultural
studies; film studies; and media studies.

134 Study in these areas may fall within the domain of this Panel, particularly where the focus is practice-based and on images. Other applications may be appropriately addressed to Panel 3 (English Language and Literature), Panel 5 (Modern Languages and Linguistics) or Panel 7 (Music and Performing Arts). Where the focus of the proposed work is on social or economic issues, applications may be more appropriately addressed to ESRC.
Reply 4
Thanks, Vicky, but that's still not a conclusive answer, is it? 133 may or may not include journalism.
Reply 5
Nope it doesn't unfortunately, I've not seen the word journalism anywhere (currently trawling through the guidance stuff as I'm applying)
Reply 6
This is only a very rough guess, but I imagine "communication studies" as listed under 133 covers courses where you would be conducting /research/ into journalism, but not training for a career in journalism.

Having said that, though, the AHRC has a funding scheme for "professional preperation masters". Maybe you apply for that under panel 2? *boggles*
Reply 7
coldfish
This is only a very rough guess, but I imagine "communication studies" as listed under 133 covers courses where you would be conducting /research/ into journalism, but not training for a career in journalism.

Having said that, though, the AHRC has a funding scheme for "professional preperation masters". Maybe you apply for that under panel 2? *boggles*

Looking at the guide for the professional preperation masters - it looks exactly the same as what I posted up there ^^
Reply 8
Why is it so confusing??
Reply 9
Amlea
Why is it so confusing??

I've come to the conclusion that you need a PhD in form filling in, just to apply for funding :confused:
Stickyvix
I've come to the conclusion that you need a PhD in form filling in, just to apply for funding :confused:

They're trying to weed out the dilettantes :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending