The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yeah they are, Manchester, KCL and school of pharmacy are the tops ones along with, Nottingham, and Cardiff :smile: Bradford is usually down the list but its ok
As far as I'm aware there's no specific ranking for schools of pharmacy so go to open days and see how you, and I stress that again- how you feel, about the course and place.
Reply 3
but you don't really have to go to open days though, most of the unis you choose will probably ask you to attend an interview or visit day after you've applied so you can see the place and see if you'll like it :smile:
Reply 4
Manchester, KCL and LSOP are the best in the country, Bradford ain't too bad either. You have made really good choices!
Well, says who?

It can always be argue, depending on a number of variables, that one is better than another.

There's no data for schools/departments of pharmacy.

Dad's a pharmer, as well as my neighbours parents, and they would argue that there's not much between them so you should possibly take into account the city and the university as a whole - rather than reputation.

I feel if you base you choice on reputations you may feel disappointed.
It all depends on course and place really. All the uni's listed take the course from different angles like Manchester tends to focus on maths and calculations in the first year so i hear and then they get into the "real" pharmacy second year whereas other places tend to mix it up a bit. I know somebody who got an offer from Manchester and made the grades but rejected them in favour of JMU because she liked it better

Like Allthewayhome said, basing choice on reputation, you might feel disappointed. Just because it's popular, it might not suit you. Open days and talking to current students really helps :smile:.
Reply 7
pfft, king's, good? you might aswell just burn your money. You'll be INCREDIBLY hard pressed to find anyone who'd even give you a second look with a degree from kings!
Irrelevance
It all depends on course and place really. All the uni's listed take the course from different angles like Manchester tends to focus on maths and calculations in the first year so i hear and then they get into the "real" pharmacy second year whereas other places tend to mix it up a bit. I know somebody who got an offer from Manchester and made the grades but rejected them in favour of JMU because she liked it better

Like Allthewayhome said, basing choice on reputation, you might feel disappointed. Just because it's popular, it might not suit you. Open days and talking to current students really helps :smile:.

Now there's a chap with an once of reality!
Reply 9
:hare: Yeaah it is a good idea to go to the open days of these unis but...there is a slightly smaaaall problem- I am not from the UK ,and that makes things little harder.And that's why I have posted this thread:tongue:
Ah i see, now that is a problem lol.

Coming overseas is a bit tricky, but i guess it would be beneficial to come over to the UK for a couple of weeks and visit the London uni's and Manchester because they're easy(ier) to reach. And it is worth it in the end seeing as you'll be studying there for 4/5 years - don't want you picking somewhere you don't feel at home at!

And in my opinion, i would substitute Bradford for Liverpool John Moores - LJMU's offer's are only 1 grade higher than Bradford but the location is much better
Reply 11
vesi
:hare: Yeaah it is a good idea to go to the open days of these unis but...there is a slightly smaaaall problem- I am not from the UK ,and that makes things little harder.And that's why I have posted this thread:tongue:

i thought you were coming from aboard, i would suggest you resaerch the different unis and the cost of living there cos London's really expensive. the accomdation in london is around £110 a week but somewhere like bradford is only £70. also look at the city and how busy it is and transport and generally see if you'll like it.

then look at the unis overall reputation in leauge tables in all subjects cos most pharmacy courses are pretty much the same. so if you want to go to a high ranking uni that does pharmacy, like kings then you can apply there. the times and the guardian are the most common uni league tables :smile: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php
Reply 12
Kings was among the first unis that I spotted for pharmacy, but their entry requirements are a bit high, they want a score of 109 of ibt TOEFL :smile: and don't even accept CAE which I am intending to sit too :smile:. We'll see :biggrin: Anyway thanx very much for your help guys.
Reply 13
HawkAhriman
pfft, king's, good? you might aswell just burn your money. You'll be INCREDIBLY hard pressed to find anyone who'd even give you a second look with a degree from kings!

Any chance of telling us why? I've heard it's one of the better institutions.
Reply 14
Well, the unis are good from reputation true, but I have tbh I personally liked LSOP much better than Kings, so it is all up to visiting them and seeing which one you like.

Oh and HawkAhriman, if you are saying that about kings, then what about the people who go to the lower unis such as bradford, what would they do to those degrees then? Yes, we have to be realistic, but don't you think that you are going a little too far?
you're playing along....right? You're not actually taking me seriously, surely?
Reply 16
Oh, woops! i didn't read your post properly, lol I did think that it would be really stupid for someone to say such a thing about kings.....
lol...'sok, I get that quite a bit with my sarcasm.

I'm not good at making it obvious. :P

Latest

Trending

Trending