The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not even the pink fluffy ones?
Reply 21
That's such a stupid thing to say. I think they're just jealous of the fact that you're already slim: the gym's not a place for just fat people - it's a place where people, like you, can just fit in some regular exercise! Clearly those girls realise this, but are just being stupid for the sake of it - which is pathetic once you get past a certain age. Ignore them.
buttons_andbeads
it has put me off going to the gym really as I don't want to see these girls again - they were pretty intimidating!

don't let it stop you going, you have every right to be there as them and it's none of their business. Their probably just jealous of you. I doubt they will bother you again but if they do, just ignore them or politely tell them that you're there just to exercise and don't wish to engage in discussion. If they continue harassing you, report it to a member of staff.
ben_stretch
Not even the pink fluffy ones?

not even them :p:
Reply 24
buttons_andbeads
have you ever come across them?
I was at the gym today and three girls of about my age (18) came up to me and were like
"what size clothes do you take?" which I thought was a bit strange but told them 8.
"so why are you here then?"
me-"for exercise...?"
"but you're a size 8."
"yes..."
"so you're just showing off by being here."
"no I just came here for exercise..."
and so it carried on for about five minutes with them basically saying that I shouldn't be allowed to the gym because I'm already slim!?!?

Now is it just me or is this really rude!? They weren't exactly big girls or anything and it has put me off going to the gym really as I don't want to see these girls again - they were pretty intimidating!

has any one else had any experiences like this?:s-smilie:

Complain to your gym about then, surely that comes under misconduct?
Don't feel intimidated, I mean what are they gonna do to you? I think if anybody ever speaks to you again you should say you feel it's very worrying that there is such a widespread attitude in this country that eating well and exercising is seen only as a tool for weightloss, when we should all be concentrating far more on our health. Say that what you look like is by no means the be all and end all and it's more important to be fit and look after yourself than be constantly thinking about clothes size or a number on the scales.

I had a similar experience once, not at the gym but at a weightloss club. I'd joined because I wanted to lose a bit of weight I'd gained during a bout of depression and was made to feel seriously unwelcome because I wasn't noticably overweight. Like people are only entitled to attend something like that if they're eighteen stone or something. It was funny being called "the skinny one" in a nasty tone of voice for the first few times, simply for the novelty of being called skinny I guess, but it soon got old. If they make any more comments, just tell a member of staff. You're paying your membership fee just like everybody is, you're just as entitled as anyone else to be there.
Reply 26
What a bunch of idiots. Anyone can use a gym.
They sound jealous.

Latest

Trending

Trending