The Student Room Group

Those currently (and going to go) on a gap year

So yeah I need ideas of what to do :p:

Well I know things like more work exp and such, but how would I go about applying for stuff like that? (I was thinking more like a temporary job in the healthcare environment maybe....)

Not sure how to go about searching :p: I looked on the NHS jobs thing and that just confuses me lol :s-smilie:
Reply 1
OK so my job was on the jobs NHS site. Look for things like ward clerks or HCAs? Although I know in some HCA vacancies you need NVQs and things.
Or try other job vacancy sites, Reed for example's pretty good? I got some medical secretarial work (temping) for a while.
You're in Kent but I'm not sure which part, if London's convenient you could try the Gumtree website

I'm assuming you want paid work? If you're looking for unpaid work experience, try hospices/care homes etc that are always looking for volunteers.

PS, it's all good getting the work experience but make sure you talk about how much you LEARNT on it as opposed to how much you DID. :smile:
Do they have phone books and telephones in your area? :wink:

Or even post boxes? Or e-mails?

If so, use them. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Speedbird2008
Do they have phone books and telephones in your area? :wink:

Or even post boxes? Or e-mails?

If so, use them. :biggrin:

Of course not :biggrin:

Would be an idea i spose :p:
i've been applying to jobs on the nhs website for my upcoming gap year...but...so far on all of them i mentioned i'd be on a gap year when working
my dad just told me that telling them i'll be on a gap year will put them off employing since i'd only be with them for a year :s-smilie:
people who took gap years...did u mention ur gap year when applying for a job?

thanx :p:

:tsr2:
Reply 5
wow that gumtree website must be god's gift
i keep tellin u get a job!!! then u can afford 2 come out n get pissed wiv me haha
(yes im very unhelpful i kno :p:)
tam.tam
i've been applying to jobs on the nhs website for my upcoming gap year...but...so far on all of them i mentioned i'd be on a gap year when working
my dad just told me that telling them i'll be on a gap year will put them off employing since i'd only be with them for a year :s-smilie:

I mentioned my gap year when I applied for jobs, and i think sometimes it was actually an advantage. I'm sure there were some places that were put off by it, but saying I was planning on doing medicine showed an interest in healthcare and sort of made up for the fact that I'd never worked in a hospital before (except work exp). Try applying for fixed term temporary on NHS jobs, even if they say its only for a month or two they're quite often extended, and the gap year won't be a disadvatage. Even if your contract does end after a couple of months you'll have contacts and experience and can try NHS Professionals. I think temporary jobs are easier to get aswell because most people prefer permenant jobs.

OP I would defo recomend getting a job in a hospital, the job itself might be boring (I spent most of the time getting notes) but its a really good experience and I learnt so much more than on any work experience. The moneys obv nice aswell! I started off dreading this year but its actually been the best thing ever.
Reply 8
not to put you off,:redface: I mean definitely do more medical work experience but don't forget.. you can only write so much in a personal statement and you can only say so much in an interview.. I mean when the interviewer asks you about your WE, you're not going to be able to list EVERY work experience you undertook, just pick a good example where you can delve more deeply into the matter i.e. what it showed you about a career in medicine, the variety etc

I mean when i had my interview at UCL, they asked me alot about my extracurricular activities so much to a certain extent they said "oo, we better get onto talking about the medical related side" :redface: :p:

but jobs where it shows you working as part of a team, being responsible, interacting with the public all are attributes of a good doctor.. by all means do the medical WE, but if your unlucky and can't find much there's always the normal everyday stuff that you can turn in your favour.

am aware i didn't actually answer your question :redface: (sorry!!) but thought i'd give you a bit of an insight from a current gap year-er:p:

p.s. i have three jobs atm.. only one is medically related:rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 9
cis2320
not to put you off,:redface: I mean definitely do more medical work experience but don't forget.. you can only write so much in a personal statement and you can only say so much in an interview.. I mean when the interviewer asks you about your WE, you're not going to be able to list EVERY work experience you undertook, just pick a good example where you can delve more deeply into the matter i.e. what it showed you about a career in medicine, the variety etc

I mean when i had my interview at UCL, they asked me alot about my extracurricular activities so much to a certain extent they said "oo, we better get onto talking about the medical related side" :redface: :p:

but jobs where it shows you working as part of a team, being responsible, interacting with the public all are attributes of a good doctor.. by all means do the medical WE, but if your unlucky and can't find much there's always the normal everyday stuff that you can turn in your favour.

am aware i didn't actually answer your question :redface: (sorry!!) but thought i'd give you a bit of an insight from a current gap year-er:p:

p.s. i have three jobs atm.. only one is medically related:rolleyes: :biggrin:

I can see your point when you say there is only so much that can be written about and talked about, but I just don't want to be on a gap year and not do much :p: I'd like something to keep me busy :smile:

And three jobs?? That's a lot... :s-smilie:
Reply 10
FFCrusader
I can see your point when you say there is only so much that can be written about and talked about, but I just don't want to be on a gap year and not do much :p: I'd like something to keep me busy :smile:

And three jobs?? That's a lot... :s-smilie:

lol by no means am i saying stay at home and do "jack all" but if you find it hard or can't find any work to do with medicine then all's not lost.. there is so much else that you can do that applies to the concept of medicine and skills of a doctor.. so enjoy your gap year :smile: ..(helps to save up a bit for 5/6 yrs of med :eek: )

haha :rolleyes: it sounds a lot but i'd prefer to do that than sit at home and stare at TSR forum..:rolleyes::p: although funnily enough, i find that i have tons of free time :rolleyes:
FFCrusader
So yeah I need ideas of what to do :p:

Well I know things like more work exp and such, but how would I go about applying for stuff like that? (I was thinking more like a temporary job in the healthcare environment maybe....)

Not sure how to go about searching :p: I looked on the NHS jobs thing and that just confuses me lol :s-smilie:

work.

internet, yellow pages, recruitment companies?

nhs is a large organisation i hear.

the nhs jobs site is brillo. makes applying for many jobs hella easy. also useful for checking how much your colleagues earn.
tam.tam
=

up to you. i'd mention it if asked.

but don't worry, there are plenty of people out there willing to employ unwitting school leavers who are easy to push around and won't complain!
Reply 13
I'm working July->Early December, then travelling from the tip of India northwards to Nepal, then going through Bangladesh, flying into Myanmar (due to damn closed borders >:s-smilie:) Then going through (in this order) N. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, S. Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and finishing in Australia.... For me this year is a year to take a break from anything academic and just have 9 months of pure travelling freedom

Latest

Trending

Trending