The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
....she got A*'s in both at GCSE
I was going to do combined English at College as I enjoyed both of my English classes, but I've decided not to now.

I think it's a personal choice. I always seemed to do better on Language exams than Literature ones even though I enjoyed Literature a lot more.

I don't really have any advice as I've never done English at Alevel, but I say that if she enjoys one more than the other then go for that one.
Reply 3
Lit is more respected if that counts anything...she should do what she will enjoy more.
That's not even a proper question! English Lit is the way forward.

Eng Lit is....:

a. So much more interesting.

b. Much more respected.

c. Considerably more interesting.

d. Also about language.

e. It's also (not sure if I mentioned this...) MUCH MORE INTERESTING! :biggrin:

Got for Eng Lit.
Reply 5
English Lit is more respected than lang as it is a traditional subject. It covers lang anyway... as englishstudent has pointed out! :smile:
Lit is a lot more respected, but really it depends on what her preferences are. If she prefers reading and analysing poetry, plays and novels, lit would be better, but if she prefers exploring language and writing, lang would be better.
Reply 7
I was told English Language is better if you are planning to go for law and teaching if that helps.
Literature is the way, the truth and the light :smile:
Reply 9
Could your friend do a combined course? I did A-level English Language and Literature, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It provides plenty of variety. It is a lot of work though, especially as you have to study each text from a literary and linguistic point of view. English language involves a lot of technical vocabulary! I would recommend the course. :smile:
face it everyone these days wants to do law dont they so its the grades you need as its that competitive rather than any particular subject, my advice would be think out of the box a bit and go with what you want to do by the way you are talkin that is to do lit so go for that, tell her not to be pushed into a subject on the basis of a degree she may not end up doing anyway
Reply 11
I feel I have to stand up for Lang here.

It's an interesting, challenging and relevent subject that doesn't just teach you how to analyse a huge variety of texts technically, but also studies how language is used by different areas of society. It tests your originality and creativity through the Original Writing module, which gives you the chance to write your own work.

Its poor reputation compared to Lit is completely unjust. It was one of my hardest subjects at AS and 2/3 of the class failed altogether.

Lit may be more 'respected' but don't let that put you off! Lang is still classed as an 'academic subject' by universities so I doubt choosing Lang over Lit will put you at any real disadvantage.

So there! :biggrin:
Reply 12
lit encoparates both lit and lang. i find lit better because you can actually studuy a books story and the language that it is written in! lit lit all the way
Reply 13
I adored English Literature. You look at language in Literature, in some serious depth, but you look at the way other people use language within literature. It's so good at expanding your analysis skills, writing skills & debating skills.
Reply 14
It's very misleading to say that lit 'incorporates' lang. Eng Lang is not just about the language that books are written in!
hi there all,

i'm an english and drama teacher (11-19) and have to inform you all that Literature is NOT the more respected subject.

In thinking that Literature incorporates Language you are thinking too much along GCSE syllabus lines, English Language at A Level is poles apart from the English Language you'll all have done at GCSE.

If your friend is going on to study Law English Language would help to inform her of the History of Language as well as Occupational Language etc. It will improve her written skills far more than Literature could.

I agree with most of you; I find English Literature far more interesting and rewarding than Language. In this case, however, I do feel that Language is the right way to go. Ultimately, though, it is your friend's personal choice which matters most.

Em
Reply 16
english lit. is indeed much more interesting :smile:
Reply 17
I would opt for a combination - English&English Literature.
Reply 18
FudgeMonkey
I am posting on behalf of my friend who has just started sixth form, and has opted for eng lang. After her lessons today, she is considering switching to lit - do you think this would be a wise move? She wants to study law btw...thanx for ur time

id choose lit myself, its more expressional i think
I am studying A2 english lang & lit, and i am very happy i chose this option because it has broadened my knowledge and given me the opportunity to be creative- obtaining an easy A last year for my coursework :smile:

ENGLISH LANG AND LIT IS THE WAY FORWARD :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending