The Student Room Group

Uni Advice

Hey,

I am currently pondering different things, and I was wondering if any one had any thoughts or advice.

My career goal is to become a doctor. Btw, I am American, but love England, especially London. I really would like to live in England for a portion of time. I really want to go to an English Uni, such as Bristol, Cambridge, or Imperial for an undergradute degree such in Natural Sciences or Anatomy. The prospect (sp) of studying Anatomy at Bristol for three years is very exciting for me, and I would love to do it. I also like the English uni education system more. However, I am not sure if I want to come back to the US for med. school or continue in the UK. Yet, US Med Schools require a US pre-med education. So, I can either basically do the entire medical school education entirely in the US or the UK. I was thinking of the UK and then testing back in. But, then, I am not sure of how a foriegn medical school would look in the US.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. Any advice or personal experiences would be lovely... Thanks! :tsr2:
The med forum is fairly active and should get you some responses.
Reply 2
If you do the 5 or 6 year medical education in the UK, you will need to pass the USMLE to practice in the US. Although this is relatively similar to finals, it is an expensive process and not everybody passes (by any means). Furthermore, as an international student, your education in the UK would be pretty pricey and the work situation is unclear at the moment as the British Govt is trying to limit the job opportunities of immigrant doctors.

If you do a BSc here followed by an MD or DO in the US, your British degree may not carry enough of the material required for pre-med. I'll admit my knowledge on this is practically non-existant, you may need to get advice from a US source on this.
Reply 3
Renal

If you do a BSc here followed by an MD or DO in the US, your British degree may not carry enough of the material required for pre-med. I'll admit my knowledge on this is practically non-existant, you may need to get advice from a US source on this.

My knowledge is also (if not more) sketchy. I thought the American undergrad course by its nature was libral and so you don't really cover much of - well, anything in great detail (a slight exaggeration). Since the American MD is a postgrad degree anyway, surely doing a BSc here is just an uber expensive qualifier?
I think it'd be better for you, ideally, to come over here and study medicine rather than a BSc. As somebody above me said, you can sit your American exams whilst training in the UK if you really have the determination to! Plus, if you decide to stay in the UK after a BSc degree, it'll just take longer than before and will also cost a hell of a lot more!!

Its up to you ultimately. And why England? What's wrong with us Scots? :biggrin:
Reply 5
graemematt
What's wrong with us Scots? :biggrin:
We can start with the fact that you're in Jockland and go from there... :p:
Renal
We can start with the fact that you're in Jockland and go from there... :p:

Sticks and stones:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending