The Student Room Group

Any possibility of sitting GCSEs in November?

Hi there! :smile:

I'm home-schooled due to illness and am currently studying for nine GCSEs. I've had to defer my exams until 2009, as I had a slight setback over the Christmas period. I think the exam content and coursework should be finished by August/September, and so it got me wondering... is there any possibility of sitting them in November 2008, rather than June 09'?

I've asked various people about this... and have received various answers! Some have said you can only do Maths, some have said you can do Maths, English and Science, others have said you can do them all, but only with permission of the exam officer at your school.

Does anyone know for certain what is true? Also, would any mitigating circumstances be taken into account, which may allow me to sit them in November?

Answers appreciated. :smile:
According to what I know you can only resit, Maths and English in November if you have previously completed a GCSE examination the previous May/June. All other examinations must be taken in May/June as there is only one examination period. If there was to be the option for GCSEs to be taken earlier, this would mean the exam boards would have to create several papers for the year for each subject. Past papers are only available for subjects outside English and Maths for the one examination period so this must mean I am right.

You could apply for a mitigating circumstance consideration to get extra credit, but whether this would be accepted by the exam board would depend upon how your illness affects your ability to work.
Oh, that's a shame! :frown: I was hoping I could get them out of the way, and spend the next ten months trying to get myself better before sixth form.

By the way-- I know for definite that Maths/English/Science can be taken for the first time in June. I just wasn’t sure about the others…

Regarding mitigating circumstances, I think I would qualify. My illness can affect concentration to a severe extent, and cause all sorts of neurological problems.
Reply 3
I took my Maths GCSE in November year 10 before i did any others.
Yep I took my maths GCSE in Year 10 as well...

OP I would definately think of taking a few early if you can, just to get them out of the way!
No I don't think so.

And even if you could I don't think your coursework deadline would be any different (ie, late spring/early summer)

Best of luck with it all though.
Thanks for the replies.

Does that mean the C/W deadline is still March then? I'm sitting my Maths GCSEs in November. :confused:
I think so, yes.
Reply 8
AnythingButChardonnay
No I don't think so.

And even if you could I don't think your coursework deadline would be any different (ie, late spring/early summer)

Best of luck with it all though.

no the coursework deadline for november exams in the begining of october or something like that,
i took my maths then early.

and i thought it was just english and maths you could do then because those are the two most important GCSEs apparantly
Annaconda
no the coursework deadline for november exams in the begining of october or something like that,
i took my maths then early.

and i thought it was just english and maths you could do then because those are the two most important GCSEs apparantly

THANK GOD! :eek: I was really worried then...

By the way-- I was thinking of taking English Language in the November session too! :smile: Would this put me at any kind of disadvantage when applying to university? I would like to go to a top uni, and was wondering whether or not they’d question why I didn’t take them all at the same time.

Also… is the English paper harder in November? :confused:
Just bumping up this thread to see if anyone can answer my questions... :smile:
Sorry to bump this up again. :redface:

My thread was slipping onto the second page... if I don't get it answered I'm going to worry constantly! :redface:

It is in relation to this question:

I was thinking of taking English Language in the November session too! Would this put me at any kind of disadvantage when applying to university? I would like to go to a top uni, and was wondering whether or not they’d question why I didn’t take them all at the same time.

Also… is the English paper harder in November
No it wont

and worrying this much is going to get you depressed..
I don't know about the GCSEs but I'm sitting for my IGCSE exams in November this year..

Latest