The Student Room Group

Approximately how long until a promotion?

Hey :smile:

Just joined the workforce about a month ago after doing some traveling following having graduated from uni, and am wondering how long it takes to gain a promotion?

I consider myself to be fairly hard working and competent in my work, and take the training very seriously.

I feel a bit behind my peers as they started uni two years before I did, thus graduated 2 years earlier :redface: However I gained a lot of life experience in that time, and had saved enough to pay off my degree completely which I have done.

Thanks for reading,

DBx
How long is a piece of string.
What a useless post.
Maybe if you wrote what job you were doing and why you expect to get promoted before the othe rmembers of staff we may have more to go on.
Reply 3
Ok well I thought you might've read my profile, but in case you didn't I work for the ATO, which is a government organisation - thus I have a graduate job with the Australian public service :smile:

I'm working really hard and taking my training home with me, and have been told I'm learning (all the necessary computer skills) at a faster rate than the other 3 people that started.

However they're a bit younger and less keen than me, that could be it! Whereas I'm making up for lost time lol.
So you work for a public service which we, student, in another country would know little about. How do you expect us to tell you when you get promotion?
Who is to say there is promotion in your job and why do you think you are more deserving then the other three? Just because you are slightly older, take your work home with you and learning computer skills faster, unless they are right %%%%%%%%%%%%%% you will not necessry be put up for promotion faster then them.
Why do you want prmotion? More money?
Maybe you should ask around at your job as no one has an answer to this question. It id down to you, your organisation and your boss.
Reply 5
Did you have the career progression discussion at interview stage?
Reply 6
Becky_Sheffield
How long is a piece of string.
What a useless post.

It's not useless at all.

Well maybe it is to a student who doesn't know anything about career progression.

Danni, a lot of companies have annual reviews where they will consider promotions. This usually happens at the end of the financial year. You may also have performance appraisals, but they are very much dictated by the company you work for. Quarterly appraisals are common for low levwl positions, but look over your contract of employment. Appraisals will let you know if you are on the right path for a promotion and will also show if you have worked to the correct standard and achieved your objectives and standards set out by your manager.

So it does depend on how much effort you put in, and if you achieve the goals set out by your manager. Appraisals will give you the feedback you need though.

I aim for promotion every two years to a more senior position, and I work very hard for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending