The Student Room Group

Urgent Help required, Very confused, 4 rejections :(

I got 4 rejections for Medicine, Manchester gave me an interview and rejected me. Keele, Queen Mary, and Kings rejected me without an offer.
With some contacts at manchester univerisity i have ended up with an offer for Economics (BSC) but having given it enough thought iv realised that even though it can lead to a great career my heart is still set on medicine. Should i accept the offer for economics or should i wait till i get my results and then ring around to all the universities and hope for the best as after reading some of the stories its given me a tiny bit of hope.

Im very confused please pls pls HELLPP!!:s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what are your results so far and what are you predicted: GCSE and As/A Level
Reply 2
you could always go on to do postgrad medicine. MAybe do some medicine modules while doing economics degree.
Reply 3
p20253
I got 4 rejections for Medicine, Manchester gave me an interview and rejected me. Keele, Queen Mary, and Kings rejected me without an offer.
With some contacts at manchester univerisity i have ended up with an offer for Economics (BSC) but having given it enough thought iv realised that even though it can lead to a great career my heart is still set on medicine. Should i accept the offer for economics or should i wait till i get my results and then ring around to all the universities and hope for the best as after reading some of the stories its given me a tiny bit of hope.

Don't get your hopes up. :fuhrer:
Reply 4
right it would deff help if we knew ur results i guess...
apart from that why not go thames valley uni for its pre med course or some similar course. thats in ucas extras now and its a defered entry into medicine. it will make you feel better for 1 year and there is the tiny chance u may get in.:smile: see... happy news :smile:
Reply 5
Why were you rejected? Can you fix it?

If the answer is yes, fix it and reapply.
If the answer is no, become an economist.
Simple.
Reply 6
louiscbrooks
you could always go on to do postgrad medicine. MAybe do some medicine modules while doing economics degree.
You could however there is very little logic in doing this and certainly no benefit.
Reply 7
p20253
I got 4 rejections for Medicine, Manchester gave me an interview and rejected me. Keele, Queen Mary, and Kings rejected me without an offer.With some contacts at manchester univerisity i have ended up with an offer for Economics (BSC) but having given it enough thought iv realised that even though it can lead to a great career my heart is still set on medicine. Should i accept the offer for economics or should i wait till i get my results and then ring around to all the universities and hope for the best as after reading some of the stories its given me a tiny bit of hope.

Im very confused please pls pls HELLPP!!:s-smilie: :s-smilie:

The options are simple.

ON course for AAA? ----> reapply
Can't get AAB?-------------> Start working
Havent got a hope in hell? --------> do economics.
Reply 8
I would reapply if I was you, theres no point of doing economics if you want to do medicine, you'll probably regret it later in life. More people get rejected than accepted for medicine something like 3 people for each person that gets in, so dont worry too much. Reapplying is your best option and if you get AAA or AAB then your chances greatly improve. Follow your heart and do something that interests you.
yifan's heroes
Medicine is extremely hard to get into, unfortunately.

If you want to have a realistic chance to get into the medicine course of a "good" university, (lets say, Oxbridge, IC, UCL, etc) you should get:

5 "A"s in A-levels, yes I said "FIVE", and, one of them must not be a science/maths. Ideally English, History, etc.

and By the way, they expect you to achieve those five "A" s in TWO years.

First of all, what the hell are you on about?!?! Oxford only want 3 A levels.
Secondly, time and time again it doesn't matter if you get your degree from a "good" uni or not. You'll still be a doctor. I don't see why people get so hung up on reputation. You have to like the uni and see it as good.

If it was sarcasm/joke then a wink or a smiley face could have down the job.

Also if your on an Aeronautical Engineering Degree for this year's entry, why are you giving out advice in a medicine forum?
yifan's heroes

If you want to have a realistic chance to get into the medicine course of a "good" university, (lets say, Oxbridge, IC, UCL, etc) you should get:

5 "A"s in A-levels, yes I said "FIVE", and, one of them must not be a science/maths. Ideally English, History, etc.

I dont places ask for 5 at all, they may offer you 4 grades but that's only if you are doing 4 a Levels?

I also don't believe that one has to be a non science either
Reply 11
Don't worry about it, lots of people have got 4 rejections.
If you still have your heart set on doing medicine, then just get your 3As this year and reapply!
Or, apply for a course that can get you into grad medicine (such as biomed for eg)

Worse comes to worse, if you don't get the grades this year (min AAB) then re-do your A-levels and apply to unis that allow you to do your A-levels in a period > 2 years.

It's not the end of the world, i currently hold no offer either. Just keep trying!

:smile:
Reply 12
yifan's heroes

Thats the most hopelessly irrelavent and misguided posts I have read in a while. Captain cretin to the rescue:rolleyes:
my friend got rejected for doing medicine took a gap year and did some work expereince in hospitals and got an offer! her grades were AABC

maybe take a gap year and re apply!
Wangers
Thats the most hopelessly irrelavent and misguided posts I have read in a while. Captain cretin to the rescue:rolleyes:

then please tell me why my friend get rejected even though he got "A"s in 3 sciences and 1 "A" in maths with 4 "A"s in total.
Reply 15
many people got rejected with amazing grades, 4As scorers or predicted scorers getting rejected everywhere isn't uncommon at all. I think it all boils down to the personal statement and testimonial, after all, those two criteria determine what kind of impression the admissions tutors get before meeting you in person.(and to decide whether or not you're worth meeting with)
Reply 16
yifan's heroes
then please tell me why my friend get rejected even though he got "A"s in 3 sciences and 1 "A" in maths with 4 "A"s in total.

There might be a million reasons!

Poor work experience or not enough....
No extracurricular activities...
Badly written PS....
Poor interview performance....
Lack of proven commitment....
Unlikely to fit in at particular med school...

A level grades are not the only reason you get accepted or rejected. why is this so hard to understand?

I was on one of the interview panels for prospective students at Barts a couple of years ago. All the applicants had good grades, therefore we had to make decisions based on other aspects. Unfortunately, if there happen to be other more rounded interesting or likeable candidates, with good enough grades then you might not get a place!!!
Reply 17
Don't take this personally but he could just be boring! Thats as good a reason as any other when there are so many applicants!
yifan's heroes

This is what people dont get about medicine.. schools arent just looking for someone academically able - if you get AAB the chances are that you're smart enough to get through the academic side of medicine.

What schools like for it someone who not only will be a good medical student.. but is capable of being a good doctor at the end of it. They need to know that applicants have done their research (work experience, can answer interview questions etc) and understand the negative side of being a doctor - of which there are many.
Reply 19
Yifan's heroes - that is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. apart from your facts of what you need being wrong, it is also a rather strange comment to say 'the medicine course of a "good" university' as gaining a post grad job as a doctor will most likely not be affected by the university you went to. to gain a medical degree is extremely universal - there is no classification of grades and to get into medicine you must have high grades anyway - i.e no one will be particularly stupid. the reason your friend got rejected with 4 A's is nothing to do with the fact he didn't have 5. in fact if you knew what you you were talkin about you would know that medical schools don't care if you have 300 A 's at A level; they want AAB/AAA. Most want you to gain those A's in two years but there are some exceptions, and also more exceptions for some one with extenuating circumstances. Your friend could have failed for many reasons - poor interview performance, poor personal statement, not enough work experience, lack of people skills, understanding, empathy etc, lack of passion or commitment for the subject, lack of many other things aside from his 4 A's.

To the OP: Maybe as mnay have said you should tell us your grades/ expected grades. Peninsula for example garuntee interviews to students who have taken a year out who already have AAB (even ABB if it is in the right subject requirements etc). If your heart is in medicine then you should at least spend one more year trying - you will have nothing to lost and could gain a lot from a gap year. You can reject your place for economics on results day if you decide you have the results to reapply, and if you dont have the grades but dont want to do economics then you can reapply to something else. Perhaps next year if you reapply put a place down as a back up - something that you could either take into post grad medicine or something that you could see yourself doing other than medicine. If you rush into taking this economics course and you aren't sure then it may become more difficult.

Latest

Trending

Trending