The Student Room Group

HMRC customer service consultant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Hey,

I am currently an AO but have applied for the customer service team leader position, I have only been an AO for a few months and i'm not expecting to get the role but I figured that I could use the experience and feedback for when I apply again.
I'm just prepping for the interview - questions will be leadership, communicating and influencing and it says there will be a question on strength.

Does anyone have any tips?

I have written a few examples for the leadership and communicating and influencing questions in the STAR format, I'm thinking I will use the same example I used for the AO interview for C/I I scored a 6 with that answer just pad it out a bit more. Leadership I am struggling with but do have an example or 2 I can pull from. But i'm worried about the strength question I have no idea what they could ask or how to answer it.
Has anyone here started this role in the past few weeks/months?
(edited 2 years ago)
Good luck to those starting today ☺️
I've heard one has to pass probation before moving to another role, is this correct? If so, can I apply once i passed probation or a month before?
Original post by LEW86
Hey,

I am currently an AO but have applied for the customer service team leader position, I have only been an AO for a few months and i'm not expecting to get the role but I figured that I could use the experience and feedback for when I apply again.
I'm just prepping for the interview - questions will be leadership, communicating and influencing and it says there will be a question on strength.

Does anyone have any tips?

I have written a few examples for the leadership and communicating and influencing questions in the STAR format, I'm thinking I will use the same example I used for the AO interview for C/I I scored a 6 with that answer just pad it out a bit more. Leadership I am struggling with but do have an example or 2 I can pull from. But i'm worried about the strength question I have no idea what they could ask or how to answer it.

Hey there, I was an AO and passed onto an O band position after 9 months from my start date and 3 months after my probation (with the new PCR probations are now 6 months subject to performance and conduct); I can help you with that if you want - direct PM me with your behaviors and I will insert my comments. If you know anyone that can help me with HO competencies would be highly appreciated thank you
Original post by Shah99
I've heard one has to pass probation before moving to another role, is this correct? If so, can I apply once i passed probation or a month before?

if its a promotion you dont have to have passed probation unless obviously the application states so. You should speak to your manager before applying.
Worked as a customer services consultant and I constantly look back and think about how glad I am to be out of there.

The training is absolutely hopeless, there’s no wonder most customers that call up are either complaining about mistakes that have been made by us, or get no help because no one knows what they’re doing!

They throw you in at the deep end, so you could easily make serious mistakes that cause a lot of stress and disruption to peoples lives. To be really good at the job, you need experience, so whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with being thrown into it, they need to provide more training, better training and work harder to keep their longer term staff so they don’t have to keep training up and putting new people on the phones that have no idea. They trained us up and put us in one department, I was just starting to get comfortable with it and then they moved us to do a completely different type of tax!

On top of this, your whole day is controlled. You have to go into certain codes to go to the loo etc. If you do this too often or are away for too long, expect to be questioned by your line manager. The number of calls you make will be looked at in your monthly reviews and if they’re not good enough, you will be told. Your hold times, call times, after call wrap up times and break times will all be analysed each month and taken very seriously. You barely have room to breathe!!

Your manager may have no experience in the department/calls you’re taking, so it’s likely you’ll have to go to other people for help.

I will say my team were nice, and my manager was great at getting the team together and making an effort for us. I don’t blame them for the above, they’re just doing their job, but the culture and the way you’re treated is just shocking.

I had so many awful calls, being shouted at, called names, people threatening to hurt themselves etc, and I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I cried over having to do this job. I definitely didn’t get paid enough to justify this.

If you love customer service, have a dominant personality and don’t mind being micro managed, then you won’t have an issue. However, if you’re not as hard skinned and like to get on with things at your own pace, this won’t be for you. So many people are positive about the job here, and I’m not trying to put anyone down, do what’s right for you! But I have to be honest so you all know what you’re getting into. Don’t put yourself through it if you don’t think you’re right for it. My mental health suffered way too much to not warn others.
Original post by Bexi2405
No I’m still waiting. I’ve applied for Leeds/Bradford got my PO nearly 6 weeks ago. Got a questionnaire sent today from duradiamond health to fill in. But that’s all I’ve heard nothing else. Have you had this questionnaire sent already?
Hi
how long did occupational assessment take to contact you and asses you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending